Thread: Any thought about a Achilles 15' Inflatable?

Default Any thought about a Achilles 15' Inflatable?

Also looking at possiby looking to buy Archilles 15'-6" Boat that comes with 40HP Engine (would be first boat) any thoughts about this boat for hunting and fishing? What to look for in the boat? Also, still interseted in places to go in Southcentral.

It all depends on what you intend to use it for. My first was a 10' with a 9.9 hp yamaha. For me at that time it was great because it got me out. It was worth every dime I paid for it until I had an accident with it (long story). I have seen 15ish footers out in the salt on days I didn't care to be there but then again getting wet isn't as fun as it used to be. You should post some more specific info. or thoughts your having to get the best answers though.

An inflatable of that size is a very useful boat, and can take some serious water with some caveats. The inflatables are light and if you get carried away in rough water into a headwind, you can get blown over. It's not the ideal setup for rivers, assuming a prop drive.

I'd say the pro's of an inflatable are they are generally very safe and can take serious water. That's a pretty good sized boat and what water you take it on is more related to how miserably wet you want to get than anything else. For use in lakes and out in PWS, K-bay and Resurection bay it'll serve you well. Just carry enough gear to be comfortable when you need to pull in and hide when it gets too rough.

Con's are low freeboard, so you can't really stand up to fish, you are physically limited as to how much stuff you can stow on board. It's a big enough boat that a couple of guys can't just pick it up and easily move it, so you'll need a trailer.

What I'd look for is the age of the boat, the materials do break down over time, and how it was stored, sunlight is the killer of inflatables. If it's more than 10 years old I'd likely pass. Also check out the bottom of the hull for abrasion. Find out what material it was made out of, ie Hypalon or PVC, and find out the differences of the materials and pro's/con's.

Default Arctic Fox

If you look at it please take a couple photos or drop me a pm.
    It comes with a canvas, & if done by Busters it should be easy to remove/ take down on nice days which will be a big plus on rainy days. Also has a large fuel tank, so you should be able to go farther than needed.
    Could be a good deal as itlooks like the guy selling it has used it in PWS a lot & should have some invaluable info to get you started.
    You would be able to use it in all the areas mentinoed, PWS, Seward, Homer, Deep Creek & the deshka.