Thread: .454 birdshot reloads

Default .454 birdshot reloads

I was hoping to find out if anyone on here has ever reloaded #9 shot for a revolver. I generally cary a .454 and would love to carry some .454 birdshot loads for those up and close grouse/ptamigan. I know that CCI makes some for a .45 colt, but I would like to roll my own.

Default cylinder lock

I never reloaded any but tried them in .357 and .44

Something I learned luckily before it became life threatening is never mix shot and solid ammo.

The recoil from the solid bullets makes the shot capsules pull out to where they hit the frame while rotating the cylinder.

This locks the gun solid and prevents further shooting till you eject all rounds and reload.

Very deadly and time consuming in a single action. Still very bad in a double action too.(we were using a .44 mag single action and had to completly drop the cylinder)

We had 3 shot shells for snakes and 3 of the 240 grainers for blackbear loaded while looking for stones for building a fireplace.(snakes like rocks)

Luckily we were only shooting snakes and were able to look things over and see what had happened.(yes, someone shot a snake with a 240 grainer by accident)

So carry something else for bear or 2 legged critters cause mixing shot and bullets is a NO NO.

Also the kill range was only 10 feet at best.....more like 7 or 8 feet before it wouldnt even put a hole in a beer can.

I tried to work up some loads for my 480 using gas checks for wads over #7 1/2 shot. Even at about 15 feet I got zero shot on the target

I've resorted to using mild cast bullet loads at about 700 fps and keep it under the hammer. I just rotate the cylinder back and even on chest shots meat loss is minimal. Just keep the velocity down

Speer makes and sells the little plastic shot capsules for the 45 caliber, I think I have some on my bench. I've used them in the 45 Colt and the 454 in Colt brass. They do work but are very short range. I have found #71/2 shot is better and has longer range than #9 even though the shot count is lower.

If you have heavy lead loads in the same cylinder with the shot as Jedi said, they will jump crimp or bust open the capsule and all the shot rolls out the end of the cylinder. Just load with all shot or all lead loads to remedy that. You can't get a very heavy crimp on the plastic capsules. With some trouble you can cut some wads for the 454 case and get more #71/2 shot in that case than in the capsule and with another cardboard wad and a very heavy roll crimp over the top (I use a Redding Profile crimp die) that makes a better shot load but a bit more trouble.

I have not taken anything the size of a grouse with them, they really are pretty anemic loads, the bigger shot would help and get very close. You can usually get pretty close to the "fool hens".
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?