Thread: Is there a muzzleloader shop around

Default Is there a muzzleloader shop around

I was wondering if there is a muzzleloader shop in the Anchorage/mat-su valley area. I was rooting around in my gun safe this afternoon and pulled out my .54 Cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I haven't shot it in about 14 years. The problem is when I joined the military I left my possibles bag with my Dad in Oregon. He has no idea where any of my stuff is, so I am going to have to replace everything. I want to see if there is a local place before I shop on Midway. Thanks.

Tom
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

About the only place I know of in Anchorage with accessories in any variety is Sportsmans. If you don't like the array and are buying online, I'd go to Track of the Wolf in Minnesota and The Gun Works in Oregon rather than Midway. Both are dedicated muzzleloading outfits with incredible selections and a whole lot of knowledge.

Welcome back to muzzleloading, BTW. That 54 cal GPR is my top pick of factory rifles for use up here.

Aside from what BrownBear stated Great Northern Guns has a small selection of ML items to be had, in fact it is the only place I have been able to find anything .58cal localy. Sportsmans has a wall dedicated to .50cal and a small asst. for .54cal.

Good point 338wm. Last time I was in there (a year ago or so) they had almost no accessories, but the guy was apologetic for the state of affairs. GNG is also a source of real black powder if you prefer it. And good to know about the 58. I cast all my own, but you never know.

Thanks, for the advice, I went and checked out sportsmans and got the basic stuff I needed. I wasn't aware they carried 54 cal stuff. I checked a couple years ago and could only find 50 cal stuff. Most of it was for the inlines. I am a traditional kind of guy. I even picked up a set of brass wall hangers. Man that gun looks good hanging up over the mantle. I used to do all my shopping at The Gun Works. But I used to go to Springfield and walk into the store. They have an amazing selection, incuding some of the most beautiful custom muzzleloaders you will ever see. One of these days I would like to get a 45 cal Kentucky style flint lock rifle, with a maple stock. I love the look of the tiger striping that wood produces.

Next time there is a gun show, I am going to have to talk to that guy who does all the leather work. I would like to see how much he would charge to make a possibles bag, and a leather case for the old smoke pole.

Glad you found what you needed. And yeah, The Gun Works are great folks. I stop in there a couple of times of year and deal with them online in between. Good to keep it local on the leather goods, but if that doesn't work out there are a number of good individuals make them around the country. They appear in the ads on the various traditional muzzleloading sites. Email me if you can't get a local one and I'll direct you to those sites. Come to think of it, the folks at the Tandy store there in Anchorage once told me they have a customer in the valley who's making them. Maybe the same guy you're thinking of. I'd stop by and ask them next time you're in the neighborhood.

Hi Slayer,

Next time you are in Wasilla check out Arrowhead Leather in the same mall as Value Village and the Mat-Su Family Restaurant right off the Parks Highway as you go north. They have cool stuff like tricorner hats, powder horns, shirt patterns, hand made arrows, leather and next door the bead shop has cool trade beads, and other such foo foraw!

Don't forget your horn or flask, bullet puller, a patch worm, a nipple wrench, nipple pick (paper clip), 54 cal brass brush, cleaning patches, bullet block in 54 cal, a short starter, and a powder measure. Welcome back Pilgrim! fun stuff! Waugh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Hi Slayer,

Next time you are in Wasilla check out Arrowhead Leather in the same mall as Value Village and the Mat-Su Family Restaurant right off the Parks Highway as you go north. They have cool stuff like tricorner hats, powder horns, shirt patterns, hand made arrows, leather and next door the bead shop has cool trade beads, and other such foo foraw!

Don't forget your horn or flask, bullet puller, a patch worm, a nipple wrench, nipple pick (paper clip), 54 cal brass brush, cleaning patches, bullet block in 54 cal, a short starter, and a powder measure. Welcome back Pilgrim! fun stuff! Waugh!!
    Shows you I lead a sheltered live. I didn't know they existed! Thanks for the heads up, even if I'm not duckslayer56.

Yeah, shows how sheltered I am too. And I even live in Wasilla. I will be sure to stop by this weekend. I have always wanted a tricorner hat. I think I could use that to complete the pirate look I try to put on while I am going upriver to my duck hunting spot. It might make other duck hunters think twice about hunting too close to me. LOL!

Even better yet would be to go to Tandy leather and get what you need to make your own.