Thread: Where did the carpet removal thread go??

Default Where did the carpet removal thread go??

As I lay here waiting for my broken leg to heal, I cruise through the forum looking forward to Spring and what improvments I want to do to the boat this year. I KNOW there were a few threads about removing carpet and installing rhino lining or a similar substitute. I have used the search engine and Google, but still can't find them. Can we open up this discussion again or if someone can find the threads on this, please post them. I'm wondering how big of a project this really is and what skill level is involved. I have a Duckworth Advantage 20ft soft top.

Thanks,
    Grizz
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks iofthetaiga, you're the search master. Those did help, but I am not doing the floor, but the sides. Here's a picture of the carpet I want to remove. 004.jpg
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I was just fishing in the blind; had a vague passing recollection of the threads, but no specifics as I wasn't a participant. Will look some more if you recall any specific search terms.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

If there is anyone on the forum that has done this with their boat, please PM me. I'l like to ask a few questions about the project

Thanks,
    Grizz

Grizzly man if you find out anything please pass it on Im wanting to do the same thing on my SJX. Thanks Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

If I had to do this, I would start be seeing if any of the covered parts are somewhat easily removable...
    screws, caulk etc. If not I would try to cut away a small section to see the adhesive and if there are
    staples etc...It appears some of it is "tucked" behind and then installed. Should be able to remove
    the panels if thats the case. I am assuming this is on Plywood or some substitute and good chance
    you will find some rot and or water damage.

I cleaned out a hull that had carpet glued everywhere in the fore peak. Used a 4000 psi pressure washer with a rotory turbo nozzle.
    Tore the carpet to smithers and cleaned down to bare fiberglass. Don`t do it if it has plywood backing. 4000 psi will eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Grizzly man if you find out anything please pass it on Im wanting to do the same thing on my SJX. Thanks Chris
    Chris, it won't be until spring when I dig the boat out, then I'll look it over and see if I want to tackle it. I'll post some pictures if I do it