Thread: How Long Should I Call For?

Default How Long Should I Call For?

I am starting to get into predator hunting and i just bought me a new fox pro, I was just curious as to how long should i leave it running and at what intervals? (e.g:let call run for five minutes and cut it off for ten minutes.) Thanks in advance.

Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR

Default How long to call

I Like to call for about 15 minutes, then wait for about 5 minutes, then stand up very slowly and look the area over closely. Then move about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and repeat. When I first get to a site to call, I set for about 5 minutes before I start calling. Let the birds start making noise again. It is best when you have a hunting partner so you can sit back to back and cover a lot of ground with out moving to much. Most of the time they come in up wind, but sometimes they just show up.

Depends on what you are calling. Fox usually come in quick, wolves take some time.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

yea, depending on what your calling, you time on stand should change. if you in an area where there are lots of lynx, you should stay on stand longer. if you think you have a good chance at a lynx, plan on sitting from 45min-1hr. if lynx season is closed, call for like 30min. i like to call for 5min and wait 2-3min then mix it up. the best way to find out what works for you is to experiment....
    good luck!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I call from 12 to 15 minutes, unless I hear or see something coming in. I'm quick to get setup and move to the next spot, trying to get in as many stands as possible in the day (or night). It's not uncommon for me to get in anywhere from 15 to 20 stands in a day. If I had limited spots to call I'd probably stay longer, but that's not the case.