Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone give me a good argument for not just going with a good '06 ?

Default Can anyone give me a good argument for not just going with a good '06 ?

I guess I'm just fishin' for feedback on WHY I should not just acquire a good 30.06 and use it for everything ? an African safari is not in the cards for me - a moose or caribou trip to AK or BC is - Rocky Mtn elk and deer hunts and spring black bear - I've been calculating "the numbers" and with a good rifle and good handloads, by my reckoning I can handle anything that comes along even out to 500 yards - So, somebody change my mind ...... and for the record I'm thinkin' of a Kimber Montana 84L with VX3 3.5 x 10 x 40mm with a custom reticle from the custom shop built to my chosen load ...

Sounds like a fine argument to me. Enjoy your new rifle !

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." ~Townsend Whelen
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Can anyone make a good argument against using the .30-06?

No. At least not anyone who makes sense.

I'm not a fan of the '06 and my records indicate I've killed a lot of critters with one-probably more than with any other round.

My only thing is that I would just skip the custom reticle idea... there's just too much excellent '06 ammo out there to lock yourself into one load and so much shooting is under 300 if not under 200 yds. and the plain duplex is more than sufficient.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Nope no argument here. Ya hardly ever see a mangalum in the bush, yet everything tends to die that gets shot.
    Now what ?

Nope, the 30-06 is the pick-up truck of the cartridge world.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

And another No. Someone on this forum says it perfectly. If you can't kill it with a 30/06 you better hide.

Another huge fan of 30-06's here. I've packed mine to every corner of the state, including Kodiak. Never felt undergunned.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I guess I'm just fishin' for feedback on WHY I should not just acquire a good 30.06 and use it for everything ? an African safari is not in the cards for me - a moose or caribou trip to AK or BC is - Rocky Mtn elk and deer hunts and spring black bear - I've been calculating "the numbers" and with a good rifle and good handloads, by my reckoning I can handle anything that comes along even out to 500 yards - So, somebody change my mind ...... and for the record I'm thinkin' of a Kimber Montana 84L with VX3 3.5 x 10 x 40mm with a custom reticle from the custom shop built to my chosen load ...
    '06's are like Chevy's and arsholes; everyone has one. Get yourself something proud.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Add some Talley's, load up some Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets and rock on. Those new Kimber 84L rifles sure do look nice. I'll be running the same scope with M1's on my 84L Montana 280 AI, if it ever gets here!

Ditto to what everyone else said!!!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

as much as i hate the 30-06 there is no reason to not have one. I only hate them because EVERYONE seems to have one and i like to be a bit different. so i went with the 280Rem in a Win M70, and will be putting a 338-06 on order soon for my Encore, both just on eiter side of the 30-06 and a little bit better in some respects with each...

but the 30-06 will do everything you would need it to.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    as much as i hate the 30-06 there is no reason to not have one. I only hate them because EVERYONE seems to have one and i like to be a bit different. so i went with the 280Rem in a Win M70, and will be putting a 338-06 on order soon for my Encore, both just on eiter side of the 30-06 and a little bit better in some respects with each...

but the 30-06 will do everything you would need it to.
    I understand that sentiment quite well, itís just how I feel about 44mag. I donít like 44mag one bit but just because EVERYBODY has at least one they brag on . . . there's not a thing wrong with the round itself though.

30-06 I can take or leave, itís a fine round that will do the job and I have many but for me itís more a case of finding guns I like that happen to be 06 rather than my going looking for an 06. I tend to pick a less plane-jane round if there's a choice but you arenít me, there is nothing wrong with a 30-06 and a whole lot right about it . . . if itís what you want you better go on and get it, you will be well served by it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well I am still laughing on how many argued you out of the 06.
    I have a couple myself and my late father was a big fan of them. He would say that there is nothing in North America that you can't hunt or kill with a 30-06. You can load up or down depending on what you are hunting meaning thick skin or thin skin.
    My Wife even took a nice moose this past year with her 308 and its geared a little lower than a 06 is.
    So i would have to say you just can't go wrong with a 30-06.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Well, I must say that my shoulder is not too sore from the arm twistin' replies ! Seldom, in today's world, might you find so many in agreement on a single topic - What started me down this road was arthritic elbows & hands, making lightweight rifles a true blessing but the "trade off" is too great for me with my "beloved" magnums and those Kimber Montana 308's are just a little bit too much of a "good thing" (for now at least) so when the 84L showed I began looking (and fondling) and that is how "lusting" begins (with guns anyhow) I am just finishing up on that 338 WSM project and it has turned out a very nice rifle but now that my shoulders are beginning to feel that arthritis it just kicks too hard - I just don't shoot factory loads unless forced to so, being "me" I will build handloads, thinking of a main load with something like a 180 Scirocco, Etip, GMX, maybe TSX then "try" to build a 200 grain load that shoots to the same POA or maybe dead on at 100-150 and I can't imagine ever "needing" another loading for big game - I may opt for that suggested simple duplex reticle as it has sufficed all these years, plenty of time for those type of things and since range finders are such a commonplace accessory all one needs is to "know" their round to make accurate longer range shots - I want to thank everyone for their valued input and PLEASE continue to comment ! (Now, if "someone" would just come up with a pair of "bionic boots" !!)

I've got two large safes double loaded with guns, and not a one is 06. One way to look at it, I have to have that many guns to do the job of one 06.

I have nothing against the 06, and in fact I'm just in between them right now. Doesn't feel right, even with all those guns. Gonna have to get another, and soon.

That's the long way around the block for telling you I think you're right on the money in your assessment.

Isn't this like asking a woman to only have one pair of shoes?
    I always avoided owning one so I could have tons of other fun calibers! One things for sure it will do all you ask it to and if you can live with just one rifle then you will have a lot of money left to buy hunts and game mounts!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

No argument from me. Might as well make it a Dakota Rifle while your at it.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Well, I must say that my shoulder is not too sore from the arm twistin' replies ! Seldom, in today's world, might you find so many in agreement on a single topic - What started me down this road was arthritic elbows & hands, making lightweight rifles a true blessing but the "trade off" is too great for me with my "beloved" magnums and those Kimber Montana 308's are just a little bit too much of a "good thing" (for now at least) so when the 84L showed I began looking (and fondling) and that is how "lusting" begins (with guns anyhow) I am just finishing up on that 338 WSM project and it has turned out a very nice rifle but now that my shoulders are beginning to feel that arthritis it just kicks too hard - I just don't shoot factory loads unless forced to so, being "me" I will build handloads, thinking of a main load with something like a 180 Scirocco, Etip, GMX, maybe TSX then "try" to build a 200 grain load that shoots to the same POA or maybe dead on at 100-150 and I can't imagine ever "needing" another loading for big game - I may opt for that suggested simple duplex reticle as it has sufficed all these years, plenty of time for those type of things and since range finders are such a commonplace accessory all one needs is to "know" their round to make accurate longer range shots - I want to thank everyone for their valued input and PLEASE continue to comment ! (Now, if "someone" would just come up with a pair of "bionic boots" !!)
    Hey, your OP was well worded. Now, if you had asked for suggestions and left the door wide open, you'd get a thousand different opinions.... But asking if there is a "good argument for not just going with the '06?"; the only correct answer is, NO.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    No argument from me. Might as well make it a Dakota Rifle while your at it.
    A 76 Traveller to be precise....

One day when the piggy bank quits hemmoraghing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast