Thread: .458 SOCOM for moose and bear?

Default .458 SOCOM for moose and bear?

I apolagize if this has been beat to death on here. I tried to search for it in previous posts and the results came up pretty slim. I left AK in 09 when I got orders out of there. I did all my hunting with a .280 Remington. I traded that rifle when I got to Arkansas as I thought I would not be back for a tleast a decade. I found out monday I am getting medically retired in 2 months and my wife and I decided to move back. I have to pay out of pocket to move back and its looking like that will cost me over 10K by the time I get there. I do not have a lot of money to invest in a gun when I get back. I just sold one of my AR-15 rifles and have 800 dollars to spend on a new hunting rifle. I do have a DPMS sweet 16 in .223. Great for deer and predators but not so much for moose and bear. I am toying with the idea of spending that money on a .458 socom upper and hunting all my big game with it. I have not been able to find a lot of load data for the cartridge though. What I have seen said I can push a 350 grain bullet at 1800fps. I see that as being plenty for moose and bear inside 150 yards. Anyone have any info on the topic that can help? Thanks for any info.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

It will work fine, but for the price of that upper you could find a great used 30-06 or .300 win mag and scope, which would be better.

I'm going to agree and disagree with Doug.................yea, the 458 will work...........but you can get a decent bolt rifle for even LESS than 800 bucks. Maybe even have enough left to get starting in reloading.
    I'm an AR addict................but can't argue the practicality of a bolt gun. I have 2 of my own!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'm an AR addict................
    Aren't we all? Ever get that LE shorty A2 mounted on anything?

I already have a reloading set up. That is why the .458 socom was so attractive to me. Lots of bullet weights to play with. I think yall are right though. I have a leupold rifleman 3x9 in a drawer right now I could put on a bolt gun. I was looking at some savage rifles. My dad has a 110 chambered in .223. If all their guns are as accurate as the one my dad has I should be able to pick up a fine rifle for well under. Saving that extra cash will help with the move too.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

If your question was, "I'm trying to decide between getting a Marlin .45-70 or a .458 socom upper for my hunting rifle", I'd say go with the socom. Both the .45-70 & the .458 socom are, in a practical sense, 0-150 yd rifles. You can do better for a hunting rifle.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

id suggest the 450 bushmaster over the 458 socom, unless you really want the choices in bullets that the 458 offers. the 450BM is a better round, IMHO, and factory ammo is made by Hornady.
    my450BM is a great shooting upper, and it was "designed" to take on all North American game... even the Browns, (not sure if i would use it for them, but they have hunted Brown Bear with it).
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I'm curious as what makes it a better round....

I agree with Doug you could get a really nice 30-06 for a good price and have some money leftover... I would start looking for a used rifle in 30-06 or 300 win mag...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    As do I, h_AK. It has been a couple years since I really looked at the two options but I do recall that last time I concluded the SOCOM was the better choice

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    As do I, h_AK. It has been a couple years since I really looked at the two options but I do recall that last time I concluded the SOCOM was the better choice

When i was looking for my big bore upper i went into it wanting the 50B, but kept an open mind about the 458 and the 450BM, i do reload when i have the time. Everything i saw led me to the 450BM. when i start to reload it i have plenty of bullets that i use in my 454 that will pull double duty for the 450BM but thats going to be awhile since i just bought 1k rnds of 450BM at $1 a rnd, and that will last me for a long time.

The 50B, while it would be nice to have a 50cal upper is just too wimpy when compared to the 450 and 458.
    The 458 ballistics that i found did not compare to the 450BM... i could not find any that came close enough to make me pick the 458, every number combination that i put into my BC (bullet flight from knights armament) the 450BM always came out on top. however there is a much larger selection in factory ammo for the 458, where the 450BM only has 2 (but only 1 real choice).

If you are going to only reload, the 458 would be a better choice as far as bullet choice, but the brass still costs a lot. You can use the "normal" mags for it so that is a plus, but mags are not a real factor in my opinion. i was able to get 9rnd mags for the 450BM at a good price, if i remember right they were 30 or 40 for stainless steel mags, not too bad since they will last longer than i will need them for. And if i really needed to i can modify my large supply of regular mags pretty easy for the 450BM.

most of the people i have talked to in person about it (mostly guys in the military as im in afghanistan), they all like the 458 "SOCOM" and the way they say that... its only because of the "socom", it sounds cooler and is cooler because the SF community help develop it. i have always thought that it was a subconcious reason for a lot of people, kinda like the subconcious desire i have for the 50B, im still drawn to the 50B just because its a 50, even though i know it's beneath my 450BM.

If i can find, or if someone provides safe loadings for the 458 that beat, or even come close to the 450BM out to 250yds, i might be interested, the closest that i have seen is a 300gn loaded at about 1800fps.

if im way off base here please let me know.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.