Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Flashers for Halibut/Kings

Default LED Flashers for Halibut/Kings

I bought these with the intent on trying them for Halibut or King Trolling. We noticed a difference Using Non Glow in the Dark 10" Grubs compared to Glow in the Dark. In deeper water the Glowing one seemed to get more hits especially when I used my Big Camera Flash on them a few times before sending them down. So I thought Id try these. They are LED and the big ones last a week or more when left on. They are rated for 2100 ft. The one that shows red color actually flashes Blue, Green, and Red. The Green and White ones are just constant on.

Anyone ever try something like this?
    The Bulb end is only thick Plastic so I dont want to rig to it. Besides it twists open and I'd be afraid to lose half the flasher. Any Ideas how I might Rig these? This is purely experimental for me at this point but It makes for something fun to try.

DSC00782.jpgDSC00781.jpg

Halibut and cod are both attracted to lights. I found them to be helpful when jigging over unfamiliar territory. I have been getting the deep lights sold by "Finestkind" that are water-activated (no batteries). We noticed that the first action was always on the jig with the light. After some experimenting I started putting a light in a line-loop above my chunks of bait when using the circle hooks - with the theory that the light can bee seen further away if elevated and draw fish in from 360 degrees that are not aware of the scent plume down-tide from the terminal tackle.

I had limited success using the little Cyalume glow-sticks in hoochies when fishing for Kings during the winter. I was using commercial gear and fishing down at 200 to 300 feet. Other gear arrangements used at the same time were much more successful so the glow-sticks were abandoned. More experimentation might have increased the level of success so I wouldn't want to discourage you from giving it a try as long as you can make the light look like something a King would want to munch on.

We also used the little glow-stiocks on our commercial electric jig machines' gear at night and the pelagic rockfish we were targeting really liked them. So lights certainly DO have their beneficial applications. Good luck.

The kids and I decided we wanted to do our halibut fishing this summer at anchor, under the cover of darkness.. just because we can. (grin) Pull anchor at first light and go slay some kings.

We were thinking of glowsticks on our rigs. Now we'll really have to give them a try.

I used the water activated lights last year (it was a gift) and didn't really seem that they caught anymore fish. Sure was fun to tell everyone on the boat thats why I was catching more though. They all wanted to try them and didn't make much difference.

I had the same results as Chuckster. I used the water activated strobe light and didn't see where it caught more than the other rods.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

One of my buddies brought a Great Lakes trick to Coffman this summer/fall by using glow in the dark spoons/J-Plugs and a purple flasher with UV and a strip of glow tape. First evening trying it after the clients ate we caught out limit of 7 kings in a little over an hour. I am a believer but it could have been a fluke ;- )
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Check these out:
    http://www.stingraytackle.com/escamu...inglights.aspx

I bought a few of their jigs and saw these, a little pricey; I would loose on first drop for sure. Check out their other stuff, free shipping to Alaska on orders over $50.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Red is the first color to disappear when going deep.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I`ve seen nothing exciting with the Halibut catch with lights but have seen a huge increase in Cod when using lights. My shrimp pot with lights does better than the one without every time...but who knows.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Red is the first color to disappear when going deep.
    I was curious about that. I would think it still emits a color though. Also a friend mentioned that red might attract shark more. Not too sure about that however it makes sense certain colors might be more effective biologically depending on species. I'm convinced that halibut don't give a hoot what color or flavor it is. Lol

We used them lead flashers last year. Big waste of money. Found that the Kodaik Jig works the best . Bit everyone has there own opinion. Cant wait till fishing season.
    If you never tried the Kodaik jig pick one 16oz up. put small piece of herring on it. It my favorite jig now..
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

3:1 INCREASE in catch margins under controlled conditions; I had this type of business years back and have since sold it; technology is improving in this area and my recommendation is to take advantage of what it brings...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I`ve seen nothing exciting with the Halibut catch with lights but have seen a huge increase in Cod when using lights. My shrimp pot with lights does better than the one without every time...but who knows.
    I tried some lights, no difference but i do think it might attract the 8 legged thieves. Guess its coke vs pepsi whatever works for ya. Now maybe some glow in the dark shrimp crack???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I tried lights for several years and it seemed like it was a day to day deal. I used red, white, green, blue, and yellow. Some day all the rods would have a different light and other days just a couple would have lights. There are so many different variables I am not sure which is the most important. I seen it where 1 color will rule the day then the next day the lone pole with just bait works the best.

I've hard the stories of 5:1 increases in catch so I tried the LED lights, and really could see no difference in the catch rate for halibut. I agree with captiandd, it seems like there are just too many variables to really be sure. I had a period last year that the port side of the boat consistently out fished the starboard side with the exact same gear on it. If I had lights on that side, I would have proven to myself that they worked.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

How many of you guys anchor up and halibut fish at night?.. gonna try it here in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    3:1 INCREASE in catch margins under controlled conditions; I had this type of business years back and have since sold it; technology is improving in this area and my recommendation is to take advantage of what it brings...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    Curious what you'd consider "controlled conditions"?

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I've hard the stories of 5:1 increases in catch so I tried the LED lights, and really could see no difference in the catch rate for halibut. I agree with captiandd, it seems like there are just too many variables to really be sure. I had a period last year that the port side of the boat consistently out fished the starboard side with the exact same gear on it. If I had lights on that side, I would have proven to myself that they worked.
    I go halibut fishing lots and there always seem to be a hot pole or two. And sometimes a couple of dead ones for some reason. I don't get it.....

Hot poles in my boat usually are the first ones the halibut comes to in the scent trail.

FYI... the chemical stick lights emit light due to a chemical reaction. Said chemical reaction works well with warmth. When you send a chemlight down into sub 40F water, the chemical reaction slows way down and you get very low light output. I can't imagine that those bitty little chemlights they sell for attaching to lures would put off nearly as much glow as a lure made of or coated with a glow-in-the-dark material when it's down in the bottom of the ocean. And in either case, the light from a glowing thing or an active LED isn't going to be visible for more than a couple feet in our murkey glacial silted waters. When the fish is close enough to see the light, they've probably already keyed in on the scent trail. Hence the reason the catch rate between lights or not is pretty much equal... at least in Alaska.

I do think that glowing stuff and LEDs have a place in fishing. Hard water would be a great example where you're looking at fish which are used to being in a lighter environ in the summer and where you have clear water with long distance visibility in a reduced background lighting. A flasher shows up for a long way off and brings trout and salmon in to check you out from quite a distance further than bait alone.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast