Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Fly-Out Salmon Day Trip

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    8

    Default Fly-Out Salmon Day Trip

    I am flying into Anchorage for 2-1/2 week self guided fly fishing trip starting June 22. Doing it on the "cheap" via the rented car, tent, a sturdy pair of hiking boots and waders. I did a similiar trip 3 years ago to Yellowstone/southwestern Montana and it still brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

    My question to the forum is if anyone has recommendations / good experiences with fly-out fishing day trips? I would really like that Alaska experience of flying out to a secluded river via a float plane and catching salmon/trout until my arms went numb. The catch is that this is a solo trip and most places that I have read about require a minimum of 2 people, which i understand with the cost of fuel, etc. Guided or unguided....or possibly even tagging along with another group...I am pretty open to any option.

    Any suggestion/ ideas would be greatly appreciated!

    Feel free to PM me.

    Thanks,

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADKflyfisher View Post
    I am flying into Anchorage for 2-1/2 week self guided fly fishing trip starting June 22. Doing it on the "cheap" via the rented car, tent, a sturdy pair of hiking boots and waders. I did a similiar trip 3 years ago to Yellowstone/southwestern Montana and it still brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

    My question to the forum is if anyone has recommendations / good experiences with fly-out fishing day trips? I would really like that Alaska experience of flying out to a secluded river via a float plane and catching salmon/trout until my arms went numb. The catch is that this is a solo trip and most places that I have read about require a minimum of 2 people, which i understand with the cost of fuel, etc. Guided or unguided....or possibly even tagging along with another group...I am pretty open to any option.

    Any suggestion/ ideas would be greatly appreciated!

    Feel free to PM me.

    Thanks,
    Your best bet would be to fly up to Yentna/ Lake Creek area. Theres a ton of Lodges up there. I recommend Lake Creek lodge- Jeff Woodward. http://www.jeffwoodwardsportfishing.com/lake.htm Kings should be good right around then. Its a float plane ride right out of Anchorage. Its close, remote(kind of), affordable.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  3. #3
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Another good option is a flyout day trip with Alaska West Air if you are going to be down on the KP.
    They have some excellent guides as well as some great trips.

    http://alaskawestair.com/

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be sure to look into both.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    For the unguided part of your trip, get a copy of "Highway Angler" Gunnar Pedersen if you haven't bought one already. It's available at a reasonable price on this sites bookstore and has a lot of information a guy with a rental car and a fishing pole might find useful.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Well apparently I bought 7 of the wrong books about fly fishing Alaska as none of them are the Highway Angler. I appreciate the suggestion...I got one on order! Also thinking a library card might have been a better investment...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    69

    Default

    ADKflyfisher,
    if you are looking for "secluded" thats a pretty difficult order to fill anywhere close to anchorage. lake creek during king season strongly resembles the combat fishing on the kenai with all the holes being shoulder to shoulder on both sides of the river. the number of lodges keeps going up and the anchorage flight services drop people off for day trips so the number of anglers is going up every year. for kings there is a limited stretch of about a mile up from the mouth where you can legally keep a fish. if you just want to fish for kings and are willing to go catch and release you can go farther up river but you would need a guide with a boat as there really isnt a trail to hike up that far. some of the lodges at the mouth i believe will take guided day anglers. you might just call some of the flight services in anchorage or kenai to see what they might recommend for you.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I realize the word "secluded" is a relative term when it comes to salmon season no matter where you go in Alaska or in my home waters of New York(Salmon River-Pulaski, NY) for that matter. As for keeping fish I really dont plan on keeping any with the exception of one or two to send back home to my grandmother(salmon for homemade cookies is a good trade in my book!). I think I recall reading about jet boat services somewhere that provide day trips up the river, which sounds like it might be a good option.

    thanks for the info, definetely appreciated!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADKflyfisher View Post
    I realize the word "secluded" is a relative term when it comes to salmon season no matter where you go in Alaska or in my home waters of New York(Salmon River-Pulaski, NY) for that matter. As for keeping fish I really dont plan on keeping any with the exception of one or two to send back home to my grandmother(salmon for homemade cookies is a good trade in my book!). I think I recall reading about jet boat services somewhere that provide day trips up the river, which sounds like it might be a good option.

    thanks for the info, definetely appreciated!
    Most likely the service you're referring to is in Talkeetna - either Mahay's or Tri-Rivers. Both provide daily runs to Clear Creek, which generally enjoys a good king run.

  10. #10

    Default

    There are some operators who take plane loads of people from anch. or soldotna/kenai area to various north cook inlet streams to fish - usually for the day; there are places to camp (rough and pay), if you want to give it a try for a few days. It is reasonable cost, I'm guessing $200-400 round trip. Check out flyalaska.net and call around.

  11. #11
    Member dmahay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    111

    Default

    The current cover of the alaska airlines propaganda magazine is lower paradise lake looking south from the USFS cabin...Excellent grayling fishing and a 15 minute flight from moose pass with Scenic Mountain Air.

    You cant go wrong, and you can spend the night in some serious alpine bush.

  12. #12
    Member dmahay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    111

    Default

    No salmon, sorry!
    Here is a pic though of what I speak.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtnreflect.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	58216

  13. #13
    Member CTobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Here and there.....
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Where in CNY are you from?

    Make sure you post some pictures of your trip

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    There are some operators who take plane loads of people from anch. or soldotna/kenai area to various north cook inlet streams to fish - usually for the day; there are places to camp (rough and pay), if you want to give it a try for a few days. It is reasonable cost, I'm guessing $200-400 round trip. Check out flyalaska.net and call around.
    Thanks for the info, that would be awesome to find a "rough & pay" type trip like that for 2 days for that price range.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmahay View Post
    The current cover of the alaska airlines propaganda magazine is lower paradise lake looking south from the USFS cabin...Excellent grayling fishing and a 15 minute flight from moose pass with Scenic Mountain Air.

    You cant go wrong, and you can spend the night in some serious alpine bush.
    Thats a nice pic...definetely looks like some serious solitude! Put me on some nice browns, 'bows or any of the other non-salmon fish i would be just as happy! Thanks!

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    Where in CNY are you from?

    Make sure you post some pictures of your trip
    From the Syracuse area.

    If i ever figure out how to upload/post pictures on this thing i will be sure to do so.

  17. #17
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADKflyfisher View Post
    If i ever figure out how to upload/post pictures on this thing i will be sure to do so.
    Here is a tutorial. I highly recommend using photobucket. It is quite painless. PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •