Thread: Two not-so-hypothetical questions

Default Two not-so-hypothetical questions

Two questions for trappers with more experience than myself:

#1 - There is a trail cutting across a mountainside that can be accessed by motorized means. From 500' below the trail down to the riverbed 1,000' down there is good hare sign and good lynx sign in years past. I haven't visited the area this year, but it holds promise. Uphill from the trail is less scouted by me, but within a few hundred feet I would be into alders and willows which should also be good hare habitat. The walking/skiing is far easier uphill than down, but again, it's less scouted. Both areas are not accessible by motorized means, so I'd be on skis or snowshoes. Which way would you go if lynx was your target - towards a riverbottom with known sign (and probably terrible walking due to this year's deep snow coupled with very steep terrain) or towards treeline with what should be good habitat (and much easier, lower angle walking)?

#2 - If you could only put lynx traps out for 12-14 days at this point in the season, would you bother? Is it worth the time and effort, or would I be better off just taking those few days that I would spend setting and checking a handful of traps and instead use them for predator calling? I could easily go either route.

Set the sign

Supporting Member

Brian,
    As TradBow said, good rule in trapping is "set on sign". In the situation you described, I would head for the thicker cover in the bottoms and make the lynx sets. If they are there, 12 - 14 days should be plenty of time to hook them up. Be sure to add some snares around your cubby sets. Inexpensive way to increase your odds of catching the lynx in the amount of time you have to trap.
    Last edited by spike9542003@yahoo.com; 02-11-2012 at 10:12. Reason: Typo

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. It is likely going to be a bear getting out of that river bottom due to the deep snow and steep hillsides, but if that's where I've got my better chance, I guess that's where I'll focus my efforts. Assuming I make it out, I'll report back at the end of the season.

check out Thewildnorth's channel on youtube. he uses "bouble snare pen" sets and is realy efective with them. its a cheaper way to set lynx rather than paying for 330's. also, in my experience (very little. i must admit) both lynx and bobcat have a large range of travle. i would coution setting a single set of sign, but if you see numbers your in the money!
    good luck,
    joe
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Thanks for the reference, Joe - I'll be sure to check it out. I've got a large supply of traps to use thanks to my brother, but adding some snares to the mix couldn't hurt. It's not an issue of expense, but when I pull my line I'll have to lug any traps back up about 2 miles and 1,000 vertical feet of some very steep, very deep terrain. Less pounds to pull would be ideal.

I would definitely put some snares out. Lightweight, easy to set, and effective. Any set that you can make with a foothold or a conibear can be made with a snare with some modification.