Thread: Just started to learn how to trap.

Default Just started to learn how to trap.

Hey all i am new to trapping but i am getting the hang of it. i have 4 foot traps out and today i caught my first critter that i could shoot. i caught a good size coon. scared the hell out of me as i thought i didnt have anything like normal and just went walking up to the 1 trap and just happen to look over and see a good size coon under the tree at the 2nd trap. told my daughter to hurry up and get to the truck and get in as i did not know if for sure he was caught in the trap and or how well it was caught in it. loaded the gun stood about 30 to 40 feet away and fired 5 shots and killed it while shaking like a scared kid. i let him flop for a bit while i got the gun unloaded and back in the truck after a good 5 mins or so i walked up to it found a big stick and poked at it the stick was almost 5 feet long i just wanted to be on the safe side even though it was all tangled in the tree, got it out of the trap and took a few pics and went on my way. went back out later to re set the traps and re bait them. i am not out for coons i am out to trap Coyotes well are winter here in MN has been really good with NO snow left and temps in 30's and 40's so there is plenty of food for the coyotes and they just dont seem to be coming in to take the bait. i only seem to be catching hawks owls crows coons and deer on the trail camera. so if you all have some good advice please send me some my way.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

OUTSTANDING shari.. First critters are the memory forever. Did you get a photo of your daughter and the coon? we like pics here... or they didnt really happen.

Welcome to AK in a sence.. theres lots of MN folks on the forum.. .i am sure many from your neck of the woods...

hope to hear more from you!!!!!!!

Vince (officail AOD PITA)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince.

Yes i did get a picture of my daughter with the coon ill try to post it in the morning.

IMO your best bet on yotes is going to be snares. I like to set them on uphill climbs or fence crossings. Don't use any lure and do your best to leave SS little scent as possible behind. With foothold sets you will have the best luck with a simple dirt hole set along the edge of a field or old logging road. Use fox or yote urine above the set to draw the animal over your trap and put a small feather or rabbit foot down in your hole for an attractor. You can also put some LDC in the hole. Don't use to much.

Good luck!

Check out Trapperman.com

thank you Teacherman for the info. will try a few snares and dig a hole to set the foot traps in. but what is LDC? i didnt find any fox or coyote pee at Cabellas when i was up there over the weekend. its a waiting game on the coyotes since we dont have snow where i live so there is plenty of food around. maybe ill head to fleet farm for some fox/coyote pee.

Supporting Member

"LDC" is Long Distance Call lure and generally has a strong skunk smell to it. Place it on something about 4 feet off the ground so the wind carries it a greater distance away from your set.

Have you cleaned and dyed your coyote traps?

Yes i cleaned my traps. i now moved my traps to another farm where the coyotes are living in the woods along with the fox. i have 2 snares out for starters and 1 foot trap out to start with till the weather is on my side to get out there longer and not tear up the field. my trap was sprung yesterday when i checked it and there was fur and part of the pad off the foot of a coyote but the little **** didnt stick its whole foot in, my snare was on the ground but somthing got in it and out of it. so its back up and the trap is re baited so fingers crossed i get something over the weekend. will be setting more snare and foot traps out now that i know the lay of the land and the other property im allowed on now. got to see all the coyote dens that are old and now being used by smaller critters like raccoons or possum. heres to hoping for a great weekend be for the snow and rain moves in and puts a damper on me getting out to them. its to long of a walk for the little one to do and no snow on the ground so i cant pull her in a sled. any more info would be great.

thanks