Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would this work for halibut leaders?

Default How would this work for halibut leaders?

I need to make some assist hooks and halibut leaders. How would this work? I plan on using circle hooks with the leaders.

Looks similar to gangion but appears to have a [possibly slippery] coating. This is a short version of a very basic leader I'm tying.
    Uni knots at both ends [tighten against themselves] and a double overhanded knot at the hook. Just watch your thread stacking ~ should be even with no overlaps.
    P2010195.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I need to make some assist hooks and halibut leaders. How would this work? I plan on using circle hooks with the leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post

Thats exactly what I sent you last year to make these:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...cs)?highlight=
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Where did you find that at ? I was all over sportsman and did not see it.By the way they have all the 3,4 & 9" Hooked-On-Tackle squid jigs buy 1 get 1 free
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Where did you find that at ? I was all over sportsman and did not see it.By the way they have all the 3,4 & 9" Hooked-On-Tackle squid jigs buy 1 get 1 free

I bought my from ebay but you can order it here as well: http://www.tackledirect.com/tuf-line...vlar-cord.html

dont know about shipping.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Thanks it is only $6 shipping
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Personally I prefer a stiff leader for halibut, either gagnon or 300-500# mono. I think you'll find that kevlar is too limp and your leader will end up wrapping around your main line and fouling it.

On the other hand it's great stuff for assist hooks on jigs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Lately I have been using tuna cord like in the pic in akluvr95's post. I have some in 200 # and 300 # I get mine at the gear shed in Homer.
    I also agree if the line is to limp you will have a lot of tangles.
    I have had too many crimps pull out in mono.
    I have never had a good gaignon knot pull out.
    That's my favorite knot the gaignon knot.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Chris,

I've been hearing a lot about the gangion knot. I guess I need to look into it. I assume it pulls against itself as the uni-knot...
    Knots are not my strong suit so I tend to stay with the basics.

I need to take the local Coast Guard's class [heard there's one scheduled here in Eagle River] on knots. It's pretty embarrassing when we pull up to the docks.

Got new shrimp pots and trying to figure out which knots to use on the bridle [for lack of a better term] lines. I sure don't want to lose any due to improper knots if/when we get hung up. I've been dissecting the ones from our old pots that came with the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Lately I have been using tuna cord like in the pic in akluvr95's post. I have some in 200 # and 300 # I get mine at the gear shed in Homer.
    I also agree if the line is to limp you will have a lot of tangles.
    I have had too many crimps pull out in mono.
    I have never had a good gaignon knot pull out.
    That's my favorite knot the gaignon knot.

When I got my pots and puller at Donallsons the guy showed me how to make dropper loops on the main line with gagnon. Then the shrimp pots are clipped onto the dropper loops with a long line clip. Since the gagnon is weeker than the main line, if one pot gets hung up, the gagnon breaks and you just loose the one pot. I forgot what he called the way the dropper loop was tied, but it works pretty slick.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Right on,
    I only run one pot per line so I'm using the clips but I don't see much on Internet for gangion knots.
    I went to several good sites but the only place I've actually found it is in the tide book.Whittier w Joe Jul 11 016.jpg
    This picture shows the pot that got hung at 360 ft with 49 spots in it last season.
    Not sure if you can see the white line attached to the pot but if you look close those are the knots I want to continue to use.
    We had to cleat the drop line and drive in several directions until the pot popped free.
    The setup worked great...I really though the pot was history.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    When I got my pots and puller at Donallsons the guy showed me how to make dropper loops on the main line with gagnon. Then the shrimp pots are clipped onto the dropper loops with a long line clip. Since the gagnon is weeker than the main line, if one pot gets hung up, the gagnon breaks and you just loose the one pot. I forgot what he called the way the dropper loop was tied, but it works pretty slick.

You might get a better idea of what I'm talking about in this video clip.

Yes the only spot I have found the Gaignon knot is in the tide book.
    It is very much like a bowline. You tie an overhand knot instead of a loop and the line goes back through the overhand knot as if you were trying to undo the overhand knot then you go around the main line and back through like you would with a bowline knot.
    I will have to find an illustration someday or take some pictures of how to tie it as people always ask me how whenever I mention it.
    It is very easy to tie once you learn how and holds great.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If you cant tie good knots then tie lots of them!

You could always use a palomar knot.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Was it this one?

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Akluvr95 if you need some help with the gaignon knot or some basic boat knots let me know i'll stop by & show ya...you'll be tieing a gaignon knot in 15 secs after a couple trys

excav8tr if you are out this way...don't make a special trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    Akluvr95 if you need some help with the gaignon knot or some basic boat knots let me know i'll stop by & show ya...you'll be tieing a gaignon knot in 15 secs after a couple trys

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Was it this one?

Nope, I'll have to take a pic of the knot. It's really more of a splice.

Here's the best website that I've found for learning to tie knots. http://www.animatedknots.com/

There are alot of knots for alot of uses, but the gaignon knot is not listed. Perhaps there is another name for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast