Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Machine

Charterboat Operator

Default Stolen Machine

Hey guys my buddy just had his sled stolen from Cow Lake. A 2012 Bearcat V1200 4 stroke, Garmin 60 gps mounted on right hand side of dash, standard black and blue colors, stock rack on the back with custom diamond plate over tunnel. The machine was taken between 3pm yesterday Feb 9, and noon today. Less than 500 miles on the sled, registration is under the seat, any info please contact Mark Lounsbary at 602-7245 or myself Greg at 632-2401. Many thanks

Pole Bender

I went to pick up my brand new 1994 Polaris Sport GT 440 armed with a pen and cashiers check. It was $4750.00, which I thought was incredibly expensive. Once I had the papers signed and sealed, the salesman told me he needed another $25 or something like that, I cannot remember the actual amount. I was surprised and asked why? "For the 10 feet of chain and padlock I put in the cargo compartment. I was offended and told him so; I had not authorized any chain and told him I wasn't going to pay for it. He just looked at me and asked, "so tell me, you have another $4700 in the bank?" I replied "no, is it is any of your business". He smiled and asked me, "so what will you do when someone steals that brand new machine?". I paid him without a word and left with my new machine and the chain and padlock.

My machine was never stolen, it was always locked up.

Sorry to hear about your bud's loss. Hopefully it will be recovered.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thieves these days come prepared and are creative. A chain and padlock will stop the unprepared thief. It won't stop the prepared one. I've seen people have the lock on their trailer cut and their entire trailer with snowmachines stolen in one fell swoop.

The bottom line is the only thing that will start to deter this thievery is consequences for the thieves. Cops need to start taking it seriously, as do judges. Penalties need to be stiff, not a slap on the wrist.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Thieves these days come prepared and are creative. A chain and padlock will stop the unprepared thief. It won't stop the prepared one. I've seen people have the lock on their trailer cut and their entire trailer with snowmachines stolen in one fell swoop.
    Absolutely true. The best you can do is slow them down. I always used a long length of half inch cable I had made up. Run it through your machines, through your trailer axle, and around a power pole, large tree, or some other immovable object; use a BIG high quality lock, and set it up so the lock is positioned in a difficult place to access. Large cable is very difficult to cut with bolt cutters; chain is pretty easy and is what the bad guys come prepared for and expecting...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree on the cable. Then the padlock becomes the issue. However, you can defend that too by welding up a box out of 1/4" steel that the loops of cable go into and you lock the padlock inside the box. You can't get into the box with the nose of a set of bolt cutters.

That padlock box is a very excellent idea. The extent of the problem here will be if it isn't locked, the thieves will always just look at my neighbors house or any down the road. I have one of the long flexible bicycle cables I use, it can squish into the cargo compartment of my Cat without too much hassle. For some reason AC never made a throttle lock like Polaris did. The Polaris throttle lock is excellent.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Just to add another to the stolen list....sometime between Wednesday and Friday evening, on Big Lake a 2006 Orange Firecat 600...also stolen was a set of Fox Floats off another machine. Guess there was only 2 of them so they could not ride both machines away. Must also have been a big guy as the owner had his gear taken and he is 6' 3" tall, helmet, and boots but they left his wife's and kids gear.

There was also other things stolen, the real weird thing is some of the items taken were not in plain view (took an effort to find them or move them) and they did not trash the house. They are working some video and pictures taken of those that were in the area of the home so maybe they can close this one out.

I'll bet a wheelchair would slow them down..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Just to add another to the stolen list....sometime between Wednesday and Friday evening, on Big Lake a 2006 Orange Firecat 600...also stolen was a set of Fox Floats off another machine. Guess there was only 2 of them so they could not ride both machines away. Must also have been a big guy as the owner had his gear taken and he is 6' 3" tall, helmet, and boots but they left his wife's and kids gear.

There was also other things stolen, the real weird thing is some of the items taken were not in plain view (took an effort to find them or move them) and they did not trash the house. They are working some video and pictures taken of those that were in the area of the home so maybe they can close this one out.
    Ok so we got the main part of the machine back....minus a bunch of parts. I brought it back to my shop to see if I can gather up enough pieces to get him back on the snow for the Irondog so we can run out with the kids next weekend. Anyone with Skis, shocks, handle bars, risers or any other odd parts for a Firecat laying around let me know. Waiting to hear a final from the insurance company on what they will cover and how much depreciation they are going are going to keep....BY the way if any one aquires a set of Fox Floats that don't seem to be working correctly those are the ones off this machine. I was suppose to pick them up this weeknd and have them rebuilt as I believe they have blown air bladders, bad seals or both.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Hey guys my buddy just had his sled stolen from Cow Lake. A 2012 Bearcat V1200 4 stroke, Garmin 60 gps mounted on right hand side of dash, standard black and blue colors, stock rack on the back with custom diamond plate over tunnel. The machine was taken between 3pm yesterday Feb 9, and noon today. Less than 500 miles on the sled, registration is under the seat, any info please contact Mark Lounsbary at 602-7245 or myself Greg at 632-2401. Many thanks

Pole Bender
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2847826530.html

I very much suspected it would have been headed in THAT direction!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

There was a cabin broken into a few miles up the Yentna from Scarry Tree. They had been there long enough to cook some food and in the process of trying to steal a six wheeler along with a sled loaded with gas jugs . They had gotten the six wheeler stuck( Now who would have thought that you would get it stuck with as much snow that is on the ground out there)it looked like they were trying to get it out when they heard the owner coming that way and they split. The troopers are working the case. Hopeful they catch the A/Hs. It is more than likley the ones that took the Bearcat and got that stuck. Every one should be watching the Yentna area for them to show up.

I hear the machine in the original post was found stuck on the Yentna.

Most snowgo thefts are crimes of opportunity. Sophisticated thieves have better things to steal than snow machines. Make it inconvenient for the thief and they'll usually move on to an easier target. In this case the theft occurred at a remote location. How does a guy get to Cow Lake so he can steal a snow machine?

Charterboat Operator

After talking to the gent on Big Lake that had his stuff stolen, am almost thinking there is 2 set of perpitrators. The Big Lake group is into parts and pieces, as well as tools, tv's, and stuff that can be hocked. The other group seems to be after bigger items that could be usefull cabin tools. one thing that is odd in both cases is that the thieves seemed to know exactly what was where and only took what they want. No tools or other goodies were bothered with. they moved a 2010 phazer out of the shop to get the bearcat, and left it there. No foot prints leading from anywhere to the cabin so must have been riding double to it, when they dumped the machine over, though they tried, they did not have enought man power to extract it from where it was laying, took 4 big guys to upright it.
    anyways, keep an eye out. and DONT leave your keys in anything
    thanks
    to all that helped.
    Last edited by POLE BENDER; 02-13-2012 at 09:15. Reason: spelling

Mark should go out and buy a Lottery ticket after getting the Bearcat back so quick and not thrashed all to hell. Some one is missing a blue jug and a helmet . They must picked that up after they took the Bearcat.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Absolutely true. The best you can do is slow them down. I always used a long length of half inch cable I had made up. Run it through your machines, through your trailer axle, and around a power pole, large tree, or some other immovable object; use a BIG high quality lock, and set it up so the lock is positioned in a difficult place to access. Large cable is very difficult to cut with bolt cutters; chain is pretty easy and is what the bad guys come prepared for and expecting...
    Armed with my easily portable cordless circular saw with an abrasive blade mounted in it, I bet I can get through that cable in a minute or two. I lock things up too, but if someone really wants, it they can get it.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Mark should go out and buy a Lottery ticket after getting the Bearcat back so quick and not thrashed all to hell. Some one is missing a blue jug and a helmet . They must picked that up after they took the Bearcat.
    KARMA baby, just KARMA, he is indeed a lucky man.

Yo!! Dupont! Did they look anything like these??

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2849752033.html

I was cruising craigslist for Fbks, Anch., and Kenai, looking for a reasonable deal on a Skandic, and I recalled reading your post/description...

These sounded familiar.

Maybe just a coincidence?... Or maybe an opportunity for some Shiria Law?

I was just about to post the same link. I hate thieves...

>>""newer set of fox float shocks bought for my rev but wont fit made for arctic cats ""<<

HUH??

Translation, "Spent my money on parts for my Ford, but they're made for a Toyota..."

Oh... OK.... For a minute I was confused there... Wait.. I still think it sounded a bit strange.. I guess I'm -still- confused... ;^>)
    -----------------
    Still waiting for that ultimate craigslist posting that reads, "Pristine 2010 SkiYamaCatIs snow-go, found in drainage ditch by my little brother's second cousin.. Some parts missing or broken. Tried hard to find the owner, but unsuccessful thus far. Needs a good home, only 'cause we care. Reasonable price..." ;^>)

Meanwhile... Doesn't ANYBODY have a decent deal on a 1998 - 2002 Skandic 440 LT, Skandic WT, or Skandic SWT, wherein the owner actually took GOOD care of their machine??!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast