Thread: Yukon River Pike

Default Yukon River Pike

My 8 Year old son and I will be on the Yukon between Eagle and Circle in July. I spent my youth chasing pike and musky all over Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ontario and have heard about the big pike in the Yukon. Does anyone have any experience or advice on fishing this part of the river or it's tributaries? I have done some internet snooping and find some info on pike fishing but it seems to focus on farther down river.

Several years ago we went on a moose hunting trip up the Porcipine river and it seemed just about every side slough/stream we were killing them. Granted this river was clear water, I am sure if you found any clear water stream running into the Yukon you will find pike. This sounds like a real fun time you have planned, it will give your son lots of memories for life.

I haven't fished that particular stretch but any slow moving slough will hold pike. Same tackle as you would use in the midwest. Topwater lures are great fun! Bring a couple huge muskie plugs such as pictured... Caught my largest pike (44")on a tributary near the Dalton highway bridge on this one.

cell phone pics 269.jpg

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I carried a take down light/medium sized spinning rod with me armed with 15lb braid and a combination of rattle-traps, spinners and spoons and hit several slow water sloughs on a moose hunt in the kandik and charlie river area a few years ago and killed them. I also caught two of the blue phase pike that I had never seen up to that point. It was alot of fun with the light rod!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I haven't fished that particular stretch but any slow moving slough will hold pike. Same tackle as you would use in the midwest. Topwater lures are great fun! Bring a couple huge muskie plugs such as pictured... Caught my largest pike (44")on a tributary near the Dalton highway bridge on this one.

cell phone pics 269.jpg

-akiceman25
    Iceman, Yah, I've still got a tackle box full of muskie lures and can't wait to get them back in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post
    Several years ago we went on a moose hunting trip up the Porcipine river and it seemed just about every side slough/stream we were killing them. Granted this river was clear water, I am sure if you found any clear water stream running into the Yukon you will find pike. This sounds like a real fun time you have planned, it will give your son lots of memories for life.

Slow, clear water sloughs is what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation. The boy has been on a lot of cool adventures in his 8 years, caribou on the Haul Rd, bear hunting, moose hunting, fishing the sound, sorta like Dad and I when I was that age, gotta pass it on.

Default Blue Phase Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I carried a take down light/medium sized spinning rod with me armed with 15lb braid and a combination of rattle-traps, spinners and spoons and hit several slow water sloughs on a moose hunt in the kandik and charlie river area a few years ago and killed them. I also caught two of the blue phase pike that I had never seen up to that point. It was alot of fun with the light rod!
    What does a blue phase pike look like?

Default Blue pike

I have seen them called blue or silver pike. They have hardly any markings and have a bluish silver cast to them instead of the green/gold colors. After I caught those two up there I looked up info on them and it said that coloration occurs occasionally throughout the pikes range, but that is the only place I have ever caught one. Here's a link to an example.

http://samcook.areavoices.com/2011/0...snowbank-lake/

i caught one last summer that was pretty much the exact opposite... almost solid black with no markings... never got the pictures from my buddy

nice look`n fish.its so pretty.summer is just around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    i caught one last summer that was pretty much the exact opposite... almost solid black with no markings... never got the pictures from my buddy
    That would be cool! I have definitely never seen one like that!

I have caught many many pike over the years but I don't think I have ever seen one of these anywhere. I have caught quite a number of blue ling cod fishing out of Valdez however. They are supposed to be rare but I have taken a number of them.

Thanks for sharing that unique picture for us to view.