Thread: Next Up: 9.3x62 Mauser recipe with a heavy dose of 300 grain Swift A-Frame

Default Next Up: 9.3x62 Mauser recipe with a heavy dose of 300 grain Swift A-Frame

I have 100 Lapua Brass, 100 300 grain A-frames, a partial can of MR-2000 and a new Lee 9.3mm Factory Crimp die. I want to see 2,400 fps(or better) from a 20 in. barrel.

Ouch on the price of these brass n bullets. I hope to recover my costs by finding a new home for all this Nosler Custom Ammo I've stock piled! I don't know why the heck I bought factory cartidges anyhow......especially when it's $80 a box

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I have 100 Lapua Brass, 100 300 grain A-frames, a partial can of MR-2000 and a new Lee 9.3mm Factory Crimp die. I want to see 2,400 fps(or better) from a 20 in. barrel.(
    Doubt you can reach 2,400 with a safe load. You might get lucky and reach 2,400 but don't expect to reload the brass more than once!

First step, loading a dummy round. With my CZ carbine, I was blessed with generous magazine clearance, and a throat that allowed the bullet to be loaded almost .25" past standard C.O.A.L. This will allow a substantial increase in powder capacity. No worries about a cannalure, the Lee Factory crimp die doesn't need one to begin with, it practically makes it's own cannalure. I won't be as conservative with load development as I was with my heavy 308 Win. load because the rifle is fairly new.

I must say, this is the first time I've worked with Lapua brass and Swift Bullets. The Lapua is dang good stuff: They all practically weigh the same, same length (no case trimming), and no burr on the inside of the flash hole. The flash hole looks like it was "machined" into the brass. Scary consistent stuff. Same with the Swift A-frames, everyone was dead on, same length, same weight. I'm normally a Speer and Nosler guy and usually prefer Winchester brass too.

I look forward to hand loading for a cartridge that is 107 yrs. old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mainer, if it can be done, 2000-MR is the ticket. Do you know the water capacity in grains of a fired case from your rifle? My Whelen AI holds just over 74 grains of water.

Just finished loading my incremental-charged rounds. I started at 53 grains and ended up going all the way to 64 grains before I couldn't hear powder when the case was shaken. I'm not a fan of compressed loads so this is as far as I will go. I'll hit the range tommorow. I doubt I'll make it all the way to 64 before I see 2,400 fps from a 20" barrel. If I do, than I'll certainly keep shooting if I don't see pressure signs.

Drow,

I measured 76 grains of water with the case filled to the top of the neck in some resized Norma brass. I'm not sure about the Lapuas though.

Mainer, your 9.3 holds about 2.5 grains more than my AI, which I load the 275 gr Hawk with 58 gr of 2000-MR to 2425 fps in a 24" barrel. I'd think your 300 gr bullet should start at about 55 grs. and work up to about 60 to be close to 2400 fps.

I tells yah what, this MR-2000 powder is versatile. I've been toying with it since last March and I'm going to stick with it. I ended up seeing 2,464 Fps. at 64 grains of powder! Keep in mind, this is from a 20" barrel. This thing is shooting like a 9.3x64 Breneke or a 375 H&H. The bolt opened like butter, and extraction was like butter with every round. The last 5 cartridges that I shot all hit the same point of impact regardless of velocity. I made it all the way to my last round without excessive pressure. No sticky bolt lift, no cratered primers and no signs of excessive pressure around the case head.

The recoil was indeed stout, but not punishing. Upon reading the Swift reloading manual, I noticed that this velocity was only about 100 fps slower than their max listed 375 H&H 300 grain loads. Their velocity testing was from a 26" barrel. Had this load been shot from a 26 in. barrel, it probably would've exceeded 375 H&H max loads.

Lotta power from a little 7 lb 6oz rifle, some 308 Carbines weigh about this much ( Howa Light Rifle). Like Yukoner Ted says "It's like a 375 H&H with 5 in the mag. If you should decide to use my recipe, I call it the 9.3xWicked Pissah!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wicked pissah

I was getting 2,960 f.p.s with my 375 today, I was shooting 300gr sierra out of it. So have no idea why the swift manual is way off. I do have a witness to the velocity as well.

375 RUM? If so, that cartridge has quite a bit more velocity than a 375 H&H. Yes Swift Reloading manual IMO didn't see much load development if yah ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    375 RUM? If so, that cartridge has quite a bit more velocity than a 375 H&H. Yes Swift Reloading manual IMO didn't see much load development if yah ask me.
    yeah just seeing if you would catch it...

Mainer, the original 375 H&H load was a 300 at 2450, which made the round famous. I think your load at 2464 has to be pretty high in pressure, and if you ever intend to hunt in warmer weather, I'd back that off a grain or two. Congrats on reaching your goal, and with fine accuracy to boot!

Drow,

There is no SAAMI specs for the 9.3x62. This load will probably never be used for anything outside of Alaska. Bear, moose, caribou, a bison or a muskox if I ever win a tag. In my experience thus far, in 30-06 or 308 sized cases, you will run out or room before you will ever see excessive pressure signs. It's a little unsettling developing a new load. I did a few things to ease the initial stress: used standard rifle primers as opposed to magnums, chose Lapua brass over Norma because its thicker. Although I don't find this expensive brass necessary, it is strong stuff. I like how they keep the case annealing to show you how far they've treated the brass, instead of polishing it off.

time to temporarily suspend the savage 99 358 win 275 grain woodleigh handload, as well as the model 94 375 win 255 grain barnes O hand load. Those cartridges did their killing for a season.

Now I will give this one a try. 25 grains more bullet weight and about 260 fps increase over my moose/bear load out of the .358 win. Wondering if there will be a noticeable difference?

Nice lookin' rig, mainer. I like the Euro stock!

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    Nice lookin' rig, mainer. I like the Euro stock!
    I like it for the figure of the turkish walnut, prettiest stock i've seen for the price, BUT....the drop isn't scope-friendly. I don't like that at all. open sights....stock fits like a broken in boxing glove. Forum member .323 put me onto some LOW quick release 30 mm mounts built right here in Alaska. You have to remove a slight bit of metal from the bolt.....sure wish I had them, instead of medium height rings. still took out a heart on a running shot, but the scope don't fit like a broken in boxing glove.

custom made low rings and modification of the bolt are a must for this bavarian style stock.