Thread: Kayaking Tutka Bay in September

Default Kayaking Tutka Bay in September

Hi, I will kayaking Tutka Bay for 6 days in September. I am thinking of renting a yurt or a cabin (if possible/available). I am coming from oversea (Swiss), so if someone of you can give me some information where to go, it would be very nice. Are there also some good camping spots there? From my view (studying the maps) Tutka is the better option than the area of Halibut Cove Lagoon. Do you agree?

Thank you!
    Hans

Decent little campground in Tutka Lagoon, hiking trails, most protected spot on the bay. DON'T KAYAK ALONE ON TUTKA BAY! Up to you, but the wind can pick up out of that mama like nobody's business (see: williwaw). Have fun and be safe!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

early september is better than later, as the weather does make a shift, generally not towards the better. there is great camping at the isthmus campground up the bay past the yurts and seastar cabin. the seastar cabin is considered to be one of the nicest cabins in the state park system. trails frm the cabin and tutka lake yurt go up to tutka falls, a nice hike, and good berries and mushrooming upi there.
    i run a water taxi providing service to the park, email me through the forum if you want more info.
    dave
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Decent little campground in Tutka Lagoon, hiking trails, most protected spot on the bay. DON'T KAYAK ALONE ON TUTKA BAY! Up to you, but the wind can pick up out of that mama like nobody's business (see: williwaw). Have fun and be safe!
    You are right, but maybe I will kayak alone there. I did about 10 Alaska trips, including paddling the Noatak in the Broosk Range with my friend and many hiking trips with my family or alone. I did a lot of kayaking in the alps. I do have the biggest respect of the sea. I only will kayak along the shore and on will stay on the safe side, having always some stuff with me, in case I have to wait for better weather, even overnight. Thank you for your posts. Hans

Hans
    Tutka bay can really blow. Since you have been on the Noatak river the water is like from the mouth of the river to Kotzebue . Not a lot of places to hide if the wind picks up. Watch your tides. You do sound experienced enough. Dress warm and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
    Hans
    Tutka bay can really blow. Since you have been on the Noatak river the water is like from the mouth of the river to Kotzebue . Not a lot of places to hide if the wind picks up. Watch your tides. You do sound experienced enough. Dress warm and enjoy.
    You say "watch the tides". So, I should be on the water during slacktide (I assume). What do you think: Is it normally 2 hours around the peak (high and low), when it's the best time to be out?

Hey, I rented a skiff (18 ft) in Petersburg for visiting different forest cabins. And we had the real high tides then! Even with a 40 HP motor, we had to be very careful entering/leavind the fjord mouths.

Hans
    I checked the tides for petersburg the tides here are a little bigger 3-4 foot more. You understand them so you will have no problem.
    I don't have anything like a Kayak but with my aluminum boat you have to be careful on going near or on shore with the tide going out so you don't get stuck high and dry.

So, you would say the best time for kayaking the bay is slacktide +/- 1 hour? Is that more or less OK so for high tide AND low tide? I know the lagoon can be pretty dry at low tide.

(In Petersburg area/ West Point "Fjord", the entrance was difficult to boat (motor), when all the water was moving in or out. What a speed and current!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans-Linus View Post
    So, you would say the best time for kayaking the bay is slacktide +/- 1 hour? Is that more or less OK so for high tide AND low tide? I know the lagoon can be pretty dry at low tide.

(In Petersburg area/ West Point "Fjord", the entrance was difficult to boat (motor), when all the water was moving in or out. What a speed and current!)
    Hans
    I am not sure where you are staying in Tutka Bay. The bay is huge. If you are staying near the mouth The Herring islands are real popular with the kayakers .What I am trying to say about the tides is this. If the tide is rising you can go to shore explore get in the real shallow bays and coves. On the outgoing tide too close to shore and you will find it. Expecially if you stop and forget how fast the water runs out.
    Inside Tutka Bay it is basicially ocean can get nasty with the tide and the wind working against you.