Thread: How bad will it be for Kodiak area Blacktails?

Default How bad will it be for Kodiak area Blacktails?

What effect is the severe winter having on the deer on Kodiak and the surrounding islands? Is it already past the point of them being able to pull through with minimal losses? What is the realistic outlook and the worst case scenario?

I know that you want to get your plans made, but WINTER ISN'T OVER YET.
    From the reports I've seen, it looks like it will be bad for the deer population.
    I'd give F&G in Kodiak a call & see what they say.

just guessing its gonna be ugly....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

This is a worse winter than '07/'08, but that winter I was advised that deer hunting was going to be horrible. It was quite the opposite for me in the fall of '08. We saw several good bucks and had a great time.

after really bad winters, we've killed our best bucks. mostly because the young ones are dead and all that you can find are good mature deer that handled the winter. lack of options...sadly enough.
    Master guide 212

With the modern trend at F&G we will probably have predator snow flake hunting from planes and snaring for those with a inside tract with F&G.On the flip side heli-skiers with protest the whole deal and it will be in the courts for years while the deer suffer
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

While it's bad right now, the real test of how bad this winter will affect deer populations will be March and April. Deer can usually get along for a while off of their fat reserves and whatever they can find on the beaches. But those late March and April snows that cover up the green up are the real killers. That's the critical time of year for deer. Afognak, Raspberry, and Shuyak deer and a few places on the north end of Kodiak will generally fare better as there is the spruce cover which will lessen the depth of snow underneath making feed more accessible and travel easier. Also the Blueberry bushes that grow under the spruce are a major winter food and so is the light green lichen/old man's beard that grows on the spruce trees.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    While it's bad right now, the real test of how bad this winter will affect deer populations will be March and April. Deer can usually get along for a while off of their fat reserves and whatever they can find on the beaches. But those late March and April snows that cover up the green up are the real killers. That's the critical time of year for deer. Afognak, Raspberry, and Shuyak deer and a few places on the north end of Kodiak will generally fare better as there is the spruce cover which will lessen the depth of snow underneath making feed more accessible and travel easier. Also the Blueberry bushes that grow under the spruce are a major winter food and so is the light green lichen/old man's beard that grows on the spruce trees.
    Well lets pray for low snow falls and quick melting in March/April. Ive been wanting to get back down there and it's been enough years since the last bad winter kill that the overall population and decent buck quantity/quality should be just about fully rebounded. A bad winter now would be a real bummer.

its not anywhere near fully rebounded in my opinion....the hunts of seeing 400 deer a week i think are over for a while...used to see over 70 deer a day, now even on a good fall its only about 30 or 40 deer a day, which don't suck i might add...
    Master guide 212