Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Homer Halibut Derby Rule Changes

  1. #1
    Member FishKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    260

    Default Homer Halibut Derby Rule Changes

    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-derby-revamps

    The officals are wanting all fish over 50 lbs released and a drawing for prizes..... That is how it was explained on KTUU news. 50 - 70 Lbs is good eating.

  2. #2
    Member redleader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Granby, Co. / Homer AK
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Thats great news to hear, thanks to the Homer chamber for taking the initiative to move away from promoting the killing of the largest halibut and to reward anglers for catch and releasing this valuable resource. The more large halibut released will relate to more and larger ones available to anglers in the future. I hope the guides will share in these positive steps toward a better quality fishery.

  3. #3
    Member FishKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Thats great news to hear, thanks to the Homer chamber for taking the initiative to move away from promoting the killing of the largest halibut and to reward anglers for catch and releasing this valuable resource. The more large halibut released will relate to more and larger ones available to anglers in the future. I hope the guides will share in these positive steps toward a better quality fishery.

    The Long Liners need to cut back as well.................

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    8 miles down kgb
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    The Long Liners need to cut back as well.................
    Ya like thats going to happen .But the Homer chambers going in the right direction

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Thats great news to hear, thanks to the Homer chamber for taking the initiative to move away from promoting the killing of the largest halibut and to reward anglers for catch and releasing this valuable resource. The more large halibut released will relate to more and larger ones available to anglers in the future. I hope the guides will share in these positive steps toward a better quality fishery.
    Who cares that you are not a Halibut biologist or that you don't even mention commercial fishing in the equation. I guess we should stop shooting all the trophy quality mammals and just take pictures of them too. After all, they are a "valuable resource" and hopefully the "guides will join in and share in this positive step toward a better quality hunt."

    If you have an opinion on halibut, fine, but don't qualify your opinion with nonsense and then try to encourage other people to follow it. Just state your opinion, because opinions are never wrong. And when all the commercial halibut fisherman start catching higher grade halibut in two years, and clean up the big ones that the sporties are leaving behind, maybe you can go to the fish plant and take pictures of big halibut since none of us will be catching them thanks to do-gooders like you. BTW, I commercial fished for 11 years from Alaska to the South Pacific.
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-12-2012 at 17:10. Reason: negative personal comments

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default

    I guess it must be catching on I hear Whittier is going to do the same thing. Finally someone is starting to figure it out and how we are depleting our fisheries by taking the larger breeder. Yes I do also agree that the same standards should apply to the commercial guys as well.

    Itís not just the commercial guys on our side that is some of the problem they are somewhat regulated, itís all the other non American commercial outfits that are not regulated that is hurting the fisheries. US fishermen have made great strides to slow the by-catch problem down but the harvest numbers are slowly dropping and we are just NOT giving back for the future of our fisheries. As for myself or my family we do not go after the fishing contest NON am I a supporter of harvesting large halibut for the sport of the contest. My family and friend that come out on our boat do not harvest fish bigger than 100lbs for several reasons. Mainly because they are the breeders, secondly they are just not as good to eat or prepare.

    So I like the idea of the change; but, we will never see an improvement overall unless there are rules across the board for the harvesting of larger halibut for both commercial and non- commercial fishermen.


    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  7. #7

    Default

    Guess the question I'd have is will anglers who are fishing the derby and who catch a big halibut (over 50 lbs in this instance) still be keeping that big halibut anyway? You could still catch and keep that big one and also keep the one under 50 lbs that would get you into the drawing. In other words, will any fewer big halibut be kept just because the derby is no longer looking for big halibut? But if the intent is to bring attention to maintaining the fishery (regardless of whether or not the derby changes will make a difference), then I guess it does just that.

    Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-derby-revamps

    The officals are wanting all fish over 50 lbs released and a drawing for prizes..... That is how it was explained on KTUU news. 50 - 70 Lbs is good eating.

  8. #8
    Member redleader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Granby, Co. / Homer AK
    Posts
    555

    Default

    So Pacwest, what's your opinion since you don't like mine, I would like to see more large halibut available for anglers like we had 20 years ago before the charters fished them out. I don't have a clue what can be done on the commercial side but I would agree they need to also be limited, I'm not a liberal just an angler that likes catching big fish, simple enough? looks like the derby leaders are on the same mindset with the changes and the halibut commission drastically reducing charter permits and proposing to cut the limit in half seems to be the direction things are going, what's your ideas as the average size sport caught halibut keeps going down every year and is now under 15lbs?

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    For what it's worth, it is not a reality that most longliners routinely engage in high grading. While true that they get paid more per pound for heavier fish, it is still not cost-effective to target larger halibut. On the boat I fish on our average size is always between 22-25 pounds and we almost never have more than one or two fish in a trip that is over 100 pounds. There are areas we could target that hold larger fish, but the total time/effort necessary to fill the quota would be much greater due to catching less fish per set. The commercial size average is significantly smaller than what I see displayed along the charter hanging hooks on the Spit.

    With regards to the notion that the commercial sector should be cut back, I'd agree - and that has happened again and again in recent years. The 3A catch is down by over 50% and the 2C catch is down by 90%.

  10. #10
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Reading through the story linked in the below thread yesterday, it says they still have a $10K bounty on the largest fish overall, so I'm not sure how much it will change anything. It's enough to still keep me from playing. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Rules-Revealed
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  11. #11
    Member redleader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Granby, Co. / Homer AK
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Reading through the story linked in the below thread yesterday, it says they still have a $10K bounty on the largest fish overall, so I'm not sure how much it will change anything. It's enough to still keep me from playing. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Rules-Revealed
    They also got rid of the monthly big fish prizes which lots of big halibut were killed for and put incentives in for catch and release on the larger halibut, I'll buy tickets to help support the new changes.

  12. #12
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    A different kind of Catch-release vs. keep, vs. commercial fisherman thread... hmm interesting to read.. who's gonna take their ball and go home?

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  13. #13
    Member bkbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    773

    Default

    I think it is very simple. Do not allow retention of halibut under breeding size by any commercial operation. Commercial or charter. I know the trolls will come out but to me keeping a fish that never got to spawn is worse than keeping a fish that got to spawn once, twice, ten times. I've always thought that sport regs should not involve size just number. But maybe the private sportfishing pressure is enough to warrant the the same size requirements. Flame away.

  14. #14
    Member AKCAPT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    They already do not all retention of halibut that are too small to breed in the commercial fishery. It is the sport fishery that can kill any size halibut they want.
    The facts are that very large halibut have already contributed their genetically superior eggs for 35 to 40 years and by the time a 300 pound fish gets caught, it is near the end of its life. Of the ten or so 300 pounders that get caught every year during tournament fishing in South Central Alaska do not amount to any measureable value to the overall health of the halibut stocks. So elminating them from tournament fishing really doesn't do anything. Fact is that 99% of the fishermen on a charter are going to kill the fish anyway..More importantly is the release mortality when 12 big boats anchor on the chicken patch and each release 150 tiny halibut that have been pierced thourgh the eyes with a 16/0 circle hooks so that each fisherman can bring back 11 pound halibut instead of the 20 or so 8 pounders they each reeled up, grabbed by the tail and flug back in the water.
    Talk to the biologists and see what they say....now if all sectors released any fish over 100 pounds.....you would some incredible year classes swiming in the ocean but not killing a few big halibut is not going to have any effect on the fishery.

    Sorry I know this is an unpopular posiition but I believe it to be fact.

  15. #15
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    What AKCAPT says makes a lot of practical sense both about the big fish release and the catch and release with a high kill rate that goes on.

    This thread repeats one with all the same things said not that many weeks ago. There is a lot more politics and emotion behind the Homer Derby decision than biology. I don't think it will last, and as I said a few weeks ago in the earlier thread on this, VALDEZ ALREADY TRIED THIS 6-8 YEARS AGO AND IT FAILED TO MAINTAIN THE DERBY....so they went back to the old format of biggest weekly and overall fish. They tried the new format for all the same reasons stated for Homer, but it was a dismal failure for lots of reasons, people in Homer should have checked into this Valdez experience before they made the change.

  16. #16
    Member redleader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Granby, Co. / Homer AK
    Posts
    555

    Default

    I also agree with AK capt. Although one of the main reasons for the changes is due to the large number of 75-150lb halibut being killed each month from anglers trying to win the monthly prizes with no chance at the jackpot, so do you not agree that when that incentive to kill those fish Which are prime breeders is gone along with more incentive to release fish over 50lbs (also prime breeders) there may be more 200-300lbers available in the future along with more genetically superior breeding stock.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Let's just put this out for the whole world to see! First the ones that pushed the hardest for this change are the charters that don't catch big fish and commercial fishermen in the chamber. Second any angler that wants to keep the fish they bring up can no matter what size it is. For ten grand I would kill alot more than a big fish, and I won't let a 50 plus pounder go for it to die on a longline hook. It's to bad when the chamber caved in to politics to try to look good. This will not save any fish that would have been killed in fact it might cause a larger toll. When no fish can be taken by any group that are over 72" than we might see a change till then the derby change won't save much.

  18. #18
    Member redleader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Granby, Co. / Homer AK
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Let's just put this out for the whole world to see! First the ones that pushed the hardest for this change are the charters that don't catch big fish and commercial fishermen in the chamber. Second any angler that wants to keep the fish they bring up can no matter what size it is. For ten grand I would kill alot more than a big fish, and I won't let a 50 plus pounder go for it to die on a longline hook. It's to bad when the chamber caved in to politics to try to look good. This will not save any fish that would have been killed in fact it might cause a larger toll. When no fish can be taken by any group that are over 72" than we might see a change till then the derby change won't save much.
    So now that there will be no prize for a 50lb-250lb+ halibut depending what the jackpot leader is unless it is released the mentality is to kill them anyway because otherwise they may be caught by the commercial guys even though most don't target the same areas?

  19. #19
    Member redleader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Granby, Co. / Homer AK
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    They already do not all retention of halibut that are too small to breed in the commercial fishery. It is the sport fishery that can kill any size halibut they want.
    The facts are that very large halibut have already contributed their genetically superior eggs for 35 to 40 years and by the time a 300 pound fish gets caught, it is near the end of its life. Of the ten or so 300 pounders that get caught every year during tournament fishing in South Central Alaska do not amount to any measureable value to the overall health of the halibut stocks. So elminating them from tournament fishing really doesn't do anything. Fact is that 99% of the fishermen on a charter are going to kill the fish anyway..More importantly is the release mortality when 12 big boats anchor on the chicken patch and each release 150 tiny halibut that have been pierced thourgh the eyes with a 16/0 circle hooks so that each fisherman can bring back 11 pound halibut instead of the 20 or so 8 pounders they each reeled up, grabbed by the tail and flug back in the water.
    Talk to the biologists and see what they say....now if all sectors released any fish over 100 pounds.....you would some incredible year classes swiming in the ocean but not killing a few big halibut is not going to have any effect on the fishery.

    Sorry I know this is an unpopular posiition but I believe it to be fact.
    Capt. What about the large number of 75lb to 150lb halibut that have been killed monthly by anglers trying to win the monthly prizes, would those make a difference?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    I don't target the same areas as most charters thats why my average halibut was over 40lbs, and I had longliners set gear over my anchor line. They get very mad when you cut the ground line too but the next time you are anchored they did give you alot more room. No the mentality will be that a 50lb to 100lb fish will put a lot of food in the freezer and at $20 a pound 80lbs of fillets $1600 is a very good prize don't you think!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •