Thread: Flying from Fairbanks to Walker Lake

Default Flying from Fairbanks to Walker Lake

Hello,

I am currently planning another trip to Alaska this summer, but have not decided yet on where to go.

Anyhow, before I came to Alaska from Germany last summer, I was trying to get a quote for a flight from Fairbanks up to the Alatna River; unfortunately, they (Warbelow's; Era; Larry's Flying) never wrote back to me, so I figured that since there are a lot of pilots reading and writing in this forum, somebody may help me out this time by telling me the best route to take from Fairbanks up to Walker Lake and how much it would probably cost me.

I would really appreciate any kind of information and help! You can also send me an email to: schild.23(at)gmx.de

Thanx a lot

Hello again,

I just recognized that I made a mistake due to transposed numbers concerning my email-address:

My email is: schild.32(at)gmx.de

Sorry about that!

You might consider Fairbanks to Bettles and then Bettles to Walker Lake with Brooks Range Aviation. There may be some commercial flights to Bettles from Fairbanks (seat fair rather than charter). Brooks Range Aviation is based in Bettles. http://www.brooksrange.com/

Hello,

thanx for the reply.

Do you know how much this will approximately cost for one person and camping/ canoe equipmnet?

Is there a possibility of taking the Dalton-Highway-Express up to Coldfoot and then take the plane from Coldfoot to Walker Lake?

Thanx a lot!

I believe Brooks Range Aviation sometimes picks people up from Grayling Lake, which is on the highway near Prospect Creek. Your best bet for information would be to call or write them for information.....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quite a boulder patch leaving the outlet of Walker Lake to the Kobuk...where are you heading on this trip? Ambler Air would haul you back to Fairbanks. Walker to Ambler would be a nice paddle...

Hello,

thanx for the information!

I am just trying to sort out, what trips I could possibly do this summer; one option that I am considering at the moment is floating down the Kobuk River all the way to either Kiana or, if I can make it through the sound with my canoe, to Kotzebue.

I have read about the problems getting out of Waker Lake and into the River with your canoe, but I think it should not be a problem for me.

How much will the trip approximately cost me as far as airfares are concerned?

Thanx

Call or email the possible choices (air taxi companies and scheduled air service companies) for the cost of your trip.

What kind of canoe? If you said, I missed it... I would spend a few days on walker lake, paddle around the shore, enjoy the fishing and beautiful country. Portage the outlet... The kobuk can be very windy. Lee's SeaAir in Kiana can fly you to Kotzebue. Don't try Kobuk lake in a canoe...bad idea....big waves/very cold water...

Hello,

thanx for all the information; I will send an email to various airlines regarding the possible flying costs of my trip and hope that they will write back to be,- like I said, last year they never answered my emails...!

I will take my ally folding canoe on this trip.

Greetings from Germany!

CID, take a scheduled flight to Bettles (out of Fairbanks) Wrights Air or Warbelow Air. Catch a float plane to Walker. You can catch a scheduled flight in any of the Kobuk River villages, back to Kotzebue. Bering Air, Hageland Air.... Dave Rue/Ambler Air flys to Fairbanks a couple times a week. Have fun....Another option, float or wheel plane to headwaters of the Noatak River. Better wilderness experiance than the Kobuk. I did that trip 12yrs ago in a 16.5 ally...fantastic trip....

Dear Pipercub,

thanx for your reply.

I have already looked at the Noatak, but as far as I am concerned I prefer a landscape that has some trees and the Noatak, at least in the upper region, is primarily arctic tundra that has no trees at all; so I will rather go with the Kobuk River for now.

Thanx

If you're looking for safe reliable service to Walker Lake try Bettles Air Service (tyler@bettlesair.com) we are in and out of there all season. bryan@bettleslodge.com

Dear Bryan,

thanx for the information; I will probably send you an email in a couple of days!

Greetings from Germany!

Hi

I canoed the Noatak and can give you some information. Some friends will visit the area this year.

Visit my HP if you like (I am Swiss).
    http://hansmetzler.me/

There is a post and 2 movies (trailer) of our trip.
    Hans