Thread: MSR Dragonfly pump with whisperlite stove

Default MSR Dragonfly pump with whisperlite stove

Does anyone have exerience with this setup? I have an early 90's whisperlite and heard that the pump improves flame control for simmering. Online stores have disclaimers that they aren't compatable but could be playing it safe for liability purposes. Searched this forum, apoligize if this has been discussed and I missed it.

Interesting. I was of the impression that the improved flame control on the Dragonfly was due the the extra valve near the burner. But then I have never figured out why its pump is different than the Whisperlite. I have owned both, but not at the same time, so I never got to compare them up close. I much prefer the Dragonfly for cooking though.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkranch View Post
    Does anyone have exerience with this setup? I have an early 90's whisperlite and heard that the pump improves flame control for simmering. Online stores have disclaimers that they aren't compatable but could be playing it safe for liability purposes. Searched this forum, apoligize if this has been discussed and I missed it.
    A Dragonfly pump cannot be used with a Whisperlite. The diameter of the fuel port is different, and it won't seal properly.

Kinda dumb on MSR's part in my opinion, but all of their liquid fueled stoves except the Dragonfly all use the same pump. The Dragonfly pump is unique to the Dragonfly.

The Whisperlites (all three modern types), the Firefly (long discontinued), the Simmerlite, and the XGK all use the "standard" pump.

HJ