Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Various 22 magnum Pistol/rifle chronograph results:

Default Various 22 magnum Pistol/rifle chronograph results:

I finally tested my favorite 22 magnum loads over the chronograph today, here's a list of the results:

The new 40 grain Speer Gold Dot:

This ammo was supposed to give good velocity from short barrels. Well....I can say it did as advertised. It placed the highest velocity out of a 4" barreled Taurus Model 941 Revolver.
    Average Velocity: 1387 FPS, Deviation of 22 FPS.
    Out of an 18.5" barreled Henry Lever: Average velocity of 1952 FPS, Deviation of 43 FPS (8 shot string)

The Federal 50 Game Shock which is a controlled expansion hollow point, and the biggest bullet made for the 22 mag:

(4" barrel) Average Velocity: 1120 FPS, Deviation of 18 FPS (8 shot string)
    (18.5" barrel) Average Velocity: 1633 FPS, Deviation of 22 FPS (8 shot string)

CCI 40 Grain Total Metal Jacket:

(4" barrel) Average Velocity: 1202 Deviation: 82 FPS
    (18.5" barrel) Average Velocity: 1871 Deviation: 77 FPS.

This ammo had flyers with the major changes in velocity and an occasional misfire. I love the CCI TMJ's for hunting, but I'm going to a different load. I shot them all as target ammo and bought a bunch of Federal Target Champion 40 grain FMJ.

This Federal ammo appears to use a Total Metal Jacket style bullet too (I took one apart). The Federals don't misfire, and have about 130 FPS more in the pistol, and about 100 FPS more in the rifle. The also had the best consistency with very little deviation. The Federal is the better hunting ammo.

As far as a home defense round, the new Speer Gold Dot gives excellent velocity out of a pistol, and so does the 50 grain Game Shock for such a big bullet. Take your pick.

Thanks for the test. I've got one of those 941's always wondered how fast they shot. I think I'll try out those Speer gold dots.
    Does Federal make the 50gr without the hollow point?
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Nice work Mainer!! Have you tried the Gold Dot on critters yet?

Travelers,

I'm in Samuals 15-23 Feb if you want to hit the Blue Heron for breakfast. I'll PM you my cell number if you want to get together.

Joe
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Hey lowrider,

I probably won't use the goldot on critters because bullet expansion for small game and predators aren't what I'm looking for in a dedicated 22 mag. hunting round. Up close, the expanding hollowpoints have damaged small game, and they limit penetration on larger animals like the predators. I've shot Whitetail deer with the 22 mag and the FMJ's almost always exited, but never the hollowpoints. I really go for the FMJ's because of the excellent penetration I've witnessed. I do however, keep the 22 mags loaded with hollowpoints for home defense.

It was interesting to see a difference in velocity loss going from rifle to pistol with the 50 grainers. They shoot slower in the rifle, but lose very little in the pistol? I thought that maybe being a longer bullet, allowed the bullet to seal in between the cone and the chamber of the cylinder, effectively spiking pressures to allow better velocity. I'm torn in between the two hollow points. Both are controlled expansion hollowpoints. The Gold Dot is a bonded core/jacket so maybe a penetration test will figure out the rest. Almost seeing 1,400 fps from the 40 grain Gold Dot, that is some serious velocity from a 4" barrel.

As far as hunting rounds are concerned, the Federal Champion FMJ is the better hunting round as opposed to the CCI FMJ because of more consistent velocity, higher velocity, and no misfires. It's supposed to be a premium target round, so that is probably why it's more consistent than the CCI FMJ's.

Thanks for posting this, Mariner!

Mainer,

Good deal!!

I've used a variety of HP's for head shots on small game with great results. I shot a fox a couple weeks back in the head with a PMC 40 gr HP with my CZ and it took out the whole back side of the head which was fine for me since it had mange and I just buryed it anyway. For a hide gun, the FMJ's are fine for the small stuff but for coyotes or woofs I think a thru the ribs lung/heart shot with a Gold Dot would be the answer for me. I have a 22 mag/20 ga model 24 Savage that seems to be my perfect 4 wheeler gun for hunting and I would use HP's for sure so I was interested in how the Gold Dots acted on animals.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Great report. I've been intending to try those Federal 50's, but just never got around to it. I'm sitting and staring at my last hoarded box of 22 WRF, and need to go to something else for small game. Unlike most I'm looking for the slowest possible velocities from a rifle for small game rather than long range trajectory. I know, there's 22 LR, but I sure like the heavier bullets in 22 WRM. If that Federal 50 was down around 1300 I'd be in hog heaven.

Forum member Trapperbob shot two foxes with the 50 grain federal. He said both bullets exited and that one was a real big crossfox. He said that neither foxes went anywhere. I'd imagine they were both one shot kills.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=22+magnum

That is probably the biggest fox I've ever seen:

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks for posting that, Mainer:

There seems to be a few hundred fps difference in the 4" barrel, versus Rifle ballistics.

I wonder how much better a 6.5 inch barrel would do.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Not sure Smitty.

I do know that in my pistol, gold dots are as fast out of my pistol, as the fastest 22 LR out of a rifle. The 50 grain gameshocks are as fast (out of the pistol) as most other 22 lr 40 grain ammo is out of a rifle. Their is a common misconception that 22 magnum ammo is no different than a 22 LR out of a pistol.......not the case in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Their is a common misconception that 22 magnum ammo is no different than a 22 LR out of a pistol.......not the case in my experience.
    Nor in mine but I donít bother with 22mag in the handguns because there isnít enough more there to make it worth the high price of 22mag ammo. In a rifle 22mag is much more powerful than 22lr and worth the expense but at handgun ranges the 2-300fps or so isnít worth the price. Just a value for the buck thing to me.

Now if my rifle was 22mag and my companion handgun for it didnít already have a 22lr cylinder with it Iíd be shooting the mags with a smile.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I must just be cheap. I have a 22mag pistol and rifle but don't shoot either because of ammo cost. With the pistol the 22LR is close enough to not matter. In the rifle, cast bullets in the 22H or 25/20 hit harder and cost me about 1/5th the price. The cast bullets kill very well without tearing stuff up. I have shot fox and artic hare with a rifle in 22mag and although it works well enough, the price of ammo is too high for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I must just be cheap. I have a 22mag pistol and rifle but don't shoot either because of ammo cost. With the pistol the 22LR is close enough to not matter. In the rifle, cast bullets in the 22H or 25/20 hit harder and cost me about 1/5th the price. The cast bullets kill very well without tearing stuff up. I have shot fox and artic hare with a rifle in 22mag and although it works well enough, the price of ammo is too high for me.
    If I want more than a 22lr I go with 30 carbine, 223, or 38/357 depending on the job. I suppose Iím cheap too but if you don't reload 22mag will do the job and the price is not as off putting.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't see how people can afford to shoot much without reloading and for that matter casting. Using cast bullets, the 25/20, 30Car, 223,38/357,or 22H are all very effective and can be loaded for about .06 per round. I guess if I only shot for hunting, I could afford to shoot most of my guns. The 416Rem at $9 a pop would get grounded.
    I have heard that the 22mag was no faster in a short barrel than a 22LR but I have always considered that to be not true. It's good to see someone actually put it to the test.

M I A, Ten thousand thank Yous. Wonderful post.

No problem AGL.

One other fella who I've noticed always had fair and honest chronograph results was Jeff Quin. His tests compared with mine, confirm that the 22 mag 50 grain game shock looses less velocity in both single six and taurus revolvers. It's a longer bullet, so you'll loose less velocity. My theory is that the longer bullet seals in between the cone and the chambers of the cylinder better than any other bullet. So although the heavy hitter shoot slower in the rifles, it's not apparent in the pistol. It may be one of the best home defense cartridges for a 22 magnum pistol.

Most 22 long rifle pistols and revolvers will rarely see anything more than 800-900 fps with the various 40 grain bullets, and none of the 22 lr's have a true copper jacket with a lead core. So from a home defense perspective, a bullet like the bonded copper jacket/lead core 40 grain speer gold dot in conjuction with about 1,400 fps will be an excellent home defense round.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Not sure Smitty.

I do know that in my pistol, gold dots are as fast out of my pistol, as the fastest 22 LR out of a rifle. The 50 grain gameshocks are as fast (out of the pistol) as most other 22 lr 40 grain ammo is out of a rifle. Their is a common misconception that 22 magnum ammo is no different than a 22 LR out of a pistol.......not the case in my experience.
    The question, to my mind, is it enough?

Which is why I appreciate your information.

I was thinking in terms of, a Longer Barrreled handgun for survival purposes, that would be plenty gun for small game, and also, do larger game in a pinch.

(The appeal is, you could easily pack a lotta ammo for either 22 LR or 22 Mag.)

I use the Federal 50 grain 22 Mag. loads in my rifle. They are either HP or Solids. Any 22 mags. are spendy, but for such a purpose, I can justify 22 Mag., but not for just plinking.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

For what it's worth smitty,

400 rds of 22 mag weighs about 2.5 lbs. That's about how much I take with me on my Yukon River trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The question, to my mind, is it enough?

Which is why I appreciate your information.

I was thinking in terms of, a Longer Barrreled handgun for survival purposes, that would be plenty gun for small game, and also, do larger game in a pinch.

(The appeal is, you could easily pack a lotta ammo for either 22 LR or 22 Mag.)

I use the Federal 50 grain 22 Mag. loads in my rifle. They are either HP or Solids. Any 22 mags. are spendy, but for such a purpose, I can justify 22 Mag., but not for just plinking.

Smitty of the North
    That is exactly my application for .22 Mag. I have two S&W model 17's with 8 3/8 inch barrels. I reamed one out to Magnum. The one that is still Long Rifle is at Wild West Guns for sale.

For survival purposes the 22mag should be plenty. The 22LR is probably enough but the mag definately adds enough range and killing power from a rifle to be worth while. With a pistol, the range limit is going to be more the shooter than the cartridge with 50 yds being about the upper limit for most of us. In a survival situation small game can be taken easily with a 22LR with something like a moose it's going to be a behind the ear kind of shot and either would work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast