Thread: .475 linebaugh questions

Default .475 linebaugh questions

How many of you that shoot a freedom arms .475 without muzzle porting.what is your opinion on muzzle port either way.If you are for porting who do you reccomend to do the work.I have a freedom arms 475 for my backup but it does not have porting and its a bear to shoot (no pun intended) I have used it once in a back up situation and never felt the recoil but was considering having it done to tame the beast so to speak...
    thanks Dave

I don't have a 475 but I had my 4" 454 Redhawk magnaported. It help tame muzzle flip but does'nt do much for felt recoil. But, taming the muzzle flip and torque of the gun is what I was after. Make it a little easier to hang on too.

Have you been over to http://singleactions.proboards.com/ Lots of SA bigbore shooters over there.

How long is the barrel on your FA? I think I'd call FA and get their opinion being as you can buy one from them Magnaported.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd thanks for the link Ill check it out.I just measured and its a 5 and 1/2" barrel. I have never been much of a hand gun guy,but several years ago I picked this gun up dirt cheap at a gun show in the states from someone that bought it and couldnt shoot it.I love it as it has become the dont leave home without it sort when I go hunting as it is nice and light as well as packs a punch.I will check with FA also good point on that.I was just not sure if there was any down sides to porting,like there is with a rifle.
    ty
    Dave

The bad thing is you need exceptional ear protection even when hunting.
    How much it will reduce recoil?? Good question. Will it be enough? The gun IS light and a bear to shoot.

Sorry, but the FA is only 3-oz lighter than the BFR, and I have found that for me at least, neither is all that unpleasant to shoot. I shot an FA 83 in .500 JRH and that kicked a bit, but the grip frame is great on the FA. bfrshooter is right about the noise, I don't care for it.

Have any of you guys been able to shoot a magnaported and non-magnaported gun side by side? I've had a rifle and a 4" revolver magnaported and can't say that I notice any difference in sound. I know that traditional muzzle brakes with lots of holes are a different story. I did come across a side by side test on two rifles and with a decibal meter. I think they were 35 whelens and there was not enough difference to make a difference. Maybe I'll see if I can find it again. Again, I'm talking magnaport.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Have any of you guys been able to shoot a magnaported and non-magnaported gun side by side? I've had a rifle and a 4" revolver magnaported and can't say that I notice any difference in sound. I know that traditional muzzle brakes with lots of holes are a different story. I did come across a side by side test on two rifles and with a decibal meter. I think they were 35 whelens and there was not enough difference to make a difference. Maybe I'll see if I can find it again. Again, I'm talking magnaport.

I have shot a Magna Ported 4 3/4" 454 side by side with a non ported 4 3/4" 454 both FA 83's. I could not feel any real difference in sound or recoil. Bear in mind that I have been accused of being recoil intolerant. The barrel cylinder gap is closer to ones ears than the brake anyway.

thanks for the info everyone,sounds like it wont make too big of a difference.The recoil is managable so I think I will leave well enough alone at least for now.Snyd thanks for the link pretty cool sight lots of intersting info
    Dave

Just shoot 480 loads, 400 gr @ 1100-1200 fps has to me 1/2 the fealt recoil of full patch 475 loads. Save the porting money and put it into ammo.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I have shot them (Magna-port vs no porting) side by side also and agree with JWP500. I cannot tell any difference in noise but I have been accused of not hearing a Claymore. I think it helps to reduce muzzle flip but recoil in the hand, no difference. It is just another cylinder gap up front. It is more effective with the higher pressure loads of the 454 and 475.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?