Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 200 grain Nosler Partition 308 Winchester Load Results

Default 200 grain Nosler Partition 308 Winchester Load Results

Finally put my heavy 308 load over the chronograph.

My average velocity out of a 20 in. barrel was 2,464 FPS and a deviation of only 22 fps. I have no doubt this load will give 2,500 fps or more from a 22 in. barrel.

The load consists of Winchester Brass, 47 grains of Alliant MR-2000 powder, CCI standard rifle primers, and the Nosler 200 grain partition. The bullet was seated to standard cartridge overall length specs for the 308 winchester. The brass showed no signs of excessive pressure, and no extraction issues.

There was still a touch of space left in the case for more powder. The MR-2000 is very dense and gives great results. You could probably fit another grain or two of powder in the case, but not necessary with this kind of performance. The 1:12" twist of my Savage Model 99 stabilized the bullet. Dang good velocity from a short barrel, and I highly recommend this recipe to other 308 Win. to other shooters.

Great report Mainer on a fine bullet. Long ago I was loading it with 748 in the 308 and 4064 as I recall in the 06. No chrono in those days, but I'm sure I didn't get your vel in the 308 and probably didn't exceed it by much if at all in the 06.

I only shot a few head with it, all deer. Couldn't find any complaints, and of course I never recovered a bullet. Longest shot was at about 175 yards with the 308, and it showed a pretty small exit hole for my tastes. So I think you'll find the extra velocity welcome.

What type of groups did you obtain?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Excellent Report!!!

I have the even shorter 200 grain woodleighs loaded up with 44-47 grains of MR-2000 with 4 rounds apiece .5 grain increments. Also have the same bullets loaded up under some RL-17. Be interesting to see which powder gives better velocity and accuracy with these loads.

With 47 grains of MR-2000 under the 200 gr woodleighs you can still hear the powder very easily when the round is shaken so there is room for more if I don't get any pressure indications, but figure I'll just walk up slow and see what happens at 47 take a step back look it over before loading up more.

Thanks for the report Mainer... I love the .308 and a fistfull of these for the pack out might be what the doctor ordered. Or heck, just hunt with them if the range is close.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I was shooting a Savage 99 with receiver sights and getting 1.5-2" at 100 yards. Call it young eyes, but that was a particularly accurate rifle in spite of being an F. I've always wondered what it would have done with a scope. You sure knew when you lit off one of those 200's in such a light rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Excellent Report!!!

I have the even shorter 200 grain woodleighs loaded up with 44-47 grains of MR-2000 with 4 rounds apiece .5 grain increments. Also have the same bullets loaded up under some RL-17. Be interesting to see which powder gives better velocity and accuracy with these loads.

With 47 grains of MR-2000 under the 200 gr woodleighs you can still hear the powder very easily when the round is shaken so there is room for more if I don't get any pressure indications, but figure I'll just walk up slow and see what happens at 47 take a step back look it over before loading up more.
    I'm still game for some more 308 development. I have quite a few loaded rounds left if you'd like to try them in your rifle. If I recall correctly, you had about 80 fps more from your Kimber as opposed to my rifle during the last range session, so it's safe to assume that this heavier partition load will give you between 2,550-2,600 fps in your Kimber. This was the goal, and I think I achieved that.

I'm not too sure if I want to go beyond 47 grains in my old rifle, but still not seeing signs of pressure.......maybe further development beyond 47 grains might be OK. You'd be hard to find a factory 308/180 grain load that gives this type of velocity from a short barrel. I have no doubt that the MR-2000 will push those woodleighs beyond 2,500 fps in your rifle. You should load a few more beyond 47 until you run out of room. Let me know when you want to hit the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    half hole groups at 2000 yds.

one hole groups at a mile.

1/4" groups at two miles with a wilson combat ghost ring rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    half hole groups at 2000 yds.

one hole groups at a mile.

1/4" groups at two miles with a wilson combat ghost ring rear sight.
    Hmmm, musta been a bit "windy" that day Mainer?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Good to hear your results Mainer! Sounds like you have found a good load for both hunting and bear protection. Good to see that your 1/12 in twist stabilized the bullet OK. It even meets the requirement for Bison hunting (200 gr bullet, 2000 ft/lbs energy at 100 yds.)! According to the ballistics calculator here (http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx), the load has a maximum point blank range of 247 yds when zeroed at 209 yds., and only drops 5.4 inches at 300 yds. Since you said you saw no pressure signs, I wonder what a true max load would be. I'm sure that the MR-2000 will beat the best results I know of so far (BL-C2 gets 2517 fps for a 200 grain jacketed bullet from a 24 in tube). I wonder what it would do from a 24 in tube. Anyway, if you are looking at Bears in particular, the 220 grain Partitions are only .02 in longer than the 200 grainers, so I'd bet that they would stabilize in your gun. I think the 200 grainers are better for all around hunting, with good thump for bears as backup, but for strictly bear protection the 220's would probably be the ticket.

I read on another forum where someone that tried the 200 gr accubond Doubletap ammo that claims 2550 fps from a 22 in tube, only showed about 2400 fps over his chrono. Maybe that is representative, maybe not. I am going to do some load testing myself in the near future I hope. I am going to try both MR-2000 and Reloder-17 powders, and am planning on testing 200 gr partitions, 208 Amax, 210 berger, 220 gr partition, and 240 grain Woodleighs. I know that most people think these are too heavy for a 308 Win, but the Lee manual has data for up to a 250 grain bullet (2089 fps max). The 308 will push a 250 grain at about 2100 fps. With this new powder, I think that 2200 fps, maybe more, for the 240's is easily doable. That should be more than enough velocity for shots up to 100 yds in thick cover for say, hog hunting. Woodleigh says that 1800 fps is the minimum speed for this bullet. I know they are long bullets, but believe it or not, they are shorter than 180 grain Barnes TTSX! Barnes says 1 in 11" twist is good for this bullet, and that is what my rifle has, so I should be good to go I hope.

Mainer, have you tried Re17 with 200 gr bullets in your 308 yet? We talked about this the last time we were together, but you had no Re17, IIRC. I have loaded it enough now to tell you it is easiy to get way over 2500 fps with good accuracy and case life.

Still have tight primer pockets after five loadings per case in that gal's Stevens 200.

Trust the new bambina and mom are both doing fine.

Ted

Hi Ted!

No, I still haven't tried the Reloader 17, but AK_lanche has both Reloader 17 and MR-2000 loaded up and I'm anxiously awaiting his results. Yes, all is well, I'll email some more pictures soon. Should be headin your way again in spring.

Mainer-did you find a start load published somewhere or was this all trial and error?

all trial n error. chose a new powder, and the 200 grain bullet that you almost never find in a 308 Winchester. It took two range sessions, two different bullets, quite a few different charge weights, two different primers, and two different rifles to get to this point. AK_lanche will continue on with 200 grain woodleighs which leaves more room for powder. Since this powder produces such mild pressure, he will probably do very well going beyond 47 grains.

I won't attempt anything more than 47 grains in my rifle though, because it's a Savage 99 carbine that was made in 1967. No need in pushing the bullet any faster. Lanche's rifle is new (22" barrel), so he'll certainly see between 2,500-2,600fps.

Thanks for the info Mainer.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    ...it's a Savage 99 carbine that was made in 1967.
    I know this is about 200's, but I have to toss this out. I had one of those at one time, and it was just stoooopid in love with 165 grain Partitions. Even with a receiver sight it outshot a lot of scoped guns of the day. I'm betting you've tried it already, but if not take a look.

This is just a refreshing thread! It's good to hear guys are still using the old standards like the 308 and doing load development with them. I usually just look past all of the threads on the super duper wiz bang magnums but read em all when they got to do with anything based on the parent 308 case. A good read for sure!

Hoping to hit the range tomorrow, weather depending. Got RL-17 and MR-2000 loaded up under the woodleighs ready to try. My Kimber is out at the "biggest loser" ranch right now so I'll be using my wife .308 in Rem Model 7 which also has a 20" barrel.

Will report my findings tomorrow perhaps. Anything 2500+ I would be tickled with. Once I get to that velocity we'll see if I can tweak to get some accuracy. Otherwise I'll drop back to 180s and try to get them going 2700+ with any kind of accuracy.

This new 2000-MR powder is fantastic for heavy bullet loads in non-magnum cartridges. I'm getting 2425 fps muzzle velocity with a 275 gr Hawk RT out of my 35 Whelen AI with 24" barrel. That's within 125 fps of a 338 WM with the same weight bullet, using 15 grains less powder!

good luck lanche, do you have extras? I'd like to try them woodleighs. If you see 2,500 from a 20" barrel, than you're pretty much in 30-06/200 grain territory. Especially from your other rifle with the longer barrel.

Drow,

I'm glad to hear the powder works good in your medium bore. Check out the 9.3x62 mauser thread, I'll be developing a load using the MR-2000 and the 300 grain swift a-frame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast