Thread: Denali Hwy trail heads-up

Default Denali Hwy trail heads-up

Lots of mushers are on the road. With the trail being groomed by Cruz Construction (thanks guys) to move out the F-22 crash camp from last year, you can run at a very high rate of speed. There are enough fairly blind curves and hills that you really need to keep an eye out for the dog sleds. We have to share the trails and need to be responsible for our speed.

On that note about responsibility... Does anyone know why several Iditarod mushers that were training out there run no reflective material on their clothers, sleds, or dog harnesses? While we as snowmachiners have a responsiblity to be careful, they should be responsible for being visible. Sure be nice to see one of those blinking red LED's the bicyclists use on the rear of the musher, and an LED marker light on the lead dog. Makes it really hard to see them at even 30 mph.

Thanks for the heads up.

How far is the trail groomed? Do you know?

Currently, until Cruz Const. leaves, it is groomed from Cantwell to mile 68 at Alpine Creek Lodge. It is also supposed to be groomed from Paxson to McClaren Lodge, but I haven't seen it firsthand. Supposedly somebody has SnowTrak monies to groom the entire Denali Hwy, but that wasn't happening before Cruz took care of it. Hopefully, once Cruz leaves, whomever has the grooming contract will continue to make it happen.

i thought maclaren lodge was suppose to groom it but he dropped his groomer thru the ice a year or so back? does that ring any bells?
    its a sweet ride when its groomed....wow.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Somebody groomed from the east, past Alpine Creek to the Susitna and turned around. So, somebody has a groomer going out there. However, I looked up everything I could about SnowTrac funds for 2012 and I don't see where anyone from the Denali Hwy applied for this year.