Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Inflatables at the Boat Show

  1. #1
    Member AKluvr95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    646

    Default Inflatables at the Boat Show

    I originally posted on Power Boating but due to short time until I'm at the show I re-posted here ~ hope that's okay...
    Anyone heard of getting good deals on tenders at the Anchors Aweigh boat show? I'm going down there Saturday and was curious what brands I can expect to see.
    I'd like to get one with a heavier bottom so I can run up on the beach [cabins/camps, bear, deer, clamming etc] without worrying too much. What is the inflatable floor I read about below and why do people like them ~ seems they'd be prone to puncture. I'll need some sort of floor to protect it from our dog's claws.
    Though really nice, I'm not able to fork out the amount of cash King's wants for their Alaskan Series. I have room on our hardtop for an 8.5 footer between my rocket launchers and my radar tower. I like the Achellies brand ~ as several opted for them below as well. West Marine had some decent ones on display but not the one I need...Thanks in Advance
    P.S. I'll be using a 3HP kicker.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I originally posted on Power Boating but due to short time until I'm at the show I re-posted here ~ hope that's okay...
    Anyone heard of getting good deals on tenders at the Anchors Aweigh boat show? I'm going down there Saturday and was curious what brands I can expect to see.
    I'd like to get one with a heavier bottom so I can run up on the beach [cabins/camps, bear, deer, clamming etc] without worrying too much. What is the inflatable floor I read about below and why do people like them ~ seems they'd be prone to puncture. I'll need some sort of floor to protect it from our dog's claws.
    Though really nice, I'm not able to fork out the amount of cash King's wants for their Alaskan Series. I have room on our hardtop for an 8.5 footer between my rocket launchers and my radar tower. I like the Achellies brand ~ as several opted for them below as well. West Marine had some decent ones on display but not the one I need...Thanks in Advance
    P.S. I'll be using a 3HP kicker.
    Achilles are great inflatable, but every time you run it on the beach you're asking for trouble. One sharp rock is going to ruin your day and our boat.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  3. #3
    Member AKluvr95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Copy on not running onto the beach. I'll be sure to reamin vigilant for rocks and not run up but rather cautiously go ashore. I sure don't want extra trouble out there ~ message well recived. Thanks Mutt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Achilles are great inflatable, but every time you run it on the beach you're asking for trouble. One sharp rock is going to ruin your day and our boat.

  4. #4
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    I posted to your thread over on the power boat forum, just want to add something. We run our Alaska Series inflatable to shore every day we are on the Sound, in four seasons it has never been punctured and we run in up on rocks all the time.

    Excuse me while I find a piece of wood to knock on.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  5. #5
    Member AKluvr95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Thanks much for the info ~ I see it on your boat at the bottom of your message. I believe they are probably one of [if not] the best inflatable’s for our environs. Hoping they will have a good deals on them at the show. I'd love to own one of the best...AND OBTW I do miss Gary King's Sporting Goods Store very much. Sure wish it didn't turn into another fitness gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I posted to your thread over on the power boat forum, just want to add something. We run our Alaska Series inflatable to shore every day we are on the Sound, in four seasons it has never been punctured and we run in up on rocks all the time.

    Excuse me while I find a piece of wood to knock on.

  6. #6

    Default

    I would recommend you stick with hypalon for strenth and the floor should be rigid if you are taking the dog most times. Inflatable floors are decent but not bulletproof. The down-side to the rigid floor is the weight but I personally wouldn`t run an inflatable floor to save a few pounds. There are glue-on keel and tube protectors available if you really think you`ll subject your tender to hard strikes like coral covered boulders or sharp shale. Just thinking through your landing can help alot...note the swell and such and beaching will be painless.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  7. #7
    Member tzieli22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Stop by Marita's and talk to Danial, you'll save a few hundred bucks. They have zodiac's and Achillies and I've got both. I took my achillies w/inflatable floor moose hunting on the koyakuk for 2 weeks and it worked great. And on the beaches outa Seward.
    Tony

  8. #8
    Member AKluvr95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Sounds like a great tip but I'm not up to speed on Hypalon. I Googled it as a result of your message but all I learned is its a strong rubber coating. I plan on attending the inflatable repair class and expect I'll learn about the different materials. We travel with our dogs 90% of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I would recommend you stick with hypalon for strenth and the floor should be rigid if you are taking the dog most times. Inflatable floors are decent but not bulletproof. The down-side to the rigid floor is the weight but I personally wouldn`t run an inflatable floor to save a few pounds. There are glue-on keel and tube protectors available if you really think you`ll subject your tender to hard strikes like coral covered boulders or sharp shale. Just thinking through your landing can help alot...note the swell and such and beaching will be painless.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    An 8.5 inflatable with 2 adults powered by a 3hp motor is "adequate". Top speed might be 5 mph is you are lucky and the boat will be packed if you have two adults, a back pack, and two rifles onboard. As long as you realize the limitations the boat/motor is a nice, fairly lightweight package. Just don't expect it to do anything more than what I mentioned. We use the same rig and are pretty happy with it when cruising around hunting spots during moose hunting or when going to shore in the salt. I am really impressed with how well the inflatable floor holds up.

    There are times we wished we had a 10 footer with a 6 hp motor, but then the rig increases in weight about 60 pounds and is a PITA to get on or off the roof of our Sea Sport. Still, there are times a nice 12 footer with a 10 hp motor is even nicer

    All great choices just make sure you buy the package that is right for you. I have never seen good prices on any boats at the boat show. But there are some good buys at the Sportsman Show in April on inflatables. Check online for prices as most lower 48 vendors offer free shipping to the lower 48. You can have the boat/motor shipped to a freight forwarder in Tacoma and have it sent to Anchorage for about $100-120 for both the motor and boat.

  10. #10
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    FWIW, I had PVC Maxxon for several years. It had the inflatable floor and It held up very well. We had hundreds of "shore parties" with our lab and springer. They never punctured the floor or the tubes, for that matter. We stepped up to an aluminum hulled RIB with a 15 horse, but I had to sell a kidney before this purchase.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  11. #11

    Default

    There's a company that makes liquid rubber. Comes in a can and is made for inflatables. You mix two parts together and then brush it onto the bottom of the inflatable. Sort of like truck bed liner material. W. Marine sells it. You can put it on as thick or thin as you want.

  12. #12
    Member AKluvr95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. All things considered I went with an Achilles LEX 88 w/ the wooden floor for the dogs. Thanks again.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    There's a company that makes liquid rubber. Comes in a can and is made for inflatables. You mix two parts together and then brush it onto the bottom of the inflatable. Sort of like truck bed liner material. W. Marine sells it. You can put it on as thick or thin as you want.
    say whaaaaa??? that is interesting stuff .. i recently discovered a small leak of water coming from somewhere at the bottom of my inflatable boat that needs fixing. I was looking for something like the liquid rubber stuff for a while now. I was about to buy some Flex Seal but kinda figured it wasnt going to be strong enough.

  14. #14
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Looks like the Alaska Series boats went up in price 30 ish % over last year...

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Member AKluvr95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    646

    Default

    There's a class on inflatable boat repairs tomorrow at 2 PM @ boat show. As a new inflatable boat owner I already got my ticket since it was only two dollars more for multi day admission.

    Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    say whaaaaa??? that is interesting stuff .. i recently discovered a small leak of water coming from somewhere at the bottom of my inflatable boat that needs fixing. I was looking for something like the liquid rubber stuff for a while now. I was about to buy some Flex Seal but kinda figured it wasnt going to be strong enough.

  16. #16
    Member AKluvr95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    646

    Default

    I thought they were reasonable for the quality ~ this was a very challenging decision for me...
    If I had an extra $500 I'd own one of Kings' but another deciding factor was weight.
    They are not light ~ keel inset adds 35# alone!

  17. #17

    Default

    I am in the market for a new boat and have a few questions for you.First off how much does a good kidney go for these days?????What about a slightly used wife?She is house broken but mean as hell....

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    FWIW, I had PVC Maxxon for several years. It had the inflatable floor and It held up very well. We had hundreds of "shore parties" with our lab and springer. They never punctured the floor or the tubes, for that matter. We stepped up to an aluminum hulled RIB with a 15 horse, but I had to sell a kidney before this purchase.

  18. #18
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    I am in the market for a new boat and have a few questions for you.First off how much does a good kidney go for these days?????What about a slightly used wife?She is house broken but mean as hell....
    Kidney's value go down with age. Beer consumption can also affect the price. I spent waaaaay too much on my set up and that was getting it at dealer cost. It is pretty bad ass, though. That goes along way...especially with the kids!

    I hope your wife doesn't peruse this forum...heh, heh.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  19. #19

    Default

    I'd suggest patching the leak with a patch and then using the liquid rubber over that if you're going to use the liquid rubber. I'm not sure what the limitations are of the liquid rubber as far as patching goes. But it's been a while since I've read the instructions on the can so maybe it's meant for just that purpose.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •