Thread: Getting a USCG six-pac

Default Getting a USCG six-pac

I couldn't figure out where to put this, sorry if it is in the wrong spot. For those of you who have gotten your USCG six pack, how did you go about doing it? I dont live in alaska(yet) I want to guide, but every single job app i come across calls for one. I tried looking up how to do it but just get confused. It says you need 360 documented days running a boat. I own my own boat and run it about 3 or more times a week on lake superior and other lakes, how ever I have no way of documenting this. How are you supposed to get documented days running a boat to get the six pack if you cant get a job running a boat with out one. It seems like i am running in a circle.

thanks!

Talk to your local Coast Guard... they should be able to tell you how to document your time

Lots of guide jobs up here , You have to decide what Licenes you want inland water or Ocean or a 1 ton ect. I have had my inland for 12 years.Look up online for classes in your area. I had to run a boat up here 2 seasons before I applied for my first guide job the reason was I had prop boats all my life in the lower 48 but the CG said I had to have my time in a jet boat for my inland license .Or call these folks they should be able to help
    http://alaskawatersconsulting.com/oupv-restricted.htm
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

As the registered owner of the vessel you can document your time on the water in your own vessel using the Small Vessel Sea Service Form here:

http://www.uscg.mil/forms/cg/cg_719s.pdf

Once you open the form up you will see that you can document up to 5 years of time on one vessel on a single form.

For the exam you can go to the Coast Guard regional exam center and take all the tests there, or register for a class at a maritime school where they are authorized to administer the tests in conjunction with the class. The classes are geared toward passing the test, which I found to be very helpful.