Thread: Self Guded Fishing Options

Default Self Guded Fishing Options

After 18 years since I last sreiously fished in Alaska, I am finally able to go back for a fishing trip.
    I am most interested in the self guided option that a handful of lodges offer. I have narrowed it down to two locations. One is located in the Juneau area and the other is on the west side of Prince of Wales Island. Both offer the same services at a comparable price and boats used are similar as well. I will be going towards the end of August and both silvers and halibut are the main objective.
    I have people that I know who have fished both palces and it seems both are comparible to what you can expect. I would love to hear what other have to say about theit own experiences in these locations.
    I appreciate any feedback that I can get.
    Thanks,
    fisher5000

Hey Fisher,

I have never fished Juneau so I can't help you there. As for the West Coast of POW, the fishing rocks. I HAVE fished it, though I live and mostly fish on the East side. Anyway depending on who you go with you should have a blast. What place you looking at on POW? Fishing Sea Otter Sound? I love that place.

One thing I would recommend you do is check the fishing reports on the ADFG website for each place for the timeframes you are looking at. Probably the best starting point.

Good luck!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

August 22, 2011
    Juneau
    Juneau area anglers are currently putting in an average of 116-rod hours per king salmon in the Juneau area. Last year at this time it required 686-rod hours and the five-year average was 281-rod hours per fish. Hot spots for the Juneau area are the North Shelter Island, and South Shelter Island areas.

Coho currently require an average of 6-rod hours per fish. At this time last year fisherman were putting in an average of 5-rod hours per fish and the 5-year average was 6-hours per fish. Hot spots for coho include North and South Shelter Island, and Pt. Retreat areas.

Anglers targeting halibut are currently taking 6-rod hours per fish. Both last year and the 5-year average were at 6-rod hours per halibut. Hot spots for halibut were Benjamin Island, South Shelter, and Breadline areas.

August 23, 2011
    Fishing remained good for anglers fishing in marine waters off the west coast of Prince Of Wales Island (POW) last week. King fishing has slowed down from its peak in June and July, anglers fishing out of Craig and Klawock last week averaged 34 hours of effort per harvested king salmon, much better than the 5-year average of 78 hours/fish for this same time period. Halibut fishing remained good. Last week anglers averaged 3 hours of effort per harvested halibut, right at the five year average for this same time period. Coho salmon fishing was excellent in marine waters off the west coast of POW, with anglers averaging 1 hour/fish last week. Coho fishing should remain good for a few more weeks. Pinks and chums are still showing up in marine catches, but these numbers should start dropping as fish enter streams to spawn. Anglers are reminded to check ADF&G's main web page for in-season regulation changes for king salmon, lingcod and rockfish, and the prohibition on filleting of king, coho and lingcod until returning to port under the emergency order icon. Inquires about in-season changes can also be addressed by calling the POW office at (907) 826-2498 or dropping by the office in Craig.

There ya go, good luck.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Lastly, new regs out for SE butts this year making the guided options a great bet for 2012. Might want to check out a few lodges in the Craig area if you have the coin. Those fellas whack salmon and bottom fish. I don't know who forum member 270TI works for but he is king salmon master and would be a blast to fish with.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Hey Gooch, thanks for taking the time to post a reply. Your insight is very helpful and informative. I booked with Sea Otter Sound Lodge last night. I met the owner and his wife at the Sportsman's Expo., super nice folks! It's great to hear that you think highly of them since you are in the business. This is the area that I fished all those years ago and it was great fishing then. I am looking forward to having the independence of fishing in my own boat. It seems as though the fishing in that area is more consistent than the Juneau area and from what I remember, not much competition either.
    fisher5000

Nice, you'll love their place! I usually stop in for a cup of coffee when I fish that side it is a great operation and they have been at it a long time. Have a great trip, should be another dandy king year.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island