Thread: thats my fish

Default thats my fish

Well I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but I went out fishing yesterday with a buddy rainbow fishing and hooked a nice one though it would make a nice dinner so I put in outside fished for about 3 more hrs when we could hear something outside crunching so my buddy looked out to find a dog eating my fish that was the only nice fish we got for the day. now i know not to put fish outside the shanty anyone else have any story like this please share

I hope the dog threw it up on his master's carpet. People should keep their dogs tied up.

Back in the day I've had turtles, mink and otters chew up my fish on a stringer, But the worst yet was the neighbor mutt that rolled my deer hindquarters around in the gravel this fall.

I was just about done breaking down a deer when the wife called me to dinner. I walk outside 20 minutes later and both of my quarters are on the ground covered in dirt and gravel.. The bastage dragged one down, then upon deciding he didn't like gravel on his venison.....grabbed the other one down...and rolled it around. He only made off with a medium bowl of scraps but the time spent retrimming and cleaning that deer up left me fuming. I have dogs and I love them, but had I gotten a hold of "Marley" (no joke) that night, I'd have wrung his neck. Anyhoo, the next time I got a deer I informed the neighbor of the past occurrence and asked them to keep an extra close eye on their pooch for the next few days til the deer was taken care of (and never let it out of my sight when it wasn't hanging)

Then, just this weekend my neighbor walked up and we started chatting, we're new to town so had just talked in passing before. At one point deer came up, he mentioned that his dog had made an awful mess of the house for a day or two after getting into my deer, to which I laughed out loud, said it served them both right, and we agreed to not let it happen again on either end.

But agreed, people need to control their dogs. Coming recently out of Dilingham, where the dogs seem to rule the town and leashes or kennels are unheard of, I had high hopes of Juneau and Douglas being better....and while in general it is, there is still way too much of dogs running loose, people letting their dogs poop in front of my boat and truck (and mailbox) and not picking it up.

I've had bald eagles take my fish off the ice. I've also had a dog or two do it as well. Now I keep everything real close....lessons learned.

I've had more than one eagle grab my rainbow or dolly just after I release it on the Kenai in the winter.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I was fishing sand earlier this winter and my pup (~ 1yr old at the time) discovered and chewed the tail off a char that the guys next to us caught and tossed on the ice. Happened fast, her nose took her right to the prize. Felt bad, but could not take it back.

Had a steelhead gain about 20 pounds near the end of a battle on the Situk a couple years back. Turned out, I was being robbed by an otter.

back in the day i was fishing off the culverts that go under the runway in juneau, {jorden creek} i caught a nice dolly and put it on the stringer. a few minutes later the stringer started thrashing i looked down to see an irish lord rip that dolly off and swim away.

Last year we were fishing on Finger Lake and I had a couple nice fish on a stringer hanging off the boat. The stringer started going crazy so I looked over the side to see a loon had swallowed on and was trying to swallow another one. I pulled the stringer up out of the water and the loon came with it. I just cut the stringer and let the loon have two nice bows on me..."fishon"

Back in the mid-90s, I was fishing a pond in Oklahoma with my cousin. As we caught fish, we just tossed them up on the bank behind us. When we were done, we walked the perimeter of the pond and gathered the fish. I got to one fish and noticed it was swollen considerably larger than when I first caught it. Little did I know at that spot of the pond was a rattlesnake. I must have hit it with the fished as I tossed it on the bank. We did not think it was smart to eat it, so we tossed it.

I was float tubing Matanuska lake in Wasilla going after some trout. I caught a small rainbow and release it. The water was so clear that I watched the fish swim away only to be eaten by a Loon. This loon would stay close to me to see if it could get another fish from me. I scared it away from me by tossing a branch near it and it eventually left me alone. I bet this guy has eaten his fair share of fish from other fisherman. Those Loons are gutsy!

what kind of dog....there is a forum member here whos dog is missing. a hungry lost dog perhaps?

i don't know what kind it was but It looked like a lab mixed with something

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    what kind of dog....there is a forum member here whos dog is missing. a hungry lost dog perhaps?
    Here's the lost dog thread... pics inside. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...10327-Lost-Dog
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

You could always bring a gut pile back with you and set it on the edge of your property. After that dog(s) roll around in that for awhile, you'll have complete satisfaction.....GUARANTEED! The dogs' owners will be most unpleased!

Where was it last seen I will keep an eye out for it i have two heelers myself

Been robbed by otters on the Situk, Eagles off the beach in Sitka, Mink on the Bitterroot in Montana, loons on Long Lake,Knik lake and finger, bears on Byers creek, snapping turtles in Wisconsin,seagulls in several places. Various dogs everywhere. The most entertaining robbery that I witnessed was down at big river lakes summer of '95 I was guiding several Japanese clients of only one could speak marginal english. There was another boat there with a stringer of reds hanging off the side. Suddenly there was a commotion and a brown bear was swimming dangerously close to their boat the guy in the back was frantically yanking on the pull cord trying to start the motor to no avail. The bear grabbed hold of one of the fish on the stringer and ripped one loose, promptly turning around and swimming away with it's prize. It all happened so fast no one had a chance to get pictures I would have killed to have caught that on video.

yea, i got my pike robbed at sand lake back in the day by a huge loon. i had my stringer hanging off my float tube and a loon dive bombed my fish. it had the pike stuck in its mouth and was dragging me and my tube around....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)