I know this is kind of late to be booking but I will be coming back from Afghanistan to Fairbanks in late April/early May. I have never fished out of Seward or for Halibut for that matter so I'm looking for a good charter service. It will be me, my wife and 3 children ages 14, 10 and 7. I've seen prices ranging from $350-$220 a person or chartering the whole vessel for $1500 and up. I'm not overly concerned about the price as much as the wife is. We will be pulling the RV down there and probably staying at the Seward MWR facility. So here are my questions:
1. Is there any charter service more reputable than any other?
2. Is the 7 year old boy and 10 year old girl going to be able to handle a Halibut? I'm not too concerned with the 14 year old girl. She's caught 50lb kings out of the Klutina on her own when she was 12.
3. Would you suggest trying to charter the whole boat for ourselves only?
4. Is there a charter service that consistently catches more or bigger Halibut?
5. Would you recommend a full day Halibut only or a combo charter?
I know it's a lot of questions but like I said, we've never done a charter for Halibut and after being gone a year I want to give the family a good vacation and fishing experience.