Thread: Rino GPS? Anyone use these

Default Rino GPS? Anyone use these

I was given a Rino hand held 530 gps/radio with topo maps on it. I'm not sure that it's really much better then my reg hand held I've been using for a while now. Anyone have any experience with these, if so do you use many of the features it has while huting? I'm thinking this thing has too many options for me and may sell it.

Thanks
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    do you use many of the features it has while huting? I'm thinking this thing has too many options and may sell it.
    That's exactly what made me pass on that device when I upgraded my gps. I'm no expert, and ya gotta darn near be a lawyer to hunt these days, but in my mind that device flys in the face of too many regs. If I'm wrong on this judgement, I'd like to hear how cause that'll teach me something (again).

I've used the rino 120's for a long time now. Need to upgrade to a better gps with more memory and don't use nor need the radio function. I just turn off the radio. There is no issue with the regs as long as you aren't using it for hunting. If there were then the big rig guys would have to remove their CB radios. I've only ever used it as a gps and when I have monkeyed around with the radio during my fire days it ate the batteries too quickly anyhow. The 530 is a good gps and even better when it's given to you

I have owned 2 530 hcx models (lost the first one in a river in Montana) they are very useful devices. I have used the weather function many times coastal moose hunting here and mountain/plains deer hunting in Montana, the radio is a nice way to be entertained with friends while in the field just don't use it to corner game and your gtg. Rino's are very useful when on the road also I use mine in the jeep or on my R6. P.S. they do not float they are water proof but they do not float.

I've used the Rhino's for a couple years now. The newer versions have much better GPS and radio now, but the older ones worked well too. Good for keeping track of your hunting partners and knowing that you aren't crossing paths and bumping each other all day, also good for being able to find the guy with an animal down that needs help packing(if you want to find him...). Regs say you can't use radios in the pursuit of game or to aid in taking of game, I read that as you can't communicate to heard the animals or try to corner them. I don't see how they could tell you that you can't communicate with others in your hunting party or can't have a radio while out hunting.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

The bonus part with the radio is for safety. Whenever you click the talk button, it marks your (or your partners whereabouts) that way, if you die, they know where to start looking. You can communicate while hunting as long as you are not directing to game. I wish I could afford one. I think you should sell me yours for cheap.

My wife just bought me one (655) for xmas. Previously I had always used the GPS for just "Mark" and "Go To" function. It was always useful in that way, but all the other bajillion functions went unused. But, this January I was hunting in Arizona (unfamiliar territory) and used it for defining hunting unit boundaries and was very helpful in defining the private vs public land. It was a program that I had to buy and install, but turned out to be well worth it. Of course, they don't have this program for Alaska yet--hopefully someday. The other great use was the radio and the fact that it transmits your hunting partners location. Not only was it a cool feature, but it got me to thinking how great it would be hunting with a partner in thick country. That way you always know where your partner is. I am giving it a thumbs up!

I got a factory refurbished Rhino 520 HCX for Christmas and am very pleased with it so far. I haven't really played with it too much but as stated above I really like having a radio and I like the feature where it marks your location to every other radio on your frequency.

Last month when I got my snowmachine stuck in the overflow near Claude's I left my Rhino on the sled. When we went back to extract my machine the following day the GPS was still on. Granted, the battery was nearly dead but it had spent 25 hours at temps from 0 to -25 and was still on and the screen was not frozen. I was very impressed.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

We have used the 120's for years. The radio lets you check in with each other and the tracking feature lets you know how far away your buddy is. Very useful units!

Default chicken

OK. I appreciate hearing from all the rhino users, as I said before that I wanted to. I'll admit to being "chicken" to using one while hunting, though I'd prefer to use the phrase "overly-conservative in my choices".

But in my defense, remember that Jeff King was charged with an convicted of an illegal moose kill 4 years ago, and one/some of the evidence against him was the waypoints that he marked on his GPS before he willingly handed it over to the troopers.

What if Jeff King had been using a rhino, and had a hunting partner? And the troopers upon inspection showed that he not only communicated with his partner during a hunt (was it during the final moments before the kill shot?) but also electronically transmitted his lat/lon to that partner (which the rhino does well I hear). Isn't it true that the case against him would have been easier to prove?

That being said, I'm one of those that don't believe that Jeff King did anything illegal. I think that when the troopers met him initially, that they should have asked for Jeff's own advice (and believed it) regarding where the park boundary was. My opinion only.

I'm not familiar with the Jeff King case, so I can't comment there. That said, the ability to send waypoints to other rino users is a very nice feature. My family and I are able to scout pre-season and gather waypoints then transfer all of them easily to each others Rino's. Now, there's no need to carry topo's with hundreds of numbers on them and descriptions on the back of the map of each one.

Wish I had the new 600 series, as the Birdseye can be extremely helpful. In fact, that technology probably was the #1 most important to getting my moose this year. I love my 530, but the 600 series is the THE way to go.

Default Link to the Jeff King case, and using electronic communications

Quote Originally Posted by Orelk6x6 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Jeff King case
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...sekill10m.html

There are also some pretty pertinent regs about how and when you can use electronic communications while hunting, but I don't know them, and myself I just steer clear of all electronic communications while hunting. Overly conservative? Yeah, probably so. Also, other than a NOAA weather radio, I bring no radios or iPods or any audio stuff. Just how I started doing things, and I still do them the same way.