Thread: George Lake Mess

Thumbs down George Lake Mess

We went to George Lake the other day. The temperature was minus 10 with winds about 20mph. Not too bad but when we drilled our first holes the water that came up with the auger looked like chocolate milk. We ran the auger to see if it cleared up but it didn't. We move out to 35 feet of water with the same results. Next we went to the other side of the lake to see if we could get away from this discolored water but it was the same thing everywhere we drilled. I couldn't determine if it went all the way to the bottom or if it was suspended right at the top just under the ice.

I admit I became discouraged after fishing for a little over an hour not knowing if the fish could even see my lure. I hadn't set up my Eskimo shelter after setting it up at the first hole so I was fishing in the cold wind and I pulled up stakes and headed back to Fairbanks.

I'm thinking that what I saw was a late season blue green algae bloom from last fall that had deteriorated and turned brown and was a decayed floating mass. The initial thought when I drilled the first hole was how did I hit mud bottom here as I knew from past experience that the water depth should have been 12-16 feet in that location.

Anyone else been down there to have any input in this situation?

Same thing this weekend but I dont think it has an effect on the bite.

Did you catch some fish under that brown stain? I had my Vexilar and I saw one fish checking out my jig but he didn't take it. I changed to a silver spoon and he bumped it as he came up off the bottom but he didn't really take it and I didn't hook him. By that time I was discouraged and cold and didn't bother setting up the shanty again to get out of the wind.