Thread: Adak Questions/Advise

Default Adak Questions/Advise

Hello All...I am putting together a caribou trip to Adak. There will be three of us. I'd like to know many of you have made the trip out there? I am thinking that we will try and do it around the end of August or first of September. Any advise or opinion on this timing? Anyone hunted out there then? lots of unknowns here. Kind of makes it cool!

Email Michael Strahan here at the forum (he's also the owner of this fine site); he has hunted and posted on Adak bou in the past.

Best...
    Proud to be an American!

My sons and I made the trip to Adak in November 2010 and had a good hunt and came home with a bunch of meat for the freezer. Never saw any mature bulls in a week so my thought is it's mainly a meat hunt. There is a ton of cool stuff to look at out there, I could have spent another week just exploring. Do a search on this site you'll find quite a bit of info. From what I gather in Aug-Sept the animals will be a long way from town. PM me if you want.

I have been to Adak about a dozen times. It is my favorite hunting spot and I just returned from a winter trip with my boys in January. If you are going to go for a camping and hiking adventure then your timing is perfect. Plan on hiking...a lot, but the country is beautiful and the hiking is easy. As long as you are in any type of decent physical shape, you will have no problem getting out to the caribou in just one day. Then you can spend a few days finding your trophy or just watching all the animals interact. IF your going for the meat, then the winter is the best time. It is cow only, but they are close to town (which means you can shoot a lot of caribou and not worry about packing them back) and coming home with 5 coolers of meat is no problem at all. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    Hello All...I am putting together a caribou trip to Adak. There will be three of us. I'd like to know many of you have made the trip out there? I am thinking that we will try and do it around the end of August or first of September. Any advise or opinion on this timing? Anyone hunted out there then? lots of unknowns here. Kind of makes it cool!
    You might have a look at our ADAK CARIBOU HUNTING PAGE for a general overview of the situation out there. Note to anyone who has hunted Adak and doesn't mind updating me on some of the details on that page... I know some things have changed, so feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll update the info.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay