Thread: Hiding in plain sight

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Hiding in plain sight

Finally got a chance to chase some ptarmigan last week (it has been a busy winter). I followed tracks around for 2 1/2 hours on the snowshoes and finally found some birds and the way back to the parking lot. I found my dog to be gun shy and useless in finding birds. Guess he doesn't know he's half lab Hopefully I can get my seven year old son out there before the season ends.

A couple of birds decked out in snow camo:
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

great job!! dare i ask where?!!! what gun? im planning a trip to adak island this spring and ima try and shoot some ptarmies...
    what size shot do u like as an overall grouse/ptarmagin shot?
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Scott- good job on the birds. I hope you have some success on getting your boy on some birds. Take the wings and tape them to your bumpers for your dog. Did he at least retrieve them for you?

Joefish- IMO 7.5 shot works best for ptarmigan with either a 20 or 12guage with IC or Mod choke. IC choke works really well if the birds are flushing close but modified usually works the best for me.

Awesome! Nice looking birds. I think I have the same Rossi 22/410 in nickel finish. Perfect backpack gun. I find that the 7.5 shot is good for killing the birds, but I find lots of pellets in the meat. After reloading my fired shells with 4 and 6 shot, I found almost no pellets in the meat and still patterns good without gaps. As for the dog, you just need to get him excited about birds. I used to have a dog that would wet herself at the sound of a gun. Then one day, I shot a squirrel out of a tree and it landed right at her feet. After that, she would go nuts every time she saw the gun. It just takes a little practice and conditioning sometimes, and they will figure it out.

Thanks for the advice on the dog. He wouldn't retrieve, and I don't think it's a priority to make a bird dog out of him. I do hope to make him a little less gun shy.

I went back out with my two yr old son. we had fun and saw one bird but not in a spot I could safely shoot.

that is defiantly the rossi 410 that I have. Nice birds. Were you hunting in the hills around eagle river by chance?

Nah, north of the valley.

Should I be emmbarrased that I hunt with the gun I gave my kid for his fifth birthday?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Nah, north of the valley.

Should I be emmbarrased that I hunt with the gun I gave my kid for his fifth birthday?

Should I be embarrassed about this

photo.php photo.php photo.php

that gun is awesome for ptarmigan and really puts the sport back in it! You have to get pretty close to make sure you don't wound em and end up on a turkey chase. And you really have to be on your game to drop one on the wing with this gun. That being said it is very rewarding when you do . When I shoot ptarmigan with my 20 gauge 870 wingmaster it usually chews the meat up pretty bad. But it makes wing shots a lot more realistic. I think the 410 is the best ptarmigan gun, especially a cheap one like the rossi that you don't mind abusing while your thigh deep in powder or cinching it down to the snowmachine.

mbrenna,
    Couldn't get the facebook photos to load, probably set to private.
    About a month and a half of season left, right? Get after em.
    Attachment 57207