Thread: ATV Trailers

Default ATV Trailers

Newby to this forum everyone. Just had a quick question for anyone that would be willing to take the time to respond...For those of you that are avid hunters, what would you consider is a reasonable price to pay for a large T-style meat wagon with a walking beam tandem axel? Very similar to the largest Pac-Rat, but with well sealed wood box instead of fiberglass. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks All.

BTW....just found this site.....way cool. Keep up all the great threads.

the walking beam and tires are the main expense of any such set up, I have an aluminum rig that I've got about 1800 into, so a wood one would be no more than 1500 if it was new. a new pac rat at the show is $2000, so much less than that. imo

I agree with these figures. We've built a few trailers like you are asking about over the years. We stuck with single axle but the last one we did a while back we had an easy 800 into the materials not including any of our time. Of course one of this winter's projects is to convert it to walking beam so we'll see how much more I'll have into it when finished.

Four some good ideas, do a search for "The Mountail Goat Tralers" Site. For the P Rangers, look for the Mule Goat Extreme All Terrain Trailer.

Bruce.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

white spruce trailers in ANC has some aluminum, walking beam dual axel, sealed trailers on their lot... its a nice product but NOT inexpensive...might give you some ideas...

if you want the best aluminum walking beam meat wagon out there, then call Dave at Tag-A-Long trailers in Anchorage, he definetely makes and sells quality. A lot of us try to avoid the wood sides on meat wagons because of the extra weight over aluminum, plus aluminum just looks cooler.

Here is the trailer I built. I had Tag-along build me the tub and lid based on my dimensions and I made the frame, tongue and walking beam setup and I have around $1300 into it. I couldnt find anything I liked and could afford so this was the answer! I wouldnt pay anywhere close to that for a wood trailer.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Hey Hunt'N'Photos, does your walking beam have any limiters on it to prevent the tires from rubbing on the tub. In the pic it does not look like there is enough room for it to rotate all the way around. I have been thinking about building one but i was not planning on having enough room for the walking beam to rotate all the way around so my original plan was to use a torsion setup similar to the pack rat trailers. Just wondering if you have a better setup. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post

Here is the trailer I built. I had Tag-along build me the tub and lid based on my dimensions and I made the frame, tongue and walking beam setup and I have around $1300 into it. I couldnt find anything I liked and could afford so this was the answer! I wouldnt pay anywhere close to that for a wood trailer.

I do not have any limiters. The tires will rub if it articulates too far, but that would take some seriously bad terrain to make it do that and in three years of hard use the few times it has all it did was rub a little of the dirt off. I wouldnt change a thing. Just make sure that it is only flat smooth aluminum that it is rubbing against or you may have some tire damage. On a side note, I did have the hitch pop off going up a steep hill one them with a heavy load and the trailer rocked back and the tires acted as a brake keeping the trailer from rolling down the hill and possibly hitting my wife and/or flipping the trailer!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page