Thread: Need a Llama Revolver Gunsmith

Default Need a Llama Revolver Gunsmith

I have a buddy with a Llama 357mag revolver which is a spanish made revolver and it needs some work. The timing seems to be way off. I was hoping someone could recommend a gunsmith here in Anchorage. Thanks

I hate to be the one to tell you this but Llamas are junk. We had a guy come into the shop a couple of years ago and wanted to order a Llama 357. I told him that we could get them and it would be as a favor to him but we were in no way representing that gun or going to back it up if something was wrong with it. I said if you buy it and it's not what you expect or doesn't work you deal with Llama. Just as I expected he brought the gun back a week after he bought it with a problem. The shop owner bailed him out and that gun has sat on the back shelf ever since. The timing is way off.

A good gun smith will most likely turn you down and if he doesn't your apt to end up with a repair bill that exceeds the guns value.

The local shop closed at the end of the year and that Llama got thrown in the scrap metal barrel....where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I have a buddy with a Llama 357mag revolver which is a spanish made revolver and it needs some work. The timing seems to be way off. I was hoping someone could recommend a gunsmith here in Anchorage. Thanks
    So what do you really think of the ol Llama? I'll pass on what you said, the bummer thing is he is pretty fond of his little revolver. I guess that this being an import he can't send it back to the factory, but I hope he doesn't have to just chuck it.

I feel for your buddy. I have a Llama Super Comanche IV, .44 mag. I picked it up off GunBroker a few years back for about $250. It was something of an impulse buy- the auction was in its final stages when I first saw it and normally I like to research things to the enth degree when I make purchases. But the price was lower than others I had been watching and it looked good. In fact, it had been a safe queen and came to me as new. After the fact I read extremely mixed reviews on many different forums, ranging from great guns to those more like what was posted on this thread by elmerkeithclone. And I did read in many places that the company went belly up long ago and parts are nonexistent, so I'm up a creek if mine ever needs repair.

That said, I really like mine. I don't shoot it often- maybe five or six boxes through it each year. I hope to start reloading soon so I'd like to think I'll shoot a bit more. Mine is quite accurate for the ranges it would be used at. It's primary purpose is an extra level of piece of mind on a handful of outings of various sorts each year. I didn't care for the wood grips- they were a bit harsh on the hands after a couple of cylinders worth of ammo. I recently spent time modifying a Hogue monogrip (picked up for a couple of bucks on eBay) to fit it, and I have hopes that it will provide for more comfortable shooting sessions.

Again, I like mine. It does what it should for what I bought it for. I'm not stupid; if I shot thousands of rounds per year, its shelf life and my happiness with it might be greatly shortened. I get that. But I already feel like I've gotten out of it what I paid, so it's all good. My best to your friend. I hope he's able to find a solution for his.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Llama got thrown in the scrap metal barrel....where it belongs.
    See any more guns destine for the trash bin let me know! I can always find a use for them . . . they make great lamp bases if nothing else! Oh, hey what a door great knocker that thing would have made!

My Dad made a garden gate years ago from de-militarized junk rifles from India or some place. He paid $50 for 15 rusted junk rifles with cut actions at an auction and I thought he lost his mind but they made the coolest garden gate ever and for cheaper than you could buy any gate! Donít chuck it just because its worthless as a gun, itís an opportunity to make something neat that nobody else has.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Kobuk,

I personally would tell him to cut his losses! I had one years ago, dad bought it for me instead of a class ring in high school. I had only shot .38's through it until one day bear hunting in 97 or 98 the first shot with .357mag ammo didn't hit the target at close range. I shot one other shot and it blew the bbl off! I have on old 3x5 pic some where I come across now and again. I will take a digital photo sometime.

Now the story gets even wierder! I used a very popular gun store in the wasilla, leaving name out for good reason, as a FFL. Mailed gun back east to the importer I guess. They called and said they didn't make that model any more. He asked if I would take an Llama 9mm auto intead as a replacement. Being a teenager I said sure! Brand new gun was shipped to said gun store. I picked it up and walked out! I WAS A TEENAGER! No background or even ID check. Well I know said store will remember as guy still works there. So really just let the gun be!

Luckily I had only recieved a small cut by my thumb on the trigger hand. The side strap or where the bbl screwed into frame was missing after second shot and bbl fell off the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Kobuk,

I personally would tell him to cut his losses! I had one years ago, dad bought it for me instead of a class ring in high school. I had only shot .38's through it until one day bear hunting in 97 or 98 the first shot with .357mag ammo didn't hit the target at close range. I shot one other shot and it blew the bbl off! I have on old 3x5 pic some where I come across now and again. I will take a digital photo sometime.

Now the story gets even wierder! I used a very popular gun store in the wasilla, leaving name out for good reason, as a FFL. Mailed gun back east to the importer I guess. They called and said they didn't make that model any more. He asked if I would take an Llama 9mm auto intead as a replacement. Being a teenager I said sure! Brand new gun was shipped to said gun store. I picked it up and walked out! I WAS A TEENAGER! No background or even ID check. Well I know said store will remember as guy still works there. So really just let the gun be!

Luckily I had only recieved a small cut by my thumb on the trigger hand. The side strap or where the bbl screwed into frame was missing after second shot and bbl fell off the gun.
    Oh yeah forgot to add, the 9mm Llama was junk too! Should have kept it though as I sold it and it had changed hands a couple of times. Last time I had come across it was a sight for sore eyes. It was found loaded on the floor of an old pick up being drivin by a punk kid.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I had me a Llama one time ago. I didn't know they were bad guns.

It warn't a revolver, but an Auto in 22 LR. It looked like a scaled down version of a 1911, and it worked the same.

I sold it to GNG for cash money when I was hard up for some cash.

I didn't shoot it much, and it was a leetle rough, but I don't recall it ever jammed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

A lot of the cheaper revolvers have less than perfect timing. Most that I have seen are due to excess clearance between the cylinder locking bolt and the frame. You can often take the unloaded revolver and look down the bbl in good light while rotating the cylinder back and forth to see which way the bolt needs to be shimmed to get the timing closer. Brownells sells the little shims. Also look close at the bolt notches in the cylinder, if somebody has been playing dirty Harry and spinning the cylinder and then swings it shut, the bolt may bend and/or the notches in the cylinder get battered up a bit.... No easy fix for either of those senarios...
    ďYouíve gotten soft. Youíre like one of those police dogs whoís released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.Ē Bill McNeal of News Radio