Thread: Hand starting Honda 650 4- wheeler ???

Default Hand starting Honda 650 4- wheeler ???

My buddy managed to kill the battery on his 650 Honda (rencon or something like that) 4 wheeler while goofing around with his winch.

We eventually found out that there is a pull rope hidden under the seat and a plastic panel But we could hardly pull the darn thing. (We are both well over 200 pounds) and when we could occasionally get it to pull through fast enough, it would act like it was going to start and then kick-back. Which then pulls the rope back into the machine so fast that it either yanks your arm out of the socket or throws you over the machine.

Is there some sort of trick involving a compression release, or what??? Or was the pull-starter rope just put there as a cruel joke.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Cruel joke. My 500 Arctic Cat will rip the cord out of my hand if I'm not careful.

I've done my 02 Grizz 660
    I'll I gotta say is make sure you have a FIRM grip when you pull.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have a Yamaha Kodiak 400 with a pull starter. I have had to use it a couple of times and I see why they don't put them on most bigger machines. I am 6'5" and nearly 300 pounds and fairly lean, but it does take a good grip and the nerve of Achilles to be successful. If I don't lose the grip it starts usually on one pull, but it is tough.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

We had to haul out another battery to it. I tried pull starting it again and it would just kick back the few times I could get it to turn over. It felt like I was also pulling the starter motor along with it.
    So we hooked up the new battery and even then it took a long time to fire up. It seems that we had flooded it during all of our rope pulling exercises.
    You sure as heck would not send your wife out in the sticks by herself on that thing.

I miss the Honda Big Red 3 wheeler I had 30 years ago. It hand-started even after I had flipped it upside down in a river.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

My friend has an old Honda 300 that has a compression release on it. I don't understand why the newer and bigger engines don't have this if they are equipped with a pull starter. I at one time had a Kawasaki 400 and it had a kick starter for a back up.

I gave my Grizzly 700 the stink-eye (before buying it) because it didn't have a rope to pull. Since then, I understand.

Sams club (and lotsa other places) can sell you a unit that weighs about 10-12 pounds, and not only can you jump start a car (or ATV) from it, but it also has a built-in tire inflator. That'll work for ya.

I have a couple of Grizzlies and I hunt with a friend who also has one. I got some medium gauge wire and some large alligator clips and made a set of emergency jumper cables that are light weight enough to roll into a circle and carry on my machine to jump start between two machines if needed. I'm sorry I don't know the gauge of the wire but it has to be big enough to carry the amps needed to jump start the machine. I in fact had a stator fail on my 2007 Grizzly 700 during moose season and I jump started it but since I was 13 miles off road I ran out of battery power and still needed to be pulled back to the road. These fuel injected machines require battery power to run unlike the carbureted ones.

I have pull started my 700 cat many times. I have an odd problem with it right now. I installed a battery extender and though it turns over great and the fuel pump kicks in fine it won't fire. I am thinking that my coil might not be getting juice. The "volt" error also displays on the gauge pod though it clearly has juice since the starter is cranking fine. I can smell fuel so it is almost certainly flooded.

My Honda Rubicon (500) starts on a dime usually, but if the temp outside falls much below zero, I often have to resort to pull starting it. I have experienced the occasional arm jerk, but usually one or two pulls and it fires.

Does Polaris have a compression release? I can pull start the 500 or 800 while sitting on it.

I don't know what Polaris does differently. I can pull start my 500 Sportsman with very little effort. No compression release required. Even my old King Quad 300 is nearly impossible to pull start without using the compression release. Sorry, I have no idea if Honda's have a compression release on them.

You might have an auto compression release
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1