Thread: Good places to anchor

Default Good places to anchor

I need ideas on good places to anchor from aliak bay area to chenega bay area. Also Resurrection bay. Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    I need ideas on good places to anchor from aliak bay area to chenega bay area. Also Resurrection bay. Thanks
    A good place to anchor from is the front of the boat....but seriously, good places to anchor for the purpose of camping? fishing? hunting? kayaking? What are you really looking for?

overnighting on fishing trips

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Roger that. The options are almost limitless!! Most often the wind/seas will be coming from the southeast so the best advice I can give is to look at your charts and find coves that will protect you from SSE winds.

You need this book if you will be cruising PWS:http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...3mpnsi4s5es5t2

The cruising guide is like the ''mile post'' of PWS. There are several decent anchorages in the southern sound that are referenced.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have found the guide to be very accurate as to the condition I find in a bay I consider dropping an anchore in. Pay particular attention to the cautions you find in the guide, especially what will happen during high winds from certain directions. Remember, the ultimate decision whether or not to use any anchorage is yours.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    There are lots of great anchorages in Aialik Bay and it's still one of my favorite areas. Half the fun is exploring and finding them. I will say, however, that the best ones are on the east side of the bay. Paradise Cove is really nice but has no beach nor do any in Three Hole Bay. Bear Cove has a nice beach as do the rest south of there. There are only two on the west side (McMullen Cove and another unnamed one one near the mouth of the bay (opposite of Crater Bay at the head of Dora Passage)) that offer any decent protection from the Gulf swells which predominately come from the southeast. They are both small and there is only room for one boat.

Resurrection Bay has a few and same rules apply. Sunny Cove is my favorite but it can be a real ***** to get a good set. Worse are the high hills that make a GPS anchor alarm sometimes ineffective. I always wanted to anchor in Mary's Bay but never felt good about it on the days I was there.

To which Chenega Bay are you referring?

Have fun.

The link that Pete, spoiled one, referenced below also shows the book I use for a reference for boating the Kenia Peninsula outer coast:
    Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords by David Miller. The book covers Kenai Fjords seacoast stretching from Port Bainbridge to Port Dick. It is not as detailed about anchorages as the Lethcoes' guide to PWS. But there is a lot of valuable information in the book.

Doug

I like Coleman Bay if you are willing to really go into Aialik. And the area is open to shrimping although I have never done well there like I have in PWS. But, I didn't have never had any trouble getting enough to help out with dinner in shallow water downhill from the sill. There are a number of areas to explore in the upper bay; that is for sure. Three Hole bay is very secure and nice too, but the spots to get out and stretch the legs are limited. I alway worry about getting back around the cape when there is potential for an unsettled weather pattern. And that takes some of the fun out of it for sure. However, in high pressure it is fine - especially at slack tide. When I get a good weather pattern, I don't lose sleep over going over there.

While you didn't mention it, Day Harbor (the other way) is very neat and worth exploring. It has a couple really secure anchorages with nice beaches, good views, and decent beaches to wander around on. I personally like Bowen Anchorage, but Anchor Cove/Bay is really nice also. There are others as well that look inviting that I have never set the hook down into.

Either of these bays are way more secluded than in Ressurection and offer fine choices. And the book by Miller is a fine reference for sure. Happy boating

Resurrecting an old thread. We'll be boating out of Resurrection Bay and over to Aialik Bay, spending several nights on the hook. I intend to get the Kenai Fjords book by David Miller but was wondering if there are any other guides for Resurrection/Kenai Fjords.