Thread: Open water on Upper Kenai?

Default Open water on Upper Kenai?

I checked the DOT webcam at Sportsman's Landing and it appears there is a nice layer of ice covering the Kenai. Has anyone driven through there recently? Is there open water at the bridge or anywhere else? I don't know what it is but I've got the itch to fish and not on hard water.

Yes there is open water at the bridge.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Open water at the bridge and down past Princess. Sportsman's down was locked up.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Fished below bridge between cooper creek and the old post office. Found trout and a few dollies were ever there were silvers still hanging out. Caught a grayling below the post office. He must have been flushed out of crescent/quartz creek in the fall deluges. Seems like I catch at least one of them a year in the Kenai but not usually in February. Most of the fish hit a white squidro but that was about all I offered them. Water is still very dirty from that last glacial dump so small stuff, (beads, nymphs), was not getting much attention like it should.

Great info Troutguy! I was going to head down there this weekend, but am second guessing that idea after the recent rainfall and freeze.