Thread: Rifle will not 160 accubonds

Default Rifle will not 160 accubonds

I had a 280AI built last year. I have been tring to get 160 accubonds to shoot of of this rifle and they will not shot. I have tried different COAL 4 different powders two different primers. Just for giggles I tried 160 game kings and they shot great. The biggest group at just over a inch and he smallest at a half an inch. The best group I could get with the accubonds was two inches. Im just about to give up on the accubonds unless someone can give me some ideas.

I'd surely give up on them in that rifle, but not overall. Some guns like a particular bullet and some don't. I have a couple of 284's- one hates that bullet and the other loves it. All three of my 7x57's are fine with it, but no better than plain old Hornady's. My 7 mag likes it so much I might move to it when my stock of 160 partitions runs down. You'll probably find the same kind of spread in rifle tastes, no matter the caliber and brand.

I would call it quits also, evidently your rifle does not like them. Make a switch to Partition's or Scirroco's and give them a go, I have yet to own a rifle that will not shoot handloaded Partitions accurately, though some will say otherwise.

try partitions... if this is going to be a sheep/moose rifle I would try some hornady interlocks or some good ol speer hot-cors.

I had just the opposite problem. I wanted to shoot 140gr Accubonds in my custom built 280 AI (Rem Titanium, Lilja number 1 barrel 1-9" twist) but I could only get the 160gr Accubonds to shoot well (58.8grs RL22 Win LR primer, Win nickle brass, 3.450" OAL).

I have switched now to the Hornady Interbonds and they are shooting these well. They are a great bonded bullet (as good as Noslers as far as I am concerned), and they build one in .284 caliber in the 139gr and 154gr (.530 BC) that should do everything you wanted that 160gr Accubond to do.

Im not sure why it wont shot them. The only thing I can come up with is that they are to long. I when I get a rifle I usually make loads for cheaper bullets(which in this case is the sierra game king. I will also make a load for a premimun bullet which I really wanted to shot the 160 accubond. I have a half box of 150 TTSX so I will try that next.

I hear that is the "thing" with Accubonds - they are great when they shoot good, which is "most" of the time and terrible once in a while - "I" say give up on 'em ! there are plenty of other good bullets - ("IF" you put any credence in "paper calculations" a 150 Swift Scirocco plots out with higher energy at 500 yds than a 160 AB at numerous MV's - I've been working up loads for a new 7mm mag and I had the same experience with the 160's, 150's shoot awesome though) and don't ignore the E-tip which one of the ballistic engineers at Nosler tells me they all are very excited about as possibly "the best bullet Nosler has ever created" (his words)

I don't believe that the 160gr Accubond is to long for the 7mm rifles. Running a twist rate calculation based on weight, velocity and bullet length suggests that any twist faster than 1:11 is adequate with that bullet.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

A quick scan of production 7mm rifles from Ruger, Winchester, Remington and McMillan ranging from 7mm-08 to 7mmRUM offer twist rates between 1:10 and 1:9.25. I assume your twist rate is in that range too.

Pick a powder that gives a nearly full case fill at a velocity that pleases you. Don't try to break speed records. Try the Accubond at .100 off the lands and adjust .020 longer/closer until a good group shows up. Nearly all of the Accubond loads I've finished have shot better with jump. They include the .243, 7mm-08, 7mmRM, .308, 30-06, 300WM, 338WM, 375 Ruger. The 300WM had a ridiculous huge jump and the 338WM was only .025 off the lands. The rest settled in around .100 off +/- .050

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    "IF" you put any credence in "paper calculations" a 150 Swift Scirocco plots out with higher energy at 500 yds than a 160 AB at numerous MV's - I've been working up loads for a new 7mm mag and I had the same experience with the 160's, 150's shoot awesome though) and don't ignore the E-tip which one of the ballistic engineers at Nosler tells me they all are very excited about as possibly "the best bullet Nosler has ever created" (his words)
    I found this interesting so I ran it. Based on the max published velocities on Hodgdon's load data web site I found a different answer. I used Hodgdon's data because they actually used both bullets in your example. The 150 is shot at 2932fps and the 160 is shot at 2849fps but the 160 has 30ft lbs more energy remaining at 500 yards and the 160 retained 72% of it's original velocity compared to 71% of the 150's.

Paper data is useful for comparisons when selecting a design but choices are often made by a reloaders personal preference or accuracy results.

As mentioned by Back Country the E-Tip is a good bullet. I've started working on E-Tip loads with my personal rifles due to the excellent results I've had with them on paper and flesh.

I forgot to mention that it has a 1:9 twist. It should shot 160ies fine but it has not shot accubonds worth a crap. This weekend I'm going to 150 TTSX. The load data that I have puts them around 2850 or so. That is plenty fast for what I need in this rifle.

marshall - I don't really know the 280AI all that well but as the velocities climb from your calcs the 150 starts looking better although there is not a pinch of kaka's difference in those comparisons that the target will notice - I was using my 7mm Rem Mag figures plus the fact that my Tikka T3 superlight doesn't like the 160 AB's at all either - for "practical" ranges a 160 Grand Slam might give markedly different findings, or a 160 PT, or a 160 ?? I find myself getting entranced and on a mission when a rifle won't shoot what I think it should shoot, chasing ones' tail can be interesting OR frustrating ..... the most dramatic elk kill I ever experienced was from a 7mm 175 PT flying at an easy pace, I had been struggling to get that last bit of velocity AND accuracy and finally threw up my hands and used one of the first loads I'd tried that happened to be a one holer (have no idea what MV was but not near the potential) but it sure as heck killed that 4 pt bull DRT at 300 or so - most of the factory 7mm's will be a 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist rate - good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I had a 280AI built last year. I have been tring to get 160 accubonds to shoot of of this rifle and they will not shot. I have tried different COAL 4 different powders two different primers. Just for giggles I tried 160 game kings and they shot great. The biggest group at just over a inch and he smallest at a half an inch. The best group I could get with the accubonds was two inches. Im just about to give up on the accubonds unless someone can give me some ideas.
    What brand - twist barrel did you use ?? Bubba
    BIG BULLETS 525 gr VERY DEAD BEARS - 45-70 is the HAMMER OF THOR !