Thread: Ranger 6X6 or 4X4?

Default Ranger 6X6 or 4X4?

Can't make up my mind, looking for opinions from both camps. I've been riding Can-Am Max's for a while, looking to slow down a little, go to far flung destinations, hunt and haul camps with the family and friends. I've seen the 6X6 in places I did not think anything but an Argo or Mud-Ox could go, but I've heard of some issues with it as well. The 4X4 fits in the back of a full size truck and I already have 4 good after market tires. Which would you pick if you could have either and why/why not?

Keeping in mind exactly what you have asked, the 6x6 is the rig to go with. If your looking at a new machine, the 2 are essentially the same with the exception of the additional axle. The 6x will haul a larger payload, cross mudholes the 4x won't and imo rides better. I drove/rode in both before making my decision and it became a no brainer. I was opposed to the addition of the toolbox in front of the bed but have found it to be one of the best additions. Shortly after purchasing my 6x I had to load up a broken wheeler and haul it out 26 miles. You wouldn't do that with a 4x model.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 02-07-2012 at 21:34. Reason: sp

I have a 2010 Ranger 6X6 and have had NO problems. With that said, if I were you I'd go with the 4X Ranger then you won't be out in "MY" far-flung destinations

The only thing I don't like right now about the 6x6 is I can't haul it and my travel trailer, well, that and I need a new trailer just to haul the 6x6.

Yep, that is a tough one. What you do is get a nice 27 foot enlcosed trailer and turn it into your new travel trailer. Install bunks, heater, cabinets, etc. If you're considering this option just remember that even though alot of enclosed trailers advertise 78" interior height, most of their rear door openings are only 5 foot or maybe 6 foot which the Rangers will not drive through. You need an enclosed trailer with a 76" + opening.

I've had my 6x6 since 2003 and while I like 4x4 ranger for some things like what has been mentioned above... You really can't beat the 6x6.
    Tony