Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock up everything at Lost Lake trailhead

Default Lock up everything at Lost Lake trailhead

Last weekend after a great day of riding we returned to find certain items missing from the cab of the truck. My friend feels pretty certain that he locked the doors but that is beside the point. Some jerks who made the trip all the way down Snug Harbor road felt they were more entitled to a jug of 2 stroke oil, 3 cans of chew and the 20 I pitched in for gas, than us. Obviously it must have been sledders or why take the oil? I once had my freaking trailer light assembley taken while out riding from Primrose and another time the rubber gasket on my rear window had been pried open and damaged. It's kind of hard to imagine that in Alaska we have to deal with morons like this, maybe meth-heads ride too. That must be the only downfall of having an ETEC since we were the first to leave the parking lot and the last to return. With a quarter tank of gas I might add.

Anyway, just a heads up that there are some sleazebags around here so be sure to lock up everything, including sled covers and tiedown bars. I suggest don't leave your wallet behind either.

Mostly I just needed to vent.
    If anything is going to happen, it'll happen out there.

Venting understood. There's lots of threads like this every winter, unfortunately. Thieves suck. Just once I'd love to read a "Caught a thief" in the act thread and find that the thief was arrested and put in jail for a long time. Unfortunately the Alaska judicial system is very lenient on property crimes.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

maybe meth-heads ride too.
    That actually is the unfortunate truth There are a ton of druggies and lowlifes that ride. Add that to the kids who's dad's pay for everything for them, but don't teach them any ethics, and you get an element of crime at every trailhead in the state.

i have had vehicles broken into from glennallen to cantwell, but what they stole pales in comparison to what people in suits have stolen from me.

differance being the ones in the suits usually have the law behind them, and the goons don't. I think these trailheads need be patroled or watched atleast during the busier weekends by those that freqent them thats the only way this is going to stop
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Only been stolen from onc over the years... now i just leave the truck unlocked, with as little as possible in it... i would rather they get in and clean out the change cup, then break the windows, so i don't have to freeze all the way home again.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

sorry iron thats not been my experience. or do we need to rehash all the recent arrests of officials or the ones that got away. i have witnessed the murks. cut a lock off my building and go inside, i ran them out with words they wont forget.

if you got a buncha stuff in there for them to steal, its to much temptation for the crackheads to resist. i drive a junker with nothing in it too. i fear they might set it on fire when im gone or steal my battery or the tires and wheels. thats about it. only a pure fool would leave cash on a dash.
    Semper Fi!

I had to build a new ramp this year because my last one was stolen years ago. I made it to put my sled in the back of the truck and then I would lay it on the ground and park on it so it wouldn't get stolen. Some turd actully jacked my truck up and took the ramp. I wouldn't have even minded if they'd just jacked my truck up, used it, and put it back. But, no, they had to take it. Pretty ballsy considering they did it in a parking lot with 20 other trucks in broad daylight.

How bout a #4 under your seat for vermin
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Now, that's funny A little 120 connibear under each seat would snap their fingers good, probably break them. Maybe a few 330's in the bed of the truck with snow over them.

****, that was my trick. I never even thought about someone jacking up the truck to get at it. Some people's children.......

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I had to build a new ramp this year because my last one was stolen years ago. I made it to put my sled in the back of the truck and then I would lay it on the ground and park on it so it wouldn't get stolen. Some turd actully jacked my truck up and took the ramp. I wouldn't have even minded if they'd just jacked my truck up, used it, and put it back. But, no, they had to take it. Pretty ballsy considering they did it in a parking lot with 20 other trucks in broad daylight.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Now with my connibear idea people better watch out. I'm going to set a 330 at each end of that ramp, right where you grab it if you are going to steal it. Then park my truck on top of the whole thing

Maybe I'll just wire a couple grenades to the ramp.. be Hell on the truck, but word would get around quick

hey now dont be a buncha dummies.

what you need to do is hide a tracking device in something in your truck they would want to steal. like maybe a rifle stock, then when they steal it lead the troopers right to their doorstep and they get a felony and cannot own a firearm again.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    hey now dont be a buncha dummies.

what you need to do is hide a tracking device in something in your truck they would want to steal. like maybe a rifle stock, then when they steal it lead the troopers right to their doorstep and they get a felony and cannot own a firearm again.
    This is the best idea I have heard of. Any idea on how much one would cost and how you would be able to track it?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Unbelievable... don't they know everyone is armed? Oh yeah.... forgot... they've got some wires crossed upstairs, obviously.

I'll add to it. I think 2007 or 2008 I parked at Firemans trail and headed up to the cabin for the weekend. When I got back two 5 gallons jugs of gas were gone, a large Otter sled, hitch, and my gas was siphoned to empty. Luckily I had enough to get to Seward and fill up.

Part of the problem is that they can hear you coming down the trail in plenty of time to act like they are minding their own business or get out of Dodge. Maybe a trail cam, if you could set it up where they won't take it too. And conibears, so you can film the carnage for youtube.

In some countries they cut thieves hands off. Vermin!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    This is the best idea I have heard of. Any idea on how much one would cost and how you would be able to track it?
    Find my iphone is an app that allows you to locate your cell from any pc. If anyone wants to part with an iphone to secure an arrest, I'm sure they would take it if it were on the dashboard. Tough call but perhaps you could lock up a cheap iphones service so they couldn't run up a mega bill before you got it back.

Quote Originally Posted by mmusashi2k View Post
    Find my iphone is an app that allows you to locate your cell from any pc. If anyone wants to part with an iphone to secure an arrest, I'm sure they would take it if it were on the dashboard. Tough call but perhaps you could lock up a cheap iphones service so they couldn't run up a mega bill before you got it back.
    That is some expensive bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast