Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanicals vs broad heads for black bear

Default Mechanicals vs broad heads for black bear

I plan on doing some baiting for black bear this spring, Can anyone give me some advice for mechanicals vs broadheads ? Weight, type etc.. any recommendations would be appreciated. I shoot a PSE set at 65# shooting carbon arrows. thanks in advance..

Will this topic you will get all sorts of opions for each pos and neg. Best thing I can tell you is to try each one out and find what works for you. Also The one BH you have the most faith in.

My two cents is this I love BH instead of MH. I just don't have enough faith in the MH like I do in the BH. Yes It takes me alittle time to fine tune my BH to my arrows, but it's worth it. I use to shoot the muzzy 100, now I shoot the rockets ulitmate 100. A smaller broad head. This BH was very easy for me to fine tune.

Also MH you can not use on all big game up here in Alaska. So this is another reason I went with the BH.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

two words: slick trix

Anything made by Magnus. They fly spot on with field tips and are stronger and mor reliable than Mechs. plus Magnus has a lifetime warranty.

I use two broadheads:Muzzy 100 or NAP Spitfire 100. Where it is legal I use the Spitfires. They are deadly! Never had one fail or break. The wound they leave is massive. I wish they would allow these for all game but that is a different thread.
    When the regs call for it I call on the Muzzys. Once again, no failures or breaks.
    But like stated in the previous posts try them all and use the ones that work for you.

Bears = big ribs to shoot through. Also, over bait is going to be a pretty short range proposition.

My advice: Heavy arrows with stout cut on impact heads. I like the Zwickey or Magnus, but there are several models that come out of the box sharp enough to hunt with that are built like tanks also.

Just gives you a tad of insurance when you have to cut ribs or an errent shot nicks the sholder bone. I like having holes on both sides.

actually i disagree about the bears having big ribs. they really don't have big ribs.
    that said i'm a big fan of cut on impact. my best advice is whatever broadhead you use let the bear get broadside and shoot.to increase odds of hitting both lungs. if you hit both lungs with a sharp broadhead he should not go more than 80 yards. as far as weight of broadhead shoot the same wt. as your field tips.
    any of the 3 styles will do the job,(esp with a 65# bow) sharpness and shot placement are most important. A friend shot a black bear with 4 blade muzzy out of 53# recurve the bear went 13 paces and was dead in < 1 minute.

one other point. bears vitals are more forward don't shoot too far back , there is not much for vitals behind back edge of front leg.
    good luck -pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

If you are hunting over bait,I would personally shoot fixed heads over mechanical.As it was stated earlier,it's a short distance you will be shooting so the mechanicals may not open exactly right.I shoot the G5 Montec's for fixed blades and the G5 Tekan II's for mechanicals.Both fly exactly like my field tips and both are very good.I would but a couple different types and just shoot them too see what flys the best for you and your set-up.I would personally recommend 100 grain heads for your set-up,125gr may be a little to front heavy at 65 lbs and carbon arrows.Any big name company sells quality stuff,G5,Magnus,Muzzy, it's all about your set-up and what you prefer.Everyone likes different stuff,it wouldnt be any fun if everyone had the exact same stuff.Good luck in your choice-Tim

Default Fixed

I will always opt for fixed blades instead of mechanicals. The more things that can possibly go wrong usually will. The lack of any moving parts simplifies things tremendously. Ribs are not a problem, the scapula can be. An expandable with a huge blade width upon opening is less likely to go through.

I changed this year to a three-blade 150 grain Snuffer with a combined total arrow weight of 620 grains. With 70 pounds of weight I think it will do. The heavy arrows only drop 3" more at 30 yards than my caribou arrow (450 grains and Slick Tricks)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Mechanicals will open fine. Work fine. Kill just fine. They probably do a better job then fixed. Use to test them on cow, pig and deer carcasses. In the beginning mechs were questionable, but in the last 10 years they have come a long way. They will do the job. No there are some shady mechs out there (same goes for fixed). Stick with a major company.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The lack of any moving parts simplifies things tremendously.
    Amen, brother. I use fixed and always will for this very reason.

-Brian

Thumbs up Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Amen, brother. I use fixed and always will for this very reason.

-Brian
    Right on Brian....

For what its worth, I have killed a lot of animals with a bow and arrow over the years and the only 3 animals I have ever lost were all 3 shot with a Mech broadhead (black bear,caribou, deer). I will never again shoot a mech broadhead so long as I bow hunt. All 3 animals were hit perfectly, heck 2 of them were on video so we could see over and over that the shot was good. Thats a lesson enough for me. Used to luv Innerlocs but now Magnus Stingers is all I shoot anymore.

Default Fixed Blades

I can't begin to tell you the trouble I have had with mechanical heads. I've had blades break off, little penatration, and poor flight. I have sworn by the muzzys but now after using the Magnus Stingers I can't bring myseft to buy anything other than them.

Ok, shoot what shoots good for you. Both will kill if hit in the boiler room. I don't care if you are shooting field points if you hit the boiler room they are dead. Blood may not be very good. But they are still dead. I have shot both, killed with both. I have even shot 1 animal with my practice expandable, don't know how it got into my quiver but it did. The blades were tied so they wouldn't open. Complete pass through animal went 10 yards. Basically a field point. Shoot what you like and shoots well for you.

Default amen

well i have to agree with someone and it is definately the last guy. If you shoot an animal in the vitals that critter is going down. period. if you miss and hit the liver, spleen, guts. you beter learn how to track and i dont mean blood trail track i mean track. Big difference. Black bears if hit in the vitals will not run far 30 yards max. they dont rely on adrenaline like deer to keep them running. They dont have big ribs. they are probalby the fastest to die. For those of you who havent used MH.s and speak agianst them how can you be acurate with your opinion? I have used them all. with traditional gear i use a magnus. with my mathews i use spitfires. Awesome.. I killed a 325# canadian black bear at 18 yards over bait with a spitfire pass through shot with 53 pound draw weight and it ran 25 yards rolled around and gave a death moan. 4 michigan black bear. 4-5 whitetail deer a year with my spitfires. I have lost deer with both MH and FH bottom line shot placement!! i never have had MH fail they have always opened wether it be 5 yard shots or 35 yard shots. take a piece of 3/4 plywood and shoot at it at 20 yards using all types of broadheads and then you be the judge.

Keep in mind that mechanical broadheads were introduced because people didnt know how to tune their bows. The claim to fame of mechanicals has always been that they fly like a field point. Anyone who can argue that a mechanical will penetrate as reliably as a cut on impact is lieing to themselves. If your bow is tuned peoperly a cut on impact broadhead is as lethal as it gets. I have a friend that has done extensive research on broadheads and how they perform. These tests were not done on plywood or steel drums but on stretched out hides and rib cages and shoulder blades real world stuff. The video speaks for itself. The banjo effect (how far the hide stretches) of a mech BH hitting a moose hide in slow mo before it actually punches thru versus the sizziling through that Magnus and Steelforce type heads does is awesome. And then watching a mech BH hitting a moose shoulder blade or rib cage and the mass fragmenting that goes on of bone and changes of direction of the arrow from the impact also speaks for itself. Hey shoot what you want but a cut on impact broadhead being shot from a well tuned bow is as deadly as it gets. For what its worth I have killed animals with both styles and express my opinion from my experience and that of my hunting pards (that which I have seen with my own two eyes).

For S&G the one black bear that I lost was shot with a Spitfire, it was part of the research my buddy was doing and was videoed.The 4 of us did circles for close to 6 hours and never found that bear in the thick stuff. And for those of you that havent stuck black bears with a bow before, yes they do go down in short order with well placed shots but if the bear gets outside of view and you dont hear the moan or a crash their fur plugs holes pretty well making blood trails that get real skinny the farther they get away from you.Some of you may have seen a video called Special Tactics Bowhunting thats was sold in the Fairbanks area bowshops in and around 2001,that was my circle of friends that made it. There was lots of bears killed with a bow, black and griz both, to make up the video for that tape. Many a broadheads was tested, and close to a dozen bears harvested on video.

Default Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Keep in mind that mechanical broadheads were introduced because people didn't know how to tune their bows.
    Amen!!!!!!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default not quite sure

Im not quite sure if mech heads were introduced because people dont know how to tune a broadhead to a shaft. I always thought someone was trying to improve accuarcy standards and wanted a truer in flight killing arrow. But, im probably wrong.dont know for sure. i stand behind shot placement though. For those of you that have proof of your shot via video cam. i ask this question. does the video cover the entrance or the exit? big difference.

If it only covers the entrance how do you know what that arrow went through.was the shooter in a tree, or on the ground? Was the animal dead on at 90 deg. from the shooter? If not the animal was either facing the shooter or away from the shooter.Did the arrow pass through? If the arrow passed through then the arrow on the way out probably pulled some guts or fat which bears have alot of plugging up the hole. making for a poor blood trail.There is alot of variables here to consider.

I have made what i thought were perfect shots.I have lost blood trails. On the animals that i did find without blood i always found the exit wound to be blocked with guts or fat and i have clipped at least one lung. Does that mean that my broadhead is at fault. nope the shooter was. Me.

I swear by learning how to track wounded animals. Because all s#*t can hit the fan when the arrow is released.If you rely on following blood only then your doing the animal a diservice. Circling should be used only as a last resort. when six guys are out trampling over a trail you erase trace evidence neccesary to recover the animal. A better bet is to have the shooter go to shooting position. and one guy do the tracking under the direction of the shooter. find where the animal was at impact and last known sighted position. once you determine a somewhat line of travel then the shooter can join the tracker. Look for scuff marks, brush or grasses laying down in the direction of travel. look for tracks, determine what size of track belongs to your bear and follow that track. Dont be in a hurry.. real easy to do. You should know your area well. know where dense cover is, sphagnum moss etc. Sphagnum moss when wet is a natural blood coaugulant. the bear knows.

Many people are quick to blame their gear for poor shot placement. I find it hard to believe that a perfect shot will result in an uncovered animal. After all it wouldnt be perfect now would it.
    Good mech heads work, they do have limitiations just like all gear. dont rely on broad heads to make up for poor shot placement.IE. shoulder shots. you dont want to hit the shoulder.
    I could ramble on and on and im sure i have ticked off a few. bottom line is practice, shot placement and try what works for you. Frankly i think 100 shots a day isnt enough. thats only ten arrows shot ten times.you should do that three times a day at differnt light conditions in different shooting scenarios.

This is a good topic, but it's like saying is the glass half full or half empty...
    Each person will find a reason the shoot either a BH or MH. I'm a big time archer but can not give you 100% answer which is better.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast