Thread: Homer harbor launch

Default Homer harbor launch

I,m in Kenai and have been calling the Harbor office about ice conditions and weather the launch is open or not. They mentioned that I could launch at the barge launch. Is that the ramp by the fuel dock on the east side? Their words were "launch at your ows risk". That sounds like it's not a good idea.

Anyway, if anyone wouldn't mind responding about the barge ramp or even letting us know when the ice breaks it would get my blood pumping lol. I'm a chomping over winter kings. Must be the cold!

Thx

Charterboat Operator

TYBSP, Yes, that ramp is over by the little fuel dock on the east side of the harbor, just off the stern quarter of the Coast Guard Cutter, should be plowed out. If not, the Harbor master is usually cool with coming over and clearing it for you, I have put my 30 Chris Craft in here before, you should be fine, the only thing different from the big ramp is it dose not have quite the vertical drop, so you may have to back out a little further then normal before you float. Also to save you some trouble drive around by the processing plants and check out the ice in the mouth of the harbor, make sure you can even get out, the last couple days it's been hit and miss but it's WARMING UP all the time now. Good luck

I wouldn't dream of launching my boat right now. Just because you can launch doesn't mean you're going to be able to get your boat out when you come back in.

Feel like spending the night on your boat???
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I was just at the barge launch at 11:30 AM and there is no way I would launch now. It is froze in out past the mouth of the harbor.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/s...view=slideshow

Okay I finally got this to work. I hope! I took some photos of the Homer Harbor today, they are at the end of the slide show, so you can decide for yourself. Not me!

Hehe. Well without a doubt that answers all my questions for this week. Lol.
    This weather we've been having might help some but not anytime soon. I really appreciate the efforts in answering. Kings will wait for now, but I can always tie some hooks.

If you happen to notice some clearing it would be great to hear future updates. Thanks.

We were in Homer the last few days looking for property and there sure was a lot of water flowing down east hill rd. Calm water in the bay and melting ice.
    DANG! I never should have gone down there. My right arm keeps moving forward while driving down the road now.

Btw, season launch fee is around 250 isn't it?

$125 last season
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Was down at Launch today (2-17) and though the main ramp is starting to thaw, the barge ramp is looking good.

barge-ramp.jpgFuel-Dock.jpg

The Harbor entrance and surrounding waters look very clear but I'm not sure if there is an Ice flow accross the bay or not. Anyone know if the ice flow has cleared or could it still blow into the harbor entrance?

Entrance.jpgharbor-entrance.jpg