Thread: Diferent floats

Default Diferent floats

I'm thinkin' of branching out a bit and have several floats in mind. If anyone has done any of these I'd like too know.

1) River conditions
    2) how long it took ya
    3) Did ya see any critters along the way
    4) Camp site availability
    5) Traffic
    6) Potential fishing along the way

The ones I been eye balling for a while include The Tana between Fairbanks and Nenana, and Nenana and Manley hot springs. The Delta river between the Richardson hwy and the Denali hwy. And the Tana from the Alaska hwy to Cathedral rapids. Any other road access floats you guys have enjoyed outside of the valley would also be helpful, like I said trying to do some new floats this summer/ fall.

Thanks ahead of time Rick P

The Tana is a short class IV-V river that flow into the south side of the Chitina, not too far above the confluence with the Copper. It is fly in only, and is sometimes called the Grand Canyon of Alaska. I suspect you mean the Tanana. I don't normally take issue with abreviations, but this time it might make a difference to somebody.

The Delta flows out of Tangle Lakes, and is floated in canoes and rafts from there with one portage around the falls. Otherwise it's class I-II with low water usually suspending the floating season by mid summer. Once it meets up with the Richardson it turns and heads into Black Rapids (Class III-IV). I'm not familiar with it past there, but I don't think there are any more serious rapids.

I like the Little Nelchina to Tazlina float. It's a nice 5 day trip, with a very pretty lake to be be sailed, motored or paddled to get across.

Chulitna River from East Fork (Broad Pass area) to Talkeetna is a nice 4 day trip that can be extended a day to the highway bridge at Sunshine. One class III section at the top near the railroad bridge, but after that it's easy going unless at flood stage.

Sections of Fortymile can be accessed via roads at both ends. You can even put in at the Fortymile Bridge and float out to the Yukon and then back to Eagle. This is a particularly nice float, but the drive is quite long. There are some minor rapids that are a joke unless the water is high. At near flood stage the Canyon (a few miles above Clinton Creek) can be wicked.

Gulkana from Paxon Lake to Sourdough campground, or from there to the highway are both nice 3-4 day floats, but have plenty of traffic.
    Last edited by Jim Strutz; 04-03-2007 at 18:24.

Thanks Jim sorry about the typo

Rick P