Thread: Low time pilot in need of help.

Default Low time pilot in need of help.

Hey guys,
    I'm new here and love it already. Sure wish I would of known there was a bush flying forum a while ago. I have 700 hours TT and 330 Alaska time and 321 of that was a Beaver on floats. SEL/SES inst, commercial, CFI.

I have been a guide for lodges in SW AK for the past five summers where I have obtained some hours flying right seat PIC and a little left seat time in a Beaver. I have been talking to multiple lodges and air taxi operations for the past few weeks for this upcoming summer and it seems like most people are looking for a minimum of 1000tt and prefer 1500.

Thought of maybe getting a CFI job in anchorage or somewhere else, but am afraid I will not get many hours this upcoming summer.

I have heard bethel isn't a great place to live, but I don't care. I just want to fly 6-7 days a week this summer and build up my resume as much as possible? Any names who I should contact towards bethel?

Lastly, I have sent resumes to penair/era/grant/hageland for SIC in the 208 this summer. Looks like I could potentailly have a chance at that slot. I have heard it does not pay much and is 2 on and 2 off. Is this true?

Any tips from the professionals would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks Again!

Lastly, I have sent resumes to penair/era/grant/hageland for SIC in the 208 this summer. Looks like I could potentailly have a chance at that slot. I have heard it does not pay much and is 2 on and 2 off. Is this true?
    Penair has been interviewing lately, and probably will be hiring soon. Expect 20/10 schedules for the summer if you get on. Pay sucks, but you'll get to fly quite a bit.

I come from the same background as yours. When I had a little bit less hours than you have now, I left Alaska and spent two summers pulling banners down in the Lower 48. That got me enough time to get my first Alaska flying job, flying a Beaver in SE Alaska. I was back in the SW lodge business a year after that. I know a few other guides that moved into flying jobs. A few hundred hours of Beaver time and learning the country as a guide can go a long way towards getting a start.

Did you ever consider bush flying in Africa?
    There are some countries like Botswana and Namibia, where a low houred pilot (2-300 TT) can get a flying job and quickly boost the logbook to 1000 hours. There is a guide to everything you always wanted to know about scoring that first pilot job in Namibia or Maun, Botswana. The tips and tricks of scoring that first job in the African bush. There is a Cessna 206 or a Cessna 210 waiting for you as well. Look for the Low Time Pilots Guide to African Bush Flying (http://maunpilot.blogspot.com/2012/0...ican-bush.html)

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverforme View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm new here and love it already. Sure wish I would of known there was a bush flying forum a while ago. I have 700 hours TT and 330 Alaska time and 321 of that was a Beaver on floats. SEL/SES inst, commercial, CFI.

I have been a guide for lodges in SW AK for the past five summers where I have obtained some hours flying right seat PIC and a little left seat time in a Beaver. I have been talking to multiple lodges and air taxi operations for the past few weeks for this upcoming summer and it seems like most people are looking for a minimum of 1000tt and prefer 1500.

Thought of maybe getting a CFI job in anchorage or somewhere else, but am afraid I will not get many hours this upcoming summer.

I have heard bethel isn't a great place to live, but I don't care. I just want to fly 6-7 days a week this summer and build up my resume as much as possible? Any names who I should contact towards bethel?

Any tips from the professionals would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks Again!

what is considered "low time". I will be flying a pitts S2B with 75 hrs tt lol, I may build another 25 or so hours over this next summer in a super cub but im guessing even 100 hrs is still considered low?

Checkout www.flyalaska.com for some possible additional information.

One has to presume that a commercial ticket is required, and perhaps an instrument rating as well. Don't know though . . . . . I can tell you that flying wilderness areas with 100-hours' experiende is something of a fool's move. I don't mean to be rude ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    . . . . . I can tell you that flying wilderness areas with 100-hours' experiende is something of a fool's move. I don't mean to be rude ..........................
    Well, some of us got our ticket, just that way...
    Maybe that's why we'd rather fly the wilderness than in a busy airspace any day.

What is "right seat PIC" time?

Me too, as most of us old timers probably did. But I think rrpearso is talkig about a paying job on the Dark Continent. May be wrong about that though . . .

"Right Seat Pilot in Command" Typically an instructors position,

That's what I would have thought too, but he said he got it flying for a lodge.

It may be that the airlines consider a First Officer's stick time as PIC, but that's surely not what the right seat confers when flying the Alaska outback. The right seat can fly the airplane, but it still doesn't belong to the PIC. Instructors are PIC, but not the gear jerkers. As usual, I could be wrong . . . . .

If you have to ask as a pilot what is low time where bush flying is concerned, you are low time. Not meaning to be rude, just honest.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrouch View Post
    If you have to ask as a pilot what is low time where bush flying is concerned, you are low time. Not meaning to be rude, just honest.
    It has always seemed to me that 1-hour of honest-to-God bush flying (along with the required landing and subsequent takeoff) is worth about 50-hours of city-to-city flying ..........................

Back when I obtained my CFI rating, (taught by a lady who flew with and for Howard Hughes) I had an retired Navy instructor pilot as my examiner. (outside of Alaska) He proudly exclaimed that my couple thousand hours of bush flying at the time meant nothing to him, since as far as he was concerned everything we did in Alaska was more outlaw than above board. Of course he had never been here and had never flown a tail-wheel aircraft. What an a$%^!
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Back when I obtained my CFI rating, (taught by a lady who flew with and for Howard Hughes) I had an retired Navy instructor pilot as my examiner. (outside of Alaska) He proudly exclaimed that my couple thousand hours of bush flying at the time meant nothing to him, since as far as he was concerned everything we did in Alaska was more outlaw than above board. Of course he had never been here and had never flown a tail-wheel aircraft. What an a$%^!
    There may have been a grain of truth in what that instructor said. Still, we surely did learn to fly airplanes !!!!!