Thread: Winter Kings

Default Winter Kings

$32.99 a lb at Pikes Public Market in Seattle...ouch
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW. I am glad I catch my own.

Those elusive 'winter-run' kings...guess there is a premium on their scarcity...

Winter kings go to the fresh market. Summer fish fetched us $4.25 last summer that mostly to the frozen market. Price is $8.00 a pound right now till the fresh market gets flooded usually around mid april and the price drops like a rock overnight.

Default 270

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Winter kings go to the fresh market. Summer fish fetched us $4.25 last summer that mostly to the frozen market. Price is $8.00 a pound right now till the fresh market gets flooded usually around mid april and the price drops like a rock overnight.
    Just wondering do you guys hand troll through the winter? Thanks

A lot of guys power troll in the winters.. a few guys hand troll. If I had a boat with a cabin I'd troll more during the winter. It's a grind in the winter fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    $32.99 a lb at Pikes Public Market in Seattle...ouch
    You pay that much because it takes time and money catch them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

WHAT? MUTT "You pay that much because it takes time and money catch them." I won't pay that for any fish, unless it is fed to me by very nice young (over 18 under 40) ladies

Actually, "they" pay that much because presumably it's flown fresh into a high-price market - Seattle. There's the $25 markup over what the fisherman is getting for his catch.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

$32.99 isn't really that bad for a pound of fresh winter king, considering what you get. A large pizza amply topped with soft drinks these days costs me just as much. The winter king doesn't make me fat, and tastes 10x better, in my opinion.