Thread: Hope rd hunting

Default Hope rd hunting

Im new to Alaska and have read a bunch of bear hunting post on this site and i see Hope rd in unit 7 mentioned alot. Is this a actual road that i can drive my pickup on, pull over and set up camp on the side of the road and hunt in the area? What is the terrain like? People say there are lots of black bear in this area? Thanks.

Yes, it's an actual road and there are plenty of pullouts...but, in my opinion it is not a good spot for spot-and-stalk black bear hunting. You'd be far better off focusing your efforts on the Seward Highway from the Hope Road junction down to Moose Pass. The hiking and the spotting are far better in that area, as you're much closer to treeline and out of the thick timber/deadfall.

Thanks i have driven to seward from ER and remember moose pass. I will give it a shot... thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by jcav.444 View Post
    Thanks i have driven to seward from ER and remember moose pass. I will give it a shot... thanks again
    If you want to get an idea of what a road looks like without going there, you can always use Google Earth. Once you zoom in on the road, you can use the "street view" feature and it will give you still images all around that spot anywhere you want on the road. It should give you a good perspective of what the conditions are like.

Thats my plan for both spring and fall I fugue spring will be a lot of spotting and not so much stalking but Just getting out will be nice. I would listen to Brian the man seems to know his stuff.

brian is right there are bears down there for spot and stalk and beautiful country. Just before moose pass allways see bears on both side of the highway but they have been really high and seen lots of sows with cubs so that could always be good. The wife likes to drive that road cause see even spots the bears and loves watching the cubs run around.

Take a right at the Y and go thru Cooper Landing and over the Kenai River Bridge at the end of Kenai Lake. Take a right on Snug Harbor Rd. It goes back to Cooper Lake. Lots of bears on the hillsides. Course that means lots of climbing so make sure you are in shape. Glass the hills and you will see the bears. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Take a right at the Y and go thru Cooper Landing and over the Kenai River Bridge at the end of Kenai Lake. Take a right on Snug Harbor Rd. It goes back to Cooper Lake. Lots of bears on the hillsides. Course that means lots of climbing so make sure you are in shape. Glass the hills and you will see the bears. Good luck

ERR, That would be a left on Snug Harbor there polaris..... yes lots of bears, road wont be open to the lake due to snow till well into late may/june

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ERR, That would be a left on Snug Harbor there polaris..... yes lots of bears, road wont be open to the lake due to snow till well into late may/june
    with the amount of snow this year it may be later.Lot of hunting pressure there and I have also found illegal bait stands there as well so be careful if you hunt there but there are bear there.