Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska group will lure moose off roads with feeding stations

Default Alaska group will lure moose off roads with feeding stations

State wildlife officials say they have issued a permit to the Alaska Moose Federation that allows the group to feed wild moose in southcentral Alaska.

The Department of Fish and Game on Monday announced the federation will put up feeding stations to divert moose from roads in game units covering most of Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula and the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.
    Heavy snow is the reason.
    Moose seek out plowed roads, railroad tracks and driveways in heavy snow years and that leads to crashes with cars and trains.
    Wildlife officials say it will remain a violation for people to feed moose if they don't have a permit.

http://www.adn.com/2012/02/06/230326...#storylink=cpy

can you belive this? seems wrong, guess we know where to go lookin for a moose now.
    Semper Fi!

I'm curious what they plan on feeding them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    I'm curious what they plan on feeding them?
    i hear it is homeless people.
    Semper Fi!

Ground up roadkill
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

My gut feeling is that this is just wrong and will lead to more dead moose. I remember something similar happening down in Washington when I was young, feeding the deer. They tried alfalfa pellets and ended up killing more deer then they saved, something about not getting enough water to digest. Will Fish and Game have to make new hunting regulations to cordon off the feeding areas to keep them from becoming "bait stations"? I applaud the effort to save moose, but don't think this is the way to do it.

Just a new tactic for keeping the donation & grant spigots open.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

how about man gets off their high horse and stops trying to play god. wake up people!!!!
    Semper Fi!

If they want to feed them more roadkill, I have a moose calf that is 10 feet off KGB at mile 5 and all the state did was put a piece of surveying tape on it's head. Maybe that was to stop snow machiners from running into it.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

So, and not to single anyone out, what is the objection to feeding the moose, and luring them off of the roads?

It seems like a desirable Goal, and surely, we know what moose eat.

Should the moose just be left alone, because wildlife shouldn't be interfered with?

Should special hunting permits be allowed?

Is it simply a waste of resources?

is there a BETTER way?

Should we reduce the number of Moose? (Actually, that is already occuring, but at great cost to vehicles and folks that hit them on the roadways.)

Didn't the Ak RR chop some trees down, a few years ago, so the moose would have the treetops to eat, so they wouldn't starve to death? Or, wander into the path of the choo-choo trains?

Just tryin to get a handle on the outrage, over something like this.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Good questions Smitty. In fact, to keep them out of my yard I'm walking down the street and gonna cut down some borough trees. I look at it this way, we usually lose trees to high winds every year but this year. So I'm just keeping Mother Nature consistant. Two birds with one stone.
    Heck, I'm not feeding the critters, just helping them have access like I do with Dipnetters, LOL
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I will knock down a couple birches back in the woods to help them out. Not the first time we have done this.
    Not seeing why one would object to helping them out, even if it is hay that is leading them away from the road system. Maybe it wonít save a moose in the long run but it MIGHT save someoneís life cause they arenít standing in the road after dark.
    Seems like a good idea to get them off the road and TRY to save them as well. I for one appreciate the effort to save a couple moose.
    BK

BK, go over to my property and take a few out by the lower culdesac. Already have told you you can cut anything you want there and thanks for helping

Iíll go farther in the woods, thatís too close to the house to have a stressed out moose with my kid running around the back yard.
    Iíll knock down a bunch farther out back off the road a bit and also when Iím out at the cabin.
    Appreciate it though Whop.

Man on the scene, good call.

It would be better to stop plowing the roads which make a easy place for moose to walk.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    BK, go over to my property and take a few out by the lower culdesac. Already have told you you can cut anything you want there and thanks for helping

ill go take the logs and leave the branches for the moose.
    Semper Fi!

Gosh golly, only last winter AMF folks were on here asking for donations for gas so they could run their snowcats, and now they are raking in the bucks hand over fist from the legislature and private donations. One does wonder where all the money is going.

Post #6 nailed it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Post #6 nailed it.
    so Did Prop 88....

just curious...

are ANY ORGS out side your AkBHA... doing any good, for anybody? anywhere? in the state? please list them... so we can get them involved with some good stuff.

you know sometimes things are done just to make people feel good for trying... I may not agree, as i recall the 90's also...

However a lot has been learned about the digestive system... and if making trails and putting something digestable out there saves a human life or two... well Gosh golly... some of them town folks, will be over joyed... and not give a ratsass how much it cost them..

One does wonder where all the money is going.
    speaking of... when do your statements come out for AKBHA?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

just curious...

are ANY ORGS out side your AkBHA... doing any good, for anybody? anywhere? in the state? please list them... so we can get them involved with some good stuff. .......
    Google is your friend if you are seeking 'orgs' that provide certain services, but it might be a good idea to narrow the search terms somewhat. 'Any' pulls up a lot of hits.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Google is your friend if you are seeking 'orgs' that provide certain services, but it might be a good idea to narrow the search terms somewhat. 'Any' pulls up a lot of hits.
    sorry Google does not list," Bushrat approved orgs"... I tried
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast