Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clueless but excited!!

Default Clueless but excited!!

Hello from SE Virginia. I have reservations to be in Alaska for 10 days is July doing the RV thing both north and south of Anchorage. My family does a lot of fishing both fresh and salt from small ponds to Atlantic Big Game but I have no idea what to bring with us to Alaska. Not sure if we will do any guided boat trips but will most definitely try our luck from the shore or wading. Will limit our attempt to spinning gear. Would love some suggestions regarding general line size, weight of lures typically used, rod length etc… Thanks in advance

I tried the search feature but I was unable to find the info I need.

2 things I'd have in my arsenal if you are going to do a road trip in Alaska
    The Highway Angler
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...?products_id=3
    The milepost
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...post&x=45&y=12

Both can be bought here on the forum book store
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Forgot to add make sure you buy The Northern Lights Coupon Book $50
    http://alaska-discounts.com/
    Worth every penny............

Hard to beat the Highway Angler for info.

The only other thing I would add is make sure you pick up an Alaska Department of Fish and Game regulation book. Many, many regulations in the State and believe me you don't want to be the guy using a treble hook in single hook water, or fishing on a Monday when it's a weekend only fishery, etc. etc.

Pound for pound many of your saltwater species down there are faster and stronger than salmon, but you don't have to contend with the currents there that you'll find in a lot of rivers up here. And you probably don't fish in places where your neighbors on either side are half a rod length away, and there's no letting a fish run and "interrupting" their precious fishing rights on either side of you. Yard that fish in and don't let it pull any line off the reel!

All together it's pretty close to a wash in terms of gear you use there or here for fish of the same weight. If you're chartering for halibut, the boat will supply the gear, so no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Hard to beat the Highway Angler for info.

The only other thing I would add is make sure you pick up an Alaska Department of Fish and Game regulation book. Many, many regulations in the State and believe me you don't want to be the guy using a treble hook in single hook water, or fishing on a Monday when it's a weekend only fishery, etc. etc.
    Adding to this is computer access to AK Fish and Game to check on Emergency Orders. Fisheries open, close, and limits change regurlary.

If you ever have questions, the majority of folks here love to chat and help folks out, plus you found the right site to pose Q's..

Have a great trip!

Jfish,
    I'm originally from Northern Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley. I have been in Alaska for over 20 years. Send me a PM and give me details of what you want to fish for. I live 40 miles north of Anchorage, but I travel from Cantwell to Paxson to Homer to fish. I mainly fly fish, but doesn't mean I can't knock the dust off the spinning gear to show you a few spots. Let me know what you have in mind and I can give you guide information for down south or show you a few roadside creeks up north or south. What dates in July are you going to be Alaska, is the first question.

Quote Originally Posted by jfish View Post
    Hello from SE Virginia. I have reservations to be in Alaska for 10 days is July doing the RV thing both north and south of Anchorage. My family does a lot of fishing both fresh and salt from small ponds to Atlantic Big Game but I have no idea what to bring with us to Alaska. Not sure if we will do any guided boat trips but will most definitely try our luck from the shore or wading. Will limit our attempt to spinning gear. Would love some suggestions regarding general line size, weight of lures typically used, rod length etc… Thanks in advance

Okay, so you want to enter the Combat Fishing Arena, eh? Okay. Most likely you're looking at the Kenai and the Russian Rivers. For starters, have a look at our new page on Sockeye Salmon Fishing AT THIS LINK. It's incomplete, but there's a tackle list and some other info you need to be aware of; spinning setups and the tackle you need for reds (sockeye salmon). We still need to do a lot of work on that page, but the basics are there. There is some excellent rainbow trout fishing available in the upper Kenai River, but for first timers I recommend going with a guide the first time. That way you get a pretty good idea how to rig up. Have a look in our Directory for information on local fishing guides.

In addition to the other books listed, you might have a look at Gunnar Pedersen's "Fishing Alaska's Kenai River" and Atcheson's "Fishing Alaska's Kenai Peninsula". With those resources you'll have more information than you know what to do with.

I don't know if you've made reservations for a campground for your RV, but if not, you might check out Max's little operation, Alaska Canoe and Campground. He's got RV campsites and a ton of stuff down there for you folks. He's very close to the Kenai River and has a wealth of knowledge about the area. He's a great connection down that way.

The middle of July can be kind of a flat spot in the red run. There are two runs of reds that come up the Kenai, and the middle of July is right between them. So the timing of your trip will determine where you are likely to find fish. It's possible that the second run will be in the lower river when you're here, but you'll want to talk to Max about the timing and best locations. The first run usually squirts right up the river and if you're not there during that two week period, you're out of luck. Most of the first run ends up in the Russian River, but the second run splits between the Kenai and the Russian, and is by far the largest and longest-lasting run. If you miss the reds, you've always got rainbows and Dolly Varden, not to mention some grayling fishing and a possibility of king (chinook) salmon in the Kenai. I wouldn't dream of a king trip without a guide if I were in your situation. Lots of guides down there and Max could probably make a recommendation of one of the better ones.

The other stuff up north is too much to write about right now... the king salmon fishing north of Anchorage is not so hot these days, but there is some pretty good rainbow and grayling action in places.

Shoot me a private message and I'll give you my number. You're welcome to call and I'd be happy to help you folks get pointed in the right direction. There are tons of details to this that may not have occurred to you. I am a commercial consultant for hunt planning, but for stuff like this I don't charge anything, so no worries there.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

As already mentioned, for self guided fishng a Highway Angler is a great tool for sure.

10 days in July...on the front end, middle, or back end of the month? makes a big difference IMHO.

if you would like to email or send a PM I may be able to assist you.

Hope your trip is grand and you catch lots of memories, and a few fish also.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default clueless

Thanks guys, appreciate your willingness to help, very cool. Pretty clear on the "Combat Fishing" benn there done that. Not fond of it but if you have ever heard of Hatteras North Carolina you know the deal... Found a few 1/2 river trips looking pretty interesting most likely will do at least one. I understand the guided trips typically provide gear however I am still looking for info on what I need to bring to hold me over along the shore. From what I have found thus far it seems that everything from spinners to cut bait are used. I have plenty of spinning outfits in the garage from 4# gear to heavier tuna jigging outfits. Just trying to figure out what to start planning on. Noticed the changing regs opening and closing dates. Will be sure to stay on it before wetting a hook.
    Mike, I will definitely look at the info you offered and as time nears will be PMing you for that call. We will be there July 6 thru 16th so hopefully we'll hit one of the runs.

Kaveman, went to Lord fairfax back int eh 80's still have good friend near Front Royal. Will be giving you a PM/phone call come spring any info would be a great help.

Realize it's still 5 months out but wanted to do this for ever and can't help but ask questions. Keep it coming guys thanks

I suspect I was fishing pretty close to you a year ago. We were chucking jigs up against the pilings on the bay bridge. I used the same spinning rod I use up here for silvers, catching stripers up to around 32". That's the one situation where I ran into a lot of current down your way. For kings in bigger rivers I'd probably step up to the same rod I use for tossing plugs to big cobia- 20# line and a rod spine for up to 4 oz. Guys up here tend to use heavier line for kings on the same rod, mostly for crowd dodging. If you get down to tidwater and can find pink salmon, that 4# rod will be dandy. Same for trout and grayling inland.

Brownbear. You very well may been close by at the Bridge Tunnel.. Grew up fishing that place and happen to work in the area daily. No question the current can be pretty swift around those pilings. Striper fishing in the Bay in recent years hasn't been nearly what it was say 8 years ago. However, the Ocean front was on fire for several weeks this year with not only 40+" stripers but a lot of blue fins in teh 150# range. Big blue fins in 40-50 feet of water equals a lot of dumped reels for the unsuspecting angler..lol..lol..

If I'm reading this correctly it sounds like I will actually need both a lighter weight outfit say 6-8# stuff, and a larger set up say in the 15-20# range for the bigger rivers. As time nears I will be asking mmore questions I am sure....

Default wader rentals

Another questio guys? Do they rent waders? I amthinking I would almost rather rent a pair of chest waders for the week instead of hauling them in my luggage for me and the sweetie..

Default searching this site

There is much to find on this site (google "outdoors forum" without the quotes and you'll see that nationwide, this site is listed as number one; that says something).

Secondly, (the mgmt here knows this, so I'm not speaking out of school) the search function built into this site sucks. Instead go to google.com and type this into the entry box

what you are searching for as separate words without quotes siteutdoorsdirectory.com

This will search for what you want but restrict the search to only this site.

Jfish I made the trip the last week in july, 2006. We had the time of our life. A few things I will tell you is to take rain gear and warm clothes. We was told that we would need shorts and a tee shirt up in the day. It was 38 degrees when we got there and seldom got above 50. You can not fish from daylight until dark like you can here. We bought hip boots and tackle up there cheaper than we could here. I got a 45 lb. king and we went on a charter out of Homer for halibut with all of us catching a limit. We also went on a float plane to Wolverine lake for silvers. We had no trouble catching reds ( I think ) that was running up the river. The run was just getting started when we got there and we could only keep 1 or 2 per day. The day we left they uped the limit to 6. I took my reels in my luggage and bought a 9 foot extra heavy ugly stick up there. Take a good camera, as you will see some of the pretiest places on earth. I live in north central North Carolina. Got to go now but will check back if I can help you with more information.

Another questio guys? Do they rent waders? I amthinking I would almost rather rent a pair of chest waders for the week instead of hauling them in my luggage for me and the sweetie..
    When you get here go by Walmart pick up a pair I'm sure if they even do rent them it will cost you more then $70 for the week

Most folks just use hip boots. I wear breathable chest waders, but I'm in and out of a raft all the time and it works better for me. If I were coming here for only a week I would just buy a pair of hippers when I got here. Walmart, Carr's Grocery Store, Sportsman's Warehouse... lots of places to buy cheap hip boots.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I agree, you dont need chest waders, hip boots will work just fine.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Been away for a few days enjoying some 85 degree sun and light winds in south Fla. Thanks for the info on the wader kinda thinkin I would just but some cheap ones for the lady once there. Still trying to figure out which rods to gear t pack like mentioned above I will buy the tackle once there I think. Will keep checking back here for more info thank again.

jfish,
    buy waders here, you can get a cheap pair at walmart or some place for 20-30 bucks. As for rods bring a spinner medium/heavy fast with 17-20 lb test. It will handle any thing you run into, except kings on the Kenai. The down side is if you go trout fishing its way over kill. Once you get here buy vibrax……….all colors and sizes. Not sure when you will be here in july but you may get to fish reds on the lower Kenai, or pinks, chums and a few reds up north on the parks. Make sure you get those books they will help you to get a better idea of where you need to go and when.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast