Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good Black Bear hunting spot

Default Looking for a good Black Bear hunting spot

Hello all i'v lived in the anchorage area for about 5 months now and am looking foward to spring black bear hunting. I'v read the reg book more times than i can count and have done some exploring of the area. I am looking to hunt black bear with a ruger 7mm rem mag, and would like to only travel 2-4 hours from Anchorage. I don't have a ATV just a pick up with all the hunting and camping gear. My ideal spot would be a place where i can park my truck set up camp for the weekend and hunt in the area. Any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks

Welcome to Alaska/the forum! There was a great post started by tex hunter two days ago that should answer our questions. Especially look at Brian's post because I found them most accurate. I've hunted in Hope once with success but the climbing was quite literally hell. Another idea would be to run up to Talkeetna. I've heard great things about up the area and I'm planning a trip for myself this year. Whatever you do good luck!

I would just look at the topo maps and try to find an area that interests you south of anchorage. Most of the area south south of girdwood has pretty good black bear habitat and you can park your truck and hike off the highway and be in good areas fairly quick.

Seriously.. You been here 5 months.. With 4 posts. The last 4 months have been snow with the bears in hibernation.Do some research and get out and explore.. No ones going to tell you a spot.. Everyone had to find one themselves.. And if they do tell you here.. On a open (public) forum.. Expect some company.. Their are hundreds of pages of useful info on here.. Read.. Read.. Read.. Put 2 and 2 together and make a plan.. A bear on a wall that is earned through hard work is better than one basically given to ya..

Some people's kids.........

Always open to helping guys out..but WOW!!
    you hit the nail on the head on that one...FORUM i.e.
    "A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure: a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread, and can be replied to by as many people as so wish."

DAYS and DAYS of information on here about this topic..welcome to AK, search this forum and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Seriously.. You been here 5 months.. With 4 posts. The last 4 months have been snow with the bears in hibernation.Do some research and get out and explore.. No ones going to tell you a spot.. Everyone had to find one themselves.. And if they do tell you here.. On a open (public) forum.. Expect some company.. Their are hundreds of pages of useful info on here.. Read.. Read.. Read.. Put 2 and 2 together and make a plan.. A bear on a wall that is earned through hard work is better than one basically given to ya..

President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post

A simple " the search function will yield many results " would of sufficed. Cabin fever setting in down there or what ? It doesnt get that dark and cold down there cant be too bad

I didn't want to sound like i wanted to steal someone elses hunting spot, just looking for some general info. Thanks Brian you info was helpful and it sounds like a good option.

shoot me a pm and I can at least point you in the right direction
    Dave

The bears are all over the place when you get an hour or two outside of Anchorage. Just head north or south and find a likely glassing spot and start glassing. Or you can find some nice clearings and do a bit of calling and see what comes in. Lots of options out there but you have to put the leg work in. In town a great option is Crow pass but it requires you to have a hunter education certification and register for the tag at fish and game, but it is close, cheap, and little pressure since it requires walking.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Your profile is setup to not allow pm's. You might want to change that or send me a pm..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    shoot me a pm and I can at least point you in the right direction
    Dave
    Well done Dave...send a PM. I wish more people did the same. Posting specific hunting locations on a public forum that is read by thousands is (at minimum) bad practice...of course just my opinion.

I'd recommend you attend the SCI Bear Hunting Seminar on 25 Feb at the Denaina Center. Joe Want, a Master Guide from Kodiak, usually puts on a great seminar, and you can mingle with scores of folks who are (or want to be) bear hunters. It's a great opportunity to ask lots of questions and gain some great insight into bear habits, hunt strategies, general hunt locations, field care, etc. It's free and open to the public. In addition, there are other seminars as well covering general hunting in AK. The previous evening also has raffles, auctions, taxidermy displays, and other hunting-related iems open to the public. You can soak up a lot of great info in a short amount of time, especially if you're new to AK and its unique hunting challenges. You DO NOT have to be an SCI member.

Here's more info and a link to the SCI Alaska page:

Safari Club International - Alaska Chapter
    Alaskan Hunting Expo &
    Sportsmanís Banquet

Two days of Raffles & Auctions of Fishing trips, Hunts from around the World, Fine furs & jewelry. Over 65 fine firearms to be raffled. Huge display of taxidermy with animals from all over the world, and a Photography contest.

Friday Feb 24th Open to the Public Doors open at 5:30pm

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - FREE SEMINARS

Room 1:
    9:00 AM to 4:00 PM - Bear Hunting by Joe Want

Room 2:
    9:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Join NRA-ILA Alaska State Liaison,
    Brian Judy and SCI Deputy Director of Governmental
    Affairs, Nelson Freeman as they lay out the ABCís for
    a Sportsmanís Victory this fall. If you are interested in
    your gun and hunting rights, join us for this informative
    seminar to see what you can do to make a difference.

1:00 PM to 3:00 PM - Intro to Hunting by Alaska
    Department of Fish and Game Staff

Room 3:
    9:00 AM to 11:00 AM - Gear Clinic for Alaskaís Diversity
    11:30 AM to 1:30 PM - Big Game Hunting In the Lower 48
    2:00 PM to 4:00 PM - Dreaming of Africa: Planning Your
    African Safari

SCI Alaska's website:

http://www.aksafariclub.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Well done Dave...send a PM. I wish more people did the same. Posting specific hunting locations on a public forum that is read by thousands is (at minimum) bad practice...of course just my opinion.
    thanks Doc, Yes iagree with you on the info part for sure. But at the same time I never mind helping hunters with questions that I have experience with,afterall isn't that what the forum is about : hunters helping hunters
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    thanks Doc, Yes iagree with you on the info part for sure. But at the same time I never mind helping hunters with questions that I have experience with,afterall isn't that what the forum is about : hunters helping hunters
    Dave
    No argument from me on the helping part...that IS why we're here.

I'm actually trying to help by saying that helping others through openly posting specific hunting locations read by thousands is bad practice...I'd go further and say public posting of specific hunting locations is an irresponsible way to help...PM seems like a much better way to provide that form of help.

As always just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No argument from me on the helping part...that IS why we're here.

I'm actually trying to help by saying that helping others through openly posting specific hunting locations read by thousands is bad practice...I'd go further and say public posting of specific hunting locations is an irresponsible way to help...PM seems like a much better way to provide that form of help.

As always just my opinion.
    absolutely right and thats good advice to anyone..... heard about it/seen it :mention a specific spot or fishing hole or something on the net like that and next day its mobbed....

Head south of Anchorage down the Seward about an hour or so and stop and glass hillsides along the way. You'll likely see some bears but getting to them is another story. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Welcome to Alaska/the forum! There was a great post started by tex hunter two days ago that should answer our questions. Especially look at Brian's post because I found them most accurate. I've hunted in Hope once with success but the climbing was quite literally hell. Another idea would be to run up to Talkeetna. I've heard great things about up the area and I'm planning a trip for myself this year. Whatever you do good luck!
    Just a word of caution for everyone reading this thread and thinking of running to Talkeetna for good bear hunting. The entire Talkeetna Spur Rd. is littered with private property. The amount of houses and cabins make it virtually impossible to set up a legal bait station. Dense forest makes it tough to spot and stalk. The areas legal to bait are littered with bait stations. If you are operating out of a truck or on foot it is going to be really tough to get a bear.

I don't want folks to think that I don't want people hunting in my back yard. Quite the opposite. I just want folks to be informed. I encourage folks to come visit and spend money in our bars and restaurants because that's where you are going to end up after being disgusted with the "good" black bear hunting in Talkeetna.

That's a great post Doug...tried to rep you but I'm apparently out of ammo for you.

Ha! Great info, Doug. I've always scratched my head when folks have suggested driving towards Talkeetna for black bear hunting. There isn't any good spot-and-stalk options off the road in that area that I'm aware of, but I never speak up because I figured maybe someone knew something that I didn't. Thanks for clarifying. Certainly there are options north of Talkeetna about 45 minutes or so once you get into the hills, but otherwise there are much better destinations than Talkeetna - especially given the private property issues that you point out.

I have a caribou trip planned north of the Brooks Reange in mid August and will have some extra time after that hunt and am intersted in driving south towards Fairbanks to a spot where I can do some spot and stalk bear hunting. I was thinking of turning off of the Dalton Hwy onto either the Elliot or Steese Hwys and looking for some areas where I could do some glassing and set up a small camp for a few days.

Anyone have any general info or pointers on this? I am not farmilar with the areas so I would be flying blind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast